Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Contest Prep Forum

Contest Prep Forum Share, research and learn the best ways to get ripped, peeled and shredded. Remember, "Skin is over-rated". Keep your contest prep journal here, as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #26
Hop
The Artist Former Known as Kidrok / Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Makes sense...any other upcoming contests this year?
How did you figure out what works and what doesnt for your body?
At 41 I feel like my body doesnt respond quite as quickly to diet and training. Any advice?
No more this year, maybe next. Just stepping back to regroup.
A lot of trial and error...and guess what? Once you figure out what works your body changes and you have to figure it out all over again! lol
I'm quickly approaching 52, recovery is much slower but I've learned to work with that. The key is consistency of training and consistency of REST. Diet is much more important in our later years as well. One of the big changes I've made is in trying to balance health with competing. Sure I could be bigger but I don't feel the health risks are worth it any more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be sure to "LIKE" my FaceBook training Page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #27
Rocky
Intense Muscle Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop View Post
No more this year, maybe next. Just stepping back to regroup.
A lot of trial and error...and guess what? Once you figure out what works your body changes and you have to figure it out all over again! lol
I'm quickly approaching 52, recovery is much slower but I've learned to work with that. The key is consistency of training and consistency of REST. Diet is much more important in our later years as well. One of the big changes I've made is in trying to balance health with competing. Sure I could be bigger but I don't feel the health risks are worth it any more.
i know we are all our own individuals, but can you please elaborate on what nutritional strategies seem to work best at this age. for me it seems that i can go without carbs longer without that affecting my energy level. More healthy fats and enough protein for my LBM

Removed..No free advertising!
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #28
Hop
The Artist Former Known as Kidrok / Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
i know we are all our own individuals, but can you please elaborate on what nutritional strategies seem to work best at this age. for me it seems that i can go without carbs longer without that affecting my energy level. More healthy fats and enough protein for my LBM
You hit the nail on the head! I only eat/need a fraction of the carbs I used to and actually feel better with more healthy fats. Love my peanut butter!!!!
For competition diet (off-season can vary from day to day) I used to diet on 300g or more of carbs a day. Now I keep it around 125g just as an example.
Few or no carbs after lunch. Still keep protein high like close to 300g a day.

Be sure to "LIKE" my FaceBook training Page:
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #29
Rocky
Intense Muscle Competitor

I see a pattern there with a lot of guys over the age of 40 who feel like they no longer need as many carbs to sustain good energy levels.
I use mostly coconut oil, almond butter, and peanut butter, plus fish oil in gelcaps 3Xday...Other than that, I really feel like i can go superlow on carbs and be fine. And on rest days I actually have zero carbs sometimes.

Removed..No free advertising!
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote