Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > General Conversation Forum

General Conversation Forum Casual talk for off-topic discussions.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
bruno
Intense Set of the Month winner April, May, July, August and September 2008

Read any good books lately?

I thought it could be cool to get a thread going where people could recommend good books they have read. With Christmas vacation approaching I have some time some free time and am always looking for good things to read. I haven't done any pleasure reading in awhile because of school.

I just bought "I Hope They Serve in Hell" today on the recommendation of some people here and look forward to that. The last book I read my "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers and I thought it was pretty good.

Anyone got any recommendations? Let's keep this thread to non gym-related books.

Use BNB559 as a discount code at checkout from trueprotein.com for a hefty discount. You will not regret it.

Here is some of my lifting. Please subscribe to my channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
--XXX--
Intense Set of the Month November 2009, April 2010

Im finishing a book called "Rich Dad Poor Dad", by Robert Kiyosaki. It a story of one man's journey growning up leaning about money from two very different people. One was his father the other was a friends father. Very informative for anyone interested in basic priciples of making money work for you instead of working for money. I wish I read this when I was 22.

YOU DON'T ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOU STAND UNTIL YOU KNOW THAT YOU WON'T RUN AWAY.

My DC log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photo Journal:
--XXX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Jeff Grant
Intense Muscle Competitor

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's sort of a prequil to The Lord of the Rings trilogy. He spent his entire life writing the mythology of this book, and this is the work he was most proud of. This is the 3rd time I'm reading it. The first 20 or 30 pages you have no idea what is going on, but just be patient, it gets really good.

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

Jeff Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
kscowboy

Rich Dad Poor Dad is a good book.

But one of my favorite books is Tuesdays With Morey by Mitch Album. One of the best books i have read. Its about stopping to smell the roses cause life will pass you by and what you thought was important really isnt. PLEASE read this book. It starts off kinda slow but had me with tears in my eyes at several different points within it. It can be close to home if you think about it. KS
kscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
breck
Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter and Competitive Bodybuilder 1000lb Raw Club

Bruno, "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" is the funniest shit i have ever read. It took me back to college and made me realize everything i thought i had done was bad, really is not the awful compared to Tucker Max.

I would recommend the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, Wins, Loses and Life Lessons by Lous holtz. I also just read Tony Dungy's book, but i forgot the title. I liked it though.

Lonesome Dove is good too..no joke.
2008 HOA Natural Classic
NPC Mid-Illinois
NPC Midwest Open
NPC Natural Grand Prix
2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
USPA Illinois State
NGA Heart of America
NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM
order - Use Code RHB606
breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
Thrashsatan
Middleweight Member

http://www.intensemuscle.com/38348-b...e-reading.html

" - So what is discipline? -Mike Tyson: Discipline is doing what you hate to do, but nonetheless doing it like you love it. - And how do you that?
-Mike Tyson: [Smiles] With discipline.
"
Thrashsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
bruno
Intense Set of the Month winner April, May, July, August and September 2008

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Use BNB559 as a discount code at checkout from trueprotein.com for a hefty discount. You will not regret it.

Here is some of my lifting. Please subscribe to my channel:
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
jwtiger69
Lightweight Member

I have a hard time reading. The last book I finished took me a year to finish...

My favorite book which I have read at least 3 times is Ender's Game. There are a couple books in the series, but I haven't read them yet. I am trying to get into reading Star Wars books. I know I am a geek , but if I am going to read it has to be something that is something I like.

My Journal-
jwtiger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
Adam2433
IntenseMuscle Competitor

"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell
"On Call in Hell" by Dr Richard Jadick
"Fallujah With Honor" by Gary Livingston ---> my favorite only because me and my picture are in it
Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
boondocksmuscle
Super-heavyweight Member

If you are looking at fiction I really like Clive Cussler. For anyone who has seen the movie Sahara, Cussler was the author of the book it was based on. He has a series of books that revolve around the main character Dirk Pitt, one series that follows a character named Kurt Austin, and a series based on a character name Juan Cabrillo.

He also has a couple nonfiction books as well that I haven't gotten around to reading but am going to.

Of course books by Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, and Dan Brown are good too.

I got a book today called The Screwtape Letters (author CS Lewis) that looks interesting too.

Remember, if you canít pick it, grow it, or kill it, you shouldnít be eating it.- Justin Harris

Bodybuilding is stressful. The joy is seeing how incredibly the body adapts. The smart thing is to keep the machine as healthy as possible along the way, IMO.- Homon[/FONT]
boondocksmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #11
olinerules87
Light-heavyweight Member

If you like the Godfather movies the books are even better

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
1 Timothy 4:8
olinerules87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
gabi

"What the Dog Saw" - Malcolm Gladwell

excellent non-fiction writer that writes about all sorts of interesting things you would never find interesting until you read about them... his latest is a collection of his articles while he was writing for a newspaper i believe
gabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
iron05
Heavyweight Member

The Answer to Cancer: Is never giving it a chance to start
SuperFood Rx

Basic Medical Biochemistry

anything by Malcolm Gladwell
recent releases by Dr. Howard Gardner of Harvard

"The brain can subjugate anything, even real pain."
-Bruce Lee
iron05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Jared Ragsdale
TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer

I will third Malcolm Gladwell.. Enjoyed the tipping point and blink. I have a feeling outliers and what the dog saw are both just as good.

Neil Gaiman does a good job with fiction writing as well.

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
FB:

Email:

Jared Ragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
neme
Lightweight Member

lol you guys beat me to it... Gladwell For the Win

Four Hour Work Week
Trading in the Zone
The E Myth Revised
Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
Bonechiro

I usually tend to stick with non-fiction when I have free time, I just like learning new stuff

The Red Queen - Matt Ridley - Interesting stuff about sex and evolution
Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
The Origin Diet - Somers