Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claybear
    • Aug 2011

Reg Park 5x5

Reg Park was the inspiration for a young Arnold Schwarzenegger to pick up his first set of weights.

Thoughts on this for an intermediate?
    Ability without honor is useless - Cicero

Hang them with the chains they enslave you with
  • LG1
    Super-heavyweight Member
    • Feb 2009

Any 5x5 program is a pretty solid option IMO.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

• andrewR
      Bantamweight Member
      • Aug 2010

It's a solid routine. As an intermediate you may not be able to handle as frequent heavy loading as a beginner. A beginner can get by with frequent heavy loading (3x a week) because they aren't really strong enough to stress themselves beyond their body's ability to recover. As you start lifting heavier weights, you tend to have to fluctuate intensity somehow or reduce frequency. An easy way to fluctuate intensity in the linked workout would be to simply add a light workout as Workout C. This could still be sets of 5, but at a reduced weight or simply a higher rep pump workout. Take a look at some of the other 5x5 full body intermediate variations and see how they fluctuate intensity from workout to workout.

Also, how strong are you? What's your 1RM on bench, oh press, squat, deadlift, etc.? If you haven't made solid gains in those already, the workout could definitely work well just as is.

Comment

• Claybear
        • Aug 2011

Thanks for the replies and help. I'm 153lbs at 5'5 squat 320 atg, bench 230, deadlift 350, shoulder press 155. A Bill Starr/Madcow program is what I've been using for a long while now. I'm a student so I can eat and sleep as much as needed to help recovery. Even with that though do you think this would be too difficult to recover from?

Comment

• LG1
          Super-heavyweight Member
          • Feb 2009

I personally utilized stronglifts5x5!
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

• andrewR
            Bantamweight Member
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Claybear
            Thanks for the replies and help. I'm 153lbs at 5'5 squat 320 atg, bench 230, deadlift 350, shoulder press 155. A Bill Starr/Madcow program is what I've been using for a long while now. I'm a student so I can eat and sleep as much as needed to help recovery. Even with that though do you think this would be too difficult to recover from?
            Have you been making progress on madcow? If so, I'd stick with that. It's a solid routine that I've used in the past with success. The weekly progress works perfectly for an intermediate since they usually aren't going to be able to progress every workout like a beginner would from frequent loading.

Comment

• Claybear
              • Aug 2011

Madcow has done very well for me and really helped to set me on the path of understanding basic programming. I saw that article and really liked the look and feel of it but wanted to get someone else's opinion on it to make sure I wasn't about to spin my wheels for a few months trying to make this work. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...