X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HouseOfAtlas
    Middleweight Member
    • Apr 2006

Higher fat diet = sore joints?

I wanted to get some opinions on this subject.

A year or so ago, I started on the Metabolic (aka Anabolic) Diet. Its where one would eat moderate-high fat/high protein during the week and then go high carb/moderate fat with little protein on the weekend.

The idea behind the Metabolic Diet is that you transform your body from burning carbs as energy to burning bodyfat as energy. The carb up on the weekends is suppose to keep one out of ketosis.

What myself and others (over at T-Nation that are willing to admit it) have experienced was increased soreness of the joints. I'm not even that lean, so is it possible the body is burning fat that helps support the joints also? Or is it just a coincidence?

I've followed this type of diet for a while now because I'm carb sensitive, but is it possible this diet made me more carb sensitive? Just like sodium. If you go from a low sodium diet and then have 4000mg of it in one day, you'll start sweating alot. But, if your sodium intake is consistent (even if somewhat high), you won't get that feeling. Is it possible to reverse carb sensitivity by eating more carbs and letting the body get used to it as its main source of energy? Or would that be a bad idea?

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated
  • Sammich
    Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
    • Nov 2005

I have noticed that when I go low on carbs my joints (especialy knees) hurt after a few days. I have no idea what the underlying process is, nor do I have any idea how to cure it, except by eating carbs.

I just wanted to share in your misery. :smow:
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

• HouseOfAtlas
      Middleweight Member
      • Apr 2006

LOL! Thanks

I probably should start up on some MSM and some other joint supplements, but would rather not unless its a necessity.

Comment

• homonunculus
        Super Moderator/Round Table Expert
        Admin
        • Feb 2004

This may be related to having lower body water content when you drop carbs a/o go into ketosis.

Assuming you don't have blood pressure issues, I would try adding some sodium to your diet on the low carb days and making sure you drink plenty of water before and during your workout.

Would be interested to hear if that helps you out.

-R
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

• HouseOfAtlas
          Middleweight Member
          • Apr 2006

Thanks, homonunculus, for the suggestion. I'll eat some pickles and see if it helps me out, along with more water around workout time.

Comment

• homonunculus
            Super Moderator/Round Table Expert
            Admin
            • Feb 2004

Cool.

-R
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Working...