Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Picture Forums > Cars & Bikes

Cars & Bikes Pictures of your toys. You can't be in the gym all the time.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
BigCat61
Lightweight Member

Diesel trucks: Ford or Dodge

Looking to buy a diesel, either a Ford or a Dodge. Opinions....
BigCat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
BryanB
Light-heavyweight Member

My 2005 Dadge 2500 has been flawless since new. My Ford owner friends are always having trouble. Definitely don't buy a new Ford diesel. That's straight from my boss's friend that runs the service dept at the local Ford dealer. Many emission equipment issues. They do make a Scorpion diesel engine but this is the first year for it. It requires some fuel additive that I believe is a dealer only option.
Check out "dieselstop.com" for diesel info

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider
BryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
BigCat61
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
My 2005 Dadge 2500 has been flawless since new. My Ford owner friends are always having trouble. Definitely don't buy a new Ford diesel. That's straight from my boss's friend that runs the service dept at the local Ford dealer. Many emission equipment issues. They do make a Scorpion diesel engine but this is the first year for it. It requires some fuel additive that I believe is a dealer only option.
Check out "dieselstop.com" for diesel info
I am looking at buying an 05 or an 06. IYO how many miles is too many?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Ken "Skip" Hill
Judge, Jury and Executioner

LOL

Whatever, Brian.

No matter what anyone drives, that is their choice of what is best. I have a Ford and it is even a 6 liter IH and it rocks. There were a LOT of 6 liter issues but I have had not one. My 250 is an 06 and I love it. The guys at ATS Diesel here in Denver will tell you that Fords are solid, as well, but that the 6 liters are a bitch especially if you are going to chip them.

I have nothing bad to say about Dodge or Chevy simply because I just don't know anything about them. I know Slide has a Dodge and I think he loves his, too. Not sure if he has had any problems, either.

Skip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
Facebook: Skip Hill
Instagram: IntenseMuscle
YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here:
Ken "Skip" Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Big_in_MT

The 5.9 Cummins is a shit hot engine. I think '06 was the last year for the 5.9. I'd avoid the 6.7 if you can. New emissions standards hurt the fuel mileage pretty bad on these. However, if you're a fair mechanic, you can tinker with the 6.7 to make it decent. As far as how many miles, a diesel engine will run forever if you keep up with the maintenance. I don't know shit about the powerstrokers though.
Big_in_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
BigCat61
Lightweight Member

I am actually leaning towards a Ford. It's going to be more of a toy then anything else. Looking for one w a lift and a few extras....
Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
BryanB
Light-heavyweight Member

Typical mileage is about 15k/yr so an 05 would have about 90k. I have 93k on mine and have hauled car and trailers Delaware to Florida to Colorado. I get 22mpg highway and the absolute worst I got was moving to Colorado at 16mpg once I hit Kansas and that is truck & trailer weighing in at 16k. Let hear some of the fuel mileages on those Fords...Skip?

Old 07-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:
Let hear some of the fuel mileages on those Fords...Skip?
LOL

Touche'.

I have to admit that I don't do too well on gas mileage. Still, I look pretty fucking cool so that is all I care about.

That is why I would love to chip the thing but I was told not to unless I wanted it to be high-maintenance.... and I don't.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
BryanB
Light-heavyweight Member

On the plus side, you do have that killer horn

Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:
On the plus side, you do have that killer horn
EXACTLY.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
brineal
Intense Muscle Competitor

ford owns cummins diesel so even if youre rolling in a dodge, youve got a ford under the hood, i always laugh when dodge guys talk shit about ford cause that engine you love so much aint mopar...

"There is no substitute for strength, and no excuse for the lack of it"

"Two pains in life: pain of hard work and pain of regret"
brineal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
slide
Intense Set of the Month December 2009

I have a Dodge Ram (2008) and absolutely love it and (knock on wood), havent had any problems with it. It is not diesel...however, it is tuned. And I get around 11-12mpg right now.

And, as with Skip, I look cool, so I dont really care. Thanks to Skip, it (uh, I mean I) will look even more badass after this weekend.

If you arent partial to either...find the best deal and go with it. As with everything, you will have people that love/hate both...but, if you can get a good deal...run with it.

I drove Ford all my life because my family worked there...but, I just wanted to change it up with a Ram a few years ago.

-slide

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
steel1970
Intense Muscle Competitor

Just food for thought....I am in the construction industry where trucks are a MUST, and EVERYONE I know who has any type of a fleet (3 or more trucks for argument's sake) has Fords....I used to be a Ford man exclusively, but not diesels. I only recently made the switch to Chevy simply because the warranty was MUCH better for me regarding mileage. I like my Chevy (gas), but I do MISS my Ford. My 2000 F350 was the best and coolest and strongest truck I EVER had. I miss her deeply....lol. That being said, my brother in law has a big landscape company and probably has about 20 trucks, all Fords. His brother owns an even BIGGER landscape company, probably 60 trucks, all Fords. In fact, they were the guys who helped me pick out my 2000 when I was contracted to snow plow for them. I have very limited experience with Dodge, but Ford's track record speaks for itself. I know guys who have Ford diesels still on the road after 15 years for work trucks....I had my 2000 gas model on the road till 2008 until I traded it (needed a crew cab). I went thru 6 seasons of snow plowing and averaged more than 50 hours per season (other 2 years we had no snow). The only thing I had to do to that truck other than regular maintenance was change the alternator once and battery, and a front wheel assembly thing went during snow (forget what it's called, something with the hub that cost me about $900)....I don't think you can go wrong with any truck of today, as it seems they are almost all built the same to a certain extent, but you will def never go wrong with a Ford. I say this as I am about to run my Chevy thru the car wash...lol

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"
steel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
BigCat61
Lightweight Member

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
dbik

Straight out of the box, stock truck...ford. If you are planning on tuning it at all...dodge. Before you tune your engine more than 10% over stock numbers, plan on dropping a couple grand on your transmission...of either truck. Torque numbers get disgustingly awesome on diesels...automatic transmissions hate that. If you are interested NDHRA's website has all the records of every class of truck they track. 90% of them are held by chevy and dodge...VERY few fords in any of the records.
dbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
steve302
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel1970 View Post
Just food for thought....I am in the construction industry where trucks are a MUST, and EVERYONE I know who has any type of a fleet (3 or more trucks for argument's sake) has Fords....I used to be a Ford man exclusively, but not diesels. I only recently made the switch to Chevy simply because the warranty was MUCH better for me regarding mileage. I like my Chevy (gas), but I do MISS my Ford. My 2000 F350 was the best and coolest and strongest truck I EVER had. I miss her deeply....lol. That being said, my brother in law has a big landscape company and probably has about 20 trucks, all Fords. His brother owns an even BIGGER landscape company, probably 60 trucks, all Fords. In fact, they were the guys who helped me pick out my 2000 when I was contracted to snow plow for them. I have very limited experience with Dodge, but Ford's track record speaks for itself. I know guys who have Ford diesels still on the road after 15 years for work trucks....I had my 2000 gas model on the road till 2008 until I traded it (needed a crew cab). I went thru 6 seasons of snow plowing and averaged more than 50 hours per season (other 2 years we had no snow). The only thing I had to do to that truck other than regular maintenance was change the alternator once and battery, and a front wheel assembly thing went during snow (forget what it's called, something with the hub that cost me about $900)....I don't think you can go wrong with any truck of today, as it seems they are almost all built the same to a certain extent, but you will def never go wrong with a Ford. I say this as I am about to run my Chevy thru the car wash...lol
very true, the company I worked for buys about 20 trucks every other year. All Fords. Got a good deal on chevy one time, and they all shit the bed under heavey abuse and the fords from the last lot were still being worked.

That being said I own a chevy diesal and love it for personal use... and if you are not in construction where you are hauling heavy shit ALL the time.

I dont think you can go wrong with anybrand
steve302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
Musclehngry
Bantamweight Member

Had a Ford '06 250 6.0L and loved it, I now have a '11 Dodge 2500 6.7L and I love it. It is really up to you as they are somewhat different animals!
Musclehngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Gittyup

I have a 99 F350 Crew. and love it but that still has the 7.3 Powerstroke.

Notes on the Ford 6.0. They can be a good motor do the EGR delete. If buying used make sure prior it was not chipped, if it was, look at the coolant, keep in mind the problem was if they did get chipped, and a lot of boost was obtained driving, the motor more than likely strechted the head bolts, you can fix that but guess what the cab has to be moved to change the head bolts.

Only notes I can say about dodge is the tranny. Often that was the weak link in the driveline. Had I not found the Ford I was going to buy a Dodge next....

Dont know if that helps.

& I see this is almost a year old.... nothing to see here... sure you got a truck by now.

Last edited by Gittyup; 07-18-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Gittyup is offline   Reply With Quote