• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Massive G
    Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jeremyfisher
    A question:

I've just started DC - 2 weeks now. Just getting used to the routine which is going well so far.

One issue I have is that I've put on a lot of fat around my abs in the last month - I was too easy going with food over Christmas! On one hand I want to eat high volume as per the DC regime but on the other I know I need to lose abdominal fat and really feel like I should be dieting. I wondering if I just continue eating well but high volume and in the long term the abdominal fat will come off, or if I should do some variation on the diet, or just do more cardio (I already run 20miles a week). What would you advise?
    you can still eat a lot and not gain fat lean proteins veggies some EFA's and moderate amounts of carbs...follow the carb cut off.
    If gaining mass is your goal you should only do anabolic cardio as I call it on days off-it helps recouperation and keeps appetite up..the other good sides are it's good for the wind (heart and lungs) and keeps the metabolism up.

I do about 20 minutes on an off day-10 minutes tread mill and ten minutes elliptical...it's important not to overdo it...
    Massive G
    Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

• Rictor54
      • Mar 2008

I try to do some cardio on off-days; I know HIIT is not a popular choice here, but I hate to feel like I'm getting slower/less athletic.. I usually do 20 mins HIIT with 5-6 45sec bursts of 11-12mph on the treadmill (not on the weeks I do workout b twice) .. Otherwise if I have extra time I try to fit in 20 minutes after my workouts.

Comment

• rezistor
        Lightweight Member
        • Jan 2010

I also do HIIT and have had good results from it. However, I only do it once or twice a week since it heavily taxes the CNS, and along with the weights training I do not want to risk overtraining. On other days I do lower intensity cardio, but still high intensity, shorter sessions. I do limit my cardio as I also believe it can reduce muscle gains.

I'm of the opinion that, along with the multitude of benefits resulting from HIIT, that it does not necessarily have to interfere with anabolism. This is why HIIT is so effective because it's short enough that it only utilizes glucose for energy but intense enough to raise the metabolic rate for 24 hours or more. What one has to be careful about, knowing this, is not to attempt HIIT after weights - only do it on off days. Also, you do have a slightly higher risk of injury with HIIT (I personally have never had any injuries with HIIT since I warm up really well, but the risk is there).

Slow-go cardio is great for those who are on low carb diets and don't want to risk gluconeogenisis (I used to do it when I was doing keto). I personally hate spending upwards to 2 hours a day doing cardio on a boring treadmill when I really don't see the need.

Comment

• jeremyfisher
          • Jan 2010

Thanks for the advice.

Good cario is too important to me to stop. I'll reduce my long runs and do HIIT instead which suits my desire to keep a very strong aerobic base.

The solution to my fat crisis would seem to be to eat lots of protein but cut down the carbs.

Comment

• rezistor
            Lightweight Member
            • Jan 2010

Seems like a good place to start Jeremy. Diet is what ultimately determines body composition. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

• betito
              Light-heavyweight Member
              • Nov 2006

I don´t like to throw egg yolks so when I want more fat free protein I just throw a can of tuna (in water) in the omelete... Somthing like 3-4 whole eggs, a can of tuna and some mushrooms for a little flavor... anybody do this? makes sense?

Comment

• Massive G
                • Apr 2004

Cardio is very individualistic. The bigger and stronger you get the more cardio like hit will impact gains if it is over done. My HR gets up to 150-160 just walking briskly up and down hills around here-and at times when I want to up the intesity I will add a 30-30 lb weight vest or more and hit it.
                I wish I could do it 3 times a day on my off days, as over X-mas break I walked 2 times a day 3 20 minute sessions in my neighborhood which I walk up and down hills on sidewalks.
                Very effective for recoup if you don't over do it, and I will have a mini powo shake after each session..
                Massive G
                Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

Comment

• dropshot001
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rictor54
                  I try to do some cardio on off-days; I know HIIT is not a popular choice here, but I hate to feel like I'm getting slower/less athletic.. I usually do 20 mins HIIT with 5-6 45sec bursts of 11-12mph on the treadmill (not on the weeks I do workout b twice) .. Otherwise if I have extra time I try to fit in 20 minutes after my workouts.
                  if you are worried about the bolded words above then you may never be able to reap all the benefits from dc. dc is about taking a bodybuilder and moving him from point a to point b the fastest. it is a no holds barred approach. will you get slower/less athletic, yes, i believe so, but the point of the program is not to help you retain/improve upon your athletic skills, it is to make you into a monster.

Comment

• Rictor54
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by dropshot001
                    if you are worried about the bolded words above then you may never be able to reap all the benefits from dc. dc is about taking a bodybuilder and moving him from point a to point b the fastest. it is a no holds barred approach. will you get slower/less athletic, yes, i believe so, but the point of the program is not to help you retain/improve upon your athletic skills, it is to make you into a monster.
                    I understand this and am willing to trade speed for size, but I still would like to hang on to as much athleticism as possible. After years of conventional programs I have finally found something that makes me excited to workout and a window to compete with myself at the gym. I do not see myself going back to any type of normal program (barring injury) ever again..

Comment

• dice77
                      Heavyweight Member
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Adam2433
                      this is a little bit of the overanalyzing that G is talking about. plus remember hes listing what he was eating at 318lbs. its safe to say if your eating a ton of food including surrounding your workouts youll be primed to make solid gains.
                      I can see where you are thinking I'm overanalyzing. I was thinking more along the lines of "fine tuning." Thanks for pointing that out to me. I don't think I was asking my question clearly.

I guess a better way to phrase it is if I down a post shake right after my workout (50g whey, 25g casein), how soon after that could my next whole food meal be? If I'm hungry, just eat when I get home 15 minutes later? Or is too much for my body to digest in such a short time?

Comment

• Ironraider
                        Light-heavyweight Member
                        • May 2007

Hey MG...great thread and thanks for devoting your time to keep it roll'n. I have a question on carb choices. You mentioned pots/rice/pasta. What are your thoughts on green veggies and fruits and why would you choose one over the other?

Thanks bro!
                        When you're a hammer...the rest of the world looks like a nail...

You are at war with your logbook. Don't focus on the war, focus on the day to day battle and your victory in the war will be assured

Comment

• w8tlifterty
                          • Aug 2004

Great thread

Hey Mg, I first wanted to thank you for all the info you provide on the boards. Younger guys like me have been following your advice for years w/ great success.

I am Natural (off aas for almost 2yrs, use to compete npc), 27, and stuck at 210lbs, 5'8 (8-9%bf currently). A lot of people are telling me I've probably maxed out my 'genetic potential' but my love for this sport permits me from believing that. I am not just ok with maintaining and never have been (on gear or not) Shit, that is the reason most of us love this... Constant progression.
                          I supplement pretty much exactly the way you recommend, with added beef liver tabs and coq10. Tons of green tea, multi's, vit. e, vit. d, bromelain, etc.
                          Here is my diet currently...

My macros themselves will change a bit depending on training days or not. Usually i go around 350 g pro a day, 125-150 g carbs and roughly 100 g fat. Around 3500 for the day. I will cycle this at times... On off days if feeling i'm putting on fat i drop carbs <100 a day and raise good fats.

My typical day intake includes--
                          Grass fed beef -- 1-1.5lb a day 100% grass fed
                          8oz wild salmon
                          About 20-30 egg whites (I just use regular eggs for the whites)
                          4-10 whole eggs (free range)
                          3-3 tblsn grass fed butter
                          2-4 pieces of fruit or..... -An occasional cup of brown rice or Quinoa-
                          Large amts of either olive oil or coconut oil (if i have a lot of olive oil one day i will switch to coconut oil the next)
                          Occasional almonds here and there
                          1 + Brocolli or other green veggies
                          3-4 days a week i will have beef liver for breakfast with eggs...
                          This is consistent and done on a daily basis, no off days with my nutrition. I get in tons of good, whole, clean calories everyday.
                          Massive, what else can I do to bust this plateau, My goal is to reach 220 at 10% or less completely natty! I beleive I am decently strong... and have stalled out somewhat there too.... I squat 495 for 5 reps (atg), dead 500 for 6-8 reps (no straps) and bench 350 for 4 reps. Any suggestions to bust thru this rut? Thanks
                          Everyone dies, not everyone lives.

Do what makes you happy.....

Comment

• Jared Ragsdale
                            TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer
                            • Apr 2006

Great thread G, always very informative.
                            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                            www.316fit.com
                            Email: [email protected]

Comment

• Massive G
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by w8tlifterty
                              Hey Mg, I first wanted to thank you for all the info you provide on the boards. Younger guys like me have been following your advice for years w/ great success.

I am Natural (off aas for almost 2yrs, use to compete npc), 27, and stuck at 210lbs, 5'8 (8-9%bf currently). A lot of people are telling me I've probably maxed out my 'genetic potential' but my love for this sport permits me from believing that. I am not just ok with maintaining and never have been (on gear or not) Shit, that is the reason most of us love this... Constant progression.
                              I supplement pretty much exactly the way you recommend, with added beef liver tabs and coq10. Tons of green tea, multi's, vit. e, vit. d, bromelain, etc.
                              Here is my diet currently...

My macros themselves will change a bit depending on training days or not. Usually i go around 350 g pro a day, 125-150 g carbs and roughly 100 g fat. Around 3500 for the day. I will cycle this at times... On off days if feeling i'm putting on fat i drop carbs <100 a day and raise good fats.

My typical day intake includes--
                              Grass fed beef -- 1-1.5lb a day 100% grass fed
                              8oz wild salmon
                              About 20-30 egg whites (I just use regular eggs for the whites)
                              4-10 whole eggs (free range)
                              3-3 tblsn grass fed butter
                              2-4 pieces of fruit or..... -An occasional cup of brown rice or Quinoa-
                              Large amts of either olive oil or coconut oil (if i have a lot of olive oil one day i will switch to coconut oil the next)
                              Occasional almonds here and there
                              1 + Brocolli or other green veggies
                              3-4 days a week i will have beef liver for breakfast with eggs...
                              This is consistent and done on a daily basis, no off days with my nutrition. I get in tons of good, whole, clean calories everyday.
                              Massive, what else can I do to bust this plateau, My goal is to reach 220 at 10% or less completely natty! I beleive I am decently strong... and have stalled out somewhat there too.... I squat 495 for 5 reps (atg), dead 500 for 6-8 reps (no straps) and bench 350 for 4 reps. Any suggestions to bust thru this rut? Thanks

hey W8 thanks for the word I appreciate it I recognize you from a few other boards as well (Pro M for one).

You diet looks very well balanced and primed to feed the muscles optimally.
                              One thing you may try with the diet is to increase the complex carbs a bit and drop some fat cals to off set the total cals. Play around with the macros a bit. Are you refeeding at all? You may want to try that adding in some more carbs on the weekend, as the diet looks good but is pretty low carb.

My question would center on training-what type are you doing? You look like you are training pretty hard.
                              I only ask because your gains have stagnated ...the diet is in check but if the body is in an overtrained state it's pretty much going to store fat and lose muscle.

What does your pre/post drink look like?
                              I would also get a full panel done for hormonal profile to see where you stand as many younger guys who are clean have somewhat suppresed HPTA's from the environmental estrogens alone.
                              Massive G
                              Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

Comment

• Massive G
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fade
                                Great thread G, always very informative.
                                Thanks Fade, you got a lot of potential in the sport and have already fulfilled a lot of it at your age and still growing...keep at it.
                                Massive G
                                Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

Comment

Working...