Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RZIDE
    • Feb 2014

Bench tips

I have been trying to add some heavy overload work to the end of some of my lifts. I don't really power lift but I like to go 1x1-3 at about 80-100% set at the end of Squat, Bench and deadlift. But, I struggle with the bottom portion when I do barbell bench. I have a decently explosive lockout once I get about half way through my ROM.

Anyone have some tips or trick to focus on the bottom half of the bench movement?

Thanks all.
  • TLopez
    Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1260 total in the 165 class / ISOM Old School Winner December 2013
    • Sep 2010

Slingshot.

Powerlifters, Weightlifters, CrossFitters, Bodybuilders, and Fitness Enthusiasts looking to achieve maximum strength - browse Mark Bell's best powerlifting gear, training information, exclusive advice and shop all things Sling Shot!
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

• Colokrom
      Light-heavyweight Member
      • Nov 2015

I think you would be better off doing pause reps or pin presses on the rack. Pin presses/dead press helped me alot when I did a grip change

Comment

• Adam2433
        IntenseMuscle Competitor
        • Aug 2004

I second the slingshot recommendation. Reverse band work would also be a good idea for overload work. However overload work will not help you out of the hole as much as it will with top end lock out. Pin presses would exclusively work lock out. Unless Colokrom is referring to a dead bench where the rack is set at or just above your chest. I am not a fan of those though because I see far too many people do them without being able to maintain bench form. Instead they allow there body to break form to seek better leverage points. This helps for the particular movement but will teach bad habits.

For bottom end strength I would suggest ensuring legitimate competition length pauses. Band work that will require you to fire out of the hole and out race the bands to the top will also help. Flat dumbbell press with pauses at the bottom is also a good movement as long as you're careful to not overstretch.
        Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

• Colokrom
          Light-heavyweight Member
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Adam2433
          I second the slingshot recommendation. Reverse band work would also be a good idea for overload work. However overload work will not help you out of the hole as much as it will with top end lock out. Pin presses would exclusively work lock out. Unless Colokrom is referring to a dead bench where the rack is set at or just above your chest. I am not a fan of those though because I see far too many people do them without being able to maintain bench form. Instead they allow there body to break form to seek better leverage points. This helps for the particular movement but will teach bad habits.

For bottom end strength I would suggest ensuring legitimate competition length pauses. Band work that will require you to fire out of the hole and out race the bands to the top will also help. Flat dumbbell press with pauses at the bottom is also a good movement as long as you're careful to not overstretch.
          Yea 10-4 on that, referring to dead presses starting at the bottom. I started with very light weight and worked my way up. Worked extraordinarily well. I found it to help me keep form rather than take it away. But everyone is different.
          Adam is spot on with overload work.
          Last edited by Colokrom; 12-03-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• nexa
            Intense Muscle Competitor
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by RZIDE
            I don't really power lift but I like to go 1x1-3 at about 80-100% set at the end of Squat, Bench and deadlift. But, I struggle with the bottom portion when I do barbell bench. I have a decently explosive lockout once I get about half way through my ROM.

You do heavy singles-triples with every workout?
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

• RZIDE
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by nexa
              You do heavy singles-triples with every workout?
              I usually take a week off from the the heavy stuffy every couple weeks. Just depends on how I am feeling with strength and any injuries/soreness.

I try to progressively work up in weight and reps until i cruise, so heavy singles would only be the couple weeks before a deload.

Thanks for all the advice, i will definitely try working in some pause work.

Comment

• Uncxrt
                Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 308lb Raw Club Total 1923
                • Aug 2012

For help getting stronger off the chest, do dead bench.
                IG - smadayjr
                YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

• Colokrom
                  Light-heavyweight Member
                  • Nov 2015

Wow nice total Uncxrt:hail:

Comment

• MaxNat
                    Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1262
                    • Mar 2006

Spoto presses (stopping just short of your chest on the bottom with everything tight and your lats loaded, and pausing at the bottom before you explode up), and dead bench.
                    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

• Adam2433
                      IntenseMuscle Competitor
                      • Aug 2004

After everyone recommending dead bench maybe I will have to give it another try after this next meet. Colokrom, I think I will take your advice and start light and only work up as form allows.

Comment

• RZIDE
                        • Feb 2014

After everyone recommending dead bench maybe I will have to give it another try after this next meet. Colokrom, I think I will take your advice and start light and only work up as form allows.
                        Same here, does anyone have any recommendations as to when and how often to do them? Like every rep vs the last couple reps of the last set....

Comment

• Adam2433
                          IntenseMuscle Competitor
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by RZIDE
                          Same here, does anyone have any recommendations as to when and how often to do them? Like every rep vs the last couple reps of the last set....
                          You're misunderstanding what a dead bench is. I believe all bench press reps should be paused on the chest no matter how many reps are in the set. Practice how you play.

A dead bench is setting the spot pins on a power rack as close to your chest as possible. Lay the barbell across it and load it up to the desired weight. Now wiggle under the bar and set your form just as you would a normal bench press. Except now the set starts at the bottom or a "dead" stop. You don't get the benefit of the eccentric portion of the rep and the stretch reflex. You are forced to drive hard out of the hole. Does that make sense?

As I mentioned above I have seen many people do them but break form very easily to try to gain better leverage. It is only human nature. You have to keep super tight and disciplined. Colokrom suggested starting very light and working up slowly as your ability improves.

May I ask what your lifting experience is and current bench press is? I am starting to get the hint that perhaps some of these techniques is beyond your level of development. You may simply benefit from working on correct form, progressive overload and learning to pause.

Comment

• TLopez
                            Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1260 total in the 165 class / ISOM Old School Winner December 2013
                            • Sep 2010

Dead bench is a great accessory. I used them training for my last 2 meets. They are a bitch. And, as Adam said before, it is very easy to break form. That being said, start light and work from there.

It feels like you're trapped under a car and you're trying to lift it off of you.
                            2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

• RZIDE
                              • Feb 2014

You're misunderstanding what a dead bench is. I believe all bench press reps should be paused on the chest no matter how many reps are in the set. Practice how you play.

A dead bench is setting the spot pins on a power rack as close to your chest as possible. Lay the barbell across it and load it up to the desired weight. Now wiggle under the bar and set your form just as you would a normal bench press. Except now the set starts at the bottom or a "dead" stop. You don't get the benefit of the eccentric portion of the rep and the stretch reflex. You are forced to drive hard out of the hole. Does that make sense?

As I mentioned above I have seen many people do them but break form very easily to try to gain better leverage. It is only human nature. You have to keep super tight and disciplined. Colokrom suggested starting very light and working up slowly as your ability improves.

May I ask what your lifting experience is and current bench press is? I am starting to get the hint that perhaps some of these techniques is beyond your level of development. You may simply benefit from working on correct form, progressive overload and learning to pause.
                              Ive been lifting for about 10 years. Strictly powerlifted for 1 year and more bodybuilding oriented lifting for the last 2. Anything before that was sport specific. So I still have a lot to learn but I feel like I have the basics down well.

I do apologize, I misinterpreted what was meant by Dead stop. what you have described above I had known as pin presses. I had assumed what was described as dead stop was to lower to your chest, pause , then continue with the press back up. Hence why I asked about sets and reps. My fault lol.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the confusion.
                              Last edited by RZIDE; 12-04-2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...