Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound > Pound Puppy Forum

Pound Puppy Forum Newbie questions and answers related to DOGGCRAPP concepts and DC training are posted here and threads moved from the Dogg Pound are found here. Ignorance is not a crime in this forum.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Callavaro
Lightweight Member

Deadlifts.. Touch and Go, Or Reset?

Im wondering about the touch and go approach or resetting a deadlift rep after rep...

As far as training in DC goes anyway.

With touch and go it feels like im using my legs more (along with momentum),and if I reset after every rep I can pull less weight but I do feel my back working a lot harder.
And I feel much more back soreness aswell.

Or should I mix them up?

Usually id look these things up myself but im getting conflicting aswers..
and the larger the resulting wave." - Arthur Jones
Callavaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
ScottMcDonough
Intense Muscle Vet

You seem to have answered your question here... touch and go turns it into a leg movement for you, we use deads for back so reset each rep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Now, if you would kindly drop this little debate before I am forced by the voices in my head to drive to where you live, find you, rape you, eat your heart and then go workout with your blood on my hands.
ScottMcDonough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
bruno
Intense Set of the Month winner April, May, July, August and September 2008

I dont there is any "right way" to do deadlifts DC style. I have seen some big deadlifters like KidRok, Shelby, or Matt Kroc do paused reps and reset each time, and I have also seen big guys like Wojo, Derek Poundstone, or Jim Wendler do touch-and-go-reps. Most forums you go to, people would probably tell you to pause them and touch and go is cheating, but the fact that a lot of big guys do them that way tells you that they still work.

I personally reset each rep because, like you said, I feel them more that way, and I find it's easier to keep form, so it's safer for me. I worry about my back with them since I had a surgery, so I'm guarding against having my form breakdown. You will have to drop the weight though. In the end, I think you just have to figure out what works best for you.

Use BNB559 as a discount code at checkout from trueprotein.com for a hefty discount. You will not regret it.

Here is some of my lifting. Please subscribe to my channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
thundergod
Lightweight Member

When doing deads, I prefer to "reset" the bar/weight so there is no bouncing and no momentum to help get the weight out of the hole. I like to think its called a DEAD LIFT for a reason...but thats just me.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
TYSON1
Bantamweight Member

Another option on deads and power rack deads: stop the bar before it touches the ground or pins. This makes for a totally different feel. When I do deads with no touch or pause at the bottom, I really feel the weight in my lats and entire back. Obviously I can't use nearly as much weight.
Just another variation to think about.
TYSON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
DJ Sprawl
Middleweight Member

I agree with Scott that you answered your own question. Do them the way that hits your back the most.

I have seen them done both ways b y reputable guys like bruno mentioned. However it is called the deadlift, implying that you are lifting dead weight.
DJ Sprawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
UNTAMED

I prefer resetting. With touch and go, like you mentioned there is a lot more leg integration. The problem with that, which i recently encountered, is that when your legs overpower the lift you end up locking out the legs and SLDLing it up. Not a huge problem except for the fact that you're probably using more weight than you would want for sldl. The end result is a bigger risk for back injuries.

When you reset you are better able (in my experience) to focus on your upper and lower body moving in sync, which is key on the deadlift.
UNTAMED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
LandryP
Intense Muscle Competitor

Resetting is SAFER.

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom
LandryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
devo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandryP View Post
Resetting is SAFER.
and MUCH harder since the hardest part of the deadlift is ripping it off the floor
devo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
dropshot001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo09 View Post
and MUCH harder since the hardest part of the deadlift is ripping it off the floor
however, i feel that at least the breaking it off the floor part is more of an issue of ham/glute drive and less back, so if getting if off the floor is something that someone finds hard because of this issue, but their back is strong, then, if they cna do it safetly, then maybe the touch and go might be the way to go for them.
dropshot001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
mwo55
Light-heavyweight Member

I reset after each rep. However, touch and go works as long as it doesn't turn into bounce and go. I use to stop it before it hit the floor and it does add another feel but often my back would tend to round when that happened.

"Light is boring" -Dusty Hanshaw

"BEAT THE DAMN LOGBOOK"- Dante
mwo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
cacodaemon
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSON1 View Post
Another option on deads and power rack deads: stop the bar before it touches the ground or pins. This makes for a totally different feel. When I do deads with no touch or pause at the bottom, I really feel the weight in my lats and entire back. Obviously I can't use nearly as much weight.
Just another variation to think about.
That is what I do with Rack deads...I stop the bar before the pin and never touch it. Seems to work it more for me because the motion needs to be more controlled.
cacodaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Callavaro
Lightweight Member

Wow,I guess its unanimous,Ill keep resetting between reps.

Many thanx to everyone who responded thus far for advice and opinions.
and the larger the resulting wave." - Arthur Jones
Callavaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #14
stacked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandryP View Post
Resetting is SAFER.
Not trying to start an argument, but I recently picked up Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook and he mentons that touch and go is safer (in his opinion). Here's his take on the subject:

"There are two options when doing multiple reps with the deadlift. You can either touch-and-go the reps (slight bounce off the floor), or you can do dead stop deadlifts. For these you'll reset for each rep. I've done both, and both work. The downside to touch-and-go is that when you build up momentum, you can bounce too hard and lose your tightness. If you're strong enough to hold your position and you have the control to do it, this option will work for you. The dead stop option is good for most people, but make sure you reset perfectly each time. The beginning portion of the lift is where most back injuries will occur. In this regard, the touch-and-go style is a little safer."
stacked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 AM   #15
btech
Light-heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacked1 View Post
Not trying to start an argument, but I recently picked up Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook and he mentons that touch and go is safer (in his opinion). Here's his take on the subject:

"There are two options when doing multiple reps with the deadlift. You can either touch-and-go the reps (slight bounce off the floor), or you can do dead stop deadlifts. For these you'll reset for each rep. I've done both, and both work. The downside to touch-and-go is that when you build up momentum, you can bounce too hard and lose your tightness. If you're strong enough to hold your position and you have the control to do it, this option will work for you. The dead stop option is good for most people, but make sure you reset perfectly each time. The beginning portion of the lift is where most back injuries will occur. In this regard, the touch-and-go style is a little safer."
I agree. When that day comes when I am pulling 495x5, if I reset the bar between reps, I could easily see myself setting myself up for injury on the initial pull do to failure to keep the lower back arched.
btech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
LandryP
Intense Muscle Competitor

Just don't blame the lift when YOU fail to arch your back or set up properly and YOU injure yourself

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom
LandryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:20 AM   #17
SAHD
Light-heavyweight Member

Bump on this old thread -

I have got to a weight on Rack Deadlift that is starting to make me rather nervous about lifting touch and go.

I dropped 60lbs off that weight today and did my deadlifts with a dead stop. Felt safer because of the weight drop but what are peoples thoughts regarding paused vs T&G regarding size, TUT and safety.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
~William Bernbach
SAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
LG1
Super-heavyweight Member

For floor deads. I like singles for time. For racks paused. Same for smith machine snatch grip. The only deads for continuous motion would be dimels for me.

- Success is the best revenge
LG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
ChubChub
Bantamweight Member

I've recently purchased some dead lift blocks. So I can take the legs out of the movement. I was doing them off my rack support arms, but figured it was only gonna bust up my equipment due to the nature of the banging of the weights/barbell repetitiously.
With the DC 1st set of heavy, I manage a couple of touch and goes and then have to resort to a reset for the remainder of the set.
For the 2nd lighter set, It's pretty much a touch and go scenario. In fact, yep, it's a touch and go set all the way and maybe a reset towards the end due to either take a breath or re-grip the barbell to get a couple of reps out.
ChubChub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #20
ChubChub
Bantamweight Member

SAHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHD View Post
but what are peoples thoughts regarding paused vs T&G regarding size, TUT and safety.
We get both. There's supposed to be 2 straight sets, one heavy, the other lighter. So we get to surf a curve at both ends of the spectrum, one end for strength, and another set for tut/size. Obviously the lighter set is touch and go and would be more of a TUT. The reset set leaning more towards strength, but with a few more reps than pure strength for singles and doubles.

In regards to safety, in the real world, it's a crap shoot. You never see it coming, and it's probably because we're just tired and trying to get a session in, when tomorrow would've been just fine.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 AM   #21
SAHD
Light-heavyweight Member

Thanks for the replies. I have previously injured myself twice doing T&G so when the weight gets up there it starts to play with my mind.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
~William Bernbach
Old 02-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #22
ChubChub
Bantamweight Member

SAHD
Understood with the reoccurring injury. What sort of injury, back I assume? How did it do you? Where was the problem area?

I had similar a couple of years ago doing some heavy trap bar d/lifts. Old flare up of a groin strain. Ended up laying off for a few months.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #23
SAHD
Light-heavyweight Member

Both time was rep 8 on 550lbs, I was getting fatigued and looked down.

Simple as that, curved my neck and transferred the weight through it.

Bulged a disk and had 8 weeks off then a slow recovery. The disk I bulged pressed on the nerve that helps regulate your diaphragm so in other words I couldn't breath without pain for the first few weeks and the other associated pain saw me basically bed ridden - don't want to go there again -

I am in my 40's - I am too old for that shit.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

~William Bernbach
Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #24
ChubChub
Bantamweight Member

SAHD
Understood completely. I was supposed to go to work Saturday, but woke up and felt good for a change (had just took 4 days off like a mini cruise). It just happened to be bicep and back day next on the rotation. So feeling upbeat, I decided to deadlift instead of pushing a cab.
I decided to test out some new straps, like versa straps. Upped the weight more than I was going to, due to using straps. Haven't' been using straps, been bringing my grip along, but decided to go strap free for warm ups now and strap up for work sets.
Back went a little on the heavy set, more or less how you explained, but not severe like you stated. Still done the lighter set, but couldn't manage a touch and go, and much less reps.

Heavy is relative for the lifter. But a conclusion can be drawn.
Touch and go can be implemented if the weight is light enough.
Heavy multiples/reps is always going to be a crap shoot.
Some days we'll get away with it, and other days we don't.

Maybe, when we go heavy, we should try a slower approach and lift singles. It might be the ticket. T&G after if we think it's still required.
I'm 44, so I hear ya. And from the explanation it sounded frightening and painful the injury. Every time you breath it hurts. I think it hurt me to just read it, as I sit here typing with a sprained tight lower back from Saturday.

Last edited by ChubChub; 02-13-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #25
MeredithPalmer

i also 'reset' i find it easier to keep form that way and make it less of yank and more of a lift
MeredithPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote