Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • socialdfan
    • Sep 2004

Dyazide for powerlifting weight cut

I posted elsewhere but thought I'd ask here too. By chance can someone post a protocol for a 24 hour weigh in? I have three tabs just in case. Most have stated a half tab the night before and morning of however I have capsules.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Collabera
    Heavyweight Member
    • Mar 2014

I was always very successful with simply cutting water in a sauna the day of weigh ins and being able to put it back on in the 24 hours before competing. I never used any supplements for this. I never had a problem dropping 15+ pounds of water. After the weigh ins I would eat sugary carbs slowly throughout the day without force feeding and then drink about 2 gallons of water. Never lost any strength.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

• RobbHensel
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

I stay away from diuretics and just water load while no carbs, maybe some epsom salt baths to cut a few pounds.

Comment

• Uncxrt
        Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 308lb Raw Club Total 1923
        • Aug 2012

Last meet I took one at about 6pm Thursday (Friday morning weigh in) and then another one at about 11pm.

How much weight do you plan to cut?
        IG - smadayjr
        YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

• Imprezivr6
          Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1642
          • Apr 2005

I did similar to what Uncxrt did. We did the same meet and cut weight together. I cut from roughly 215 to 195, him 265 to 242.

I have cut quite a few times now, and this is the first meet I have used a diuretic. I feel dyazide was the right choice. I do feel it helped water come off a easier and I will use it again in the future. No real ramping, until I started introducing water/carbs BACK, which is par for the course for me.

We also run 2L of Lactated ringers nearly immediately post weigh in. I think next time I will run 2L after weigh in and 1l that night before bed or first thing in the morning before the meet.

Originally posted by Collabera
          I was always very successful with simply cutting water in a sauna the day of weigh ins and being able to put it back on in the 24 hours before competing. I never used any supplements for this. I never had a problem dropping 15+ pounds of water. After the weigh ins I would eat sugary carbs slowly throughout the day without force feeding and then drink about 2 gallons of water. Never lost any strength.
          2 gallons of water is not nearly enough to put back on 15+lb. FWIW.

Comment

• RobbHensel
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Imprezivr6
            I did similar to what Uncxrt did. We did the same meet and cut weight together. I cut from roughly 215 to 195, him 265 to 242.

I have cut quite a few times now, and this is the first meet I have used a diuretic. I feel dyazide was the right choice. I do feel it helped water come off a easier and I will use it again in the future. No real ramping, until I started introducing water/carbs BACK, which is par for the course for me.

We also run 2L of Lactated ringers nearly immediately post weigh in. I think next time I will run 2L after weigh in and 1l that night before bed or first thing in the morning before the meet.

2 gallons of water is not nearly enough to put back on 15+lb. FWIW.
            Yeah most can't get lactated ringers or someone to hook an IV up unless your wife is a nurse

Cramping is an issue with me sometimes

Comment

• socialdfan
              • Sep 2004

Thanks everyone. My last cut was from 193 to 179 (181 class) Thursday morning 24 hours prior to Friday weigh in so it was quite easy with a standard water load. I weighed in at 179.2 9am Friday morning and the rehydration/refeed went very well as I was 193 at 9m that night and 195 8am Saturday morning.

This time I will drop from 199 to 181 so I just have in case I need to pull a bit more out. I was figuring one at 6pm Thursday evening and 6am Friday morning should I need it.

Comment

• Imprezivr6
                Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1642
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by RobbHensel
                Yeah most can't get lactated ringers or someone to hook an IV up unless your wife is a nurse

Cramping is an issue with me sometimes
                Cramping for me starts the second I drink some HBCD/eat some carbs. Like literally within seconds, it is awful. It is the worst part of the cut for me. I almost jumped out of a slow moving car because all my abs locked up.lol
                Originally posted by socialdfan
                Thanks everyone. My last cut was from 193 to 179 (181 class) Thursday morning 24 hours prior to Friday weigh in so it was quite easy with a standard water load. I weighed in at 179.2 9am Friday morning and the rehydration/refeed went very well as I was 193 at 9m that night and 195 8am Saturday morning.

This time I will drop from 199 to 181 so I just have in case I need to pull a bit more out. I was figuring one at 6pm Thursday evening and 6am Friday morning should I need it.
                I really liked taking one right before bed. Feel like I dropped a decent amount over night that way, where as normally I don't drop that much that last night.
                Last edited by Imprezivr6; 09-17-2015, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• socialdfan
                  • Sep 2004

I supplemented through the week with potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Friday after weigh in I started my rehydration. Pedialyte, cocomut water, glycerine, seal salt, INTRA MD. I got that in over 30 minutes and did light bodyweight movements. I did cramp a bit but felt amazing once it hit my system. I drank two gallons of that mix over the day.

Comment

• Uncxrt
                    Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 308lb Raw Club Total 1923
                    • Aug 2012

Ya once reintroducing stuff back into my system was awful lol. I was laying on the floor w/the iv bag in all cramped up in misery.

Having the lactated ringers is a life saver. After weigh ins, got 2 iv bags, 1 meal and some water and carbs and was back up to 264 only a few hours later.
                    IG - smadayjr
                    YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
                      Intense Muscle Vet/ISOM winner November 2011
                      • May 2004

Water loading can drop up to 10 lbs of water while feeling pretty damn good. Worst case is a little sauna time night or morning of or steam room. Personally although it is popular I'm not a fan of the extreme drops and then loading. Really hard on the body.
                      International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

• Superman66
                        • Apr 2009

Try Xpel from MHP next time. Stay away from the diuretics. Things can go wrong and screw up your performance during the meet.
                        Xpel is natural and it works, probably not as good a diuretics but there is no risk. Its really the only supplement aside from BCAAs, Protein and HBCD, that I used a few days before a bodybuilding contest.
                        "The Dude Abides" Please Use Discount Code: JNC825

Comment

Working...