Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound > Pound Puppy Forum

Pound Puppy Forum Newbie questions and answers related to DOGGCRAPP concepts and DC training are posted here and threads moved from the Dogg Pound are found here. Ignorance is not a crime in this forum.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
DaveEboy

Coffee Beer and Bodybuilding...

When I used to really 'bulk up' in my early 20's, I would drink 1 can of budweiser with my 1 pound of ground beef for lunch. I had read of others doing this as it was supposed to accomplish 2 things. 1 - stimulate appetite, help digestion, 2 - make a large meal just a little easier to get down

Now at 40 years old, with a much more refined palate for quality beer, like a well done brown ale, a solid IPA ... I often continue to have a beer with dinner. It seems to calm my digestion and when I dont really feel like throwing down yet another 70 gram protein meal at 8pm ... seems like a good beer makes it go down easy.

Was just wandering if any of you other DC'ers like to have an occassional brewsky.

Please dont tell me about alcohol being empty calories either. Not even close to being true, not to mention I am quite sure that like carbohydrates, alcohol is protein sparing. Not to mention the whole slew of micro nutrients, minerals, phytonutrients, etc, that is in beer. In particular a wheat beer ... reallly loaded in the phytos.

Once again just to be clear ... I am not talking about pounding down 3 old milwaukee ICE beers a day guys.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Light-heavyweight Member

No offense, but I doubt this is an optimal strategy. Although if you have great genetics and your name rhymes with Smorshenwegger, I guess you could have a beer and a whole chicken post workout. (Yes its a rumor, no I can't find the link right now )
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
SDMF
Middleweight Member

I'm also curious to see what other IM members drink. I only drink on special occasions, and lately I prefer diet coke and bourbon to beer. I have to drink several beers to begin to feel anything, and I don't like to consume a lot of liquid calories.
SDMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
SkinnyMike42
Intense Muscle Competitor

Smells like burning wood in here......
SkinnyMike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
ch3v3ll3
Light-heavyweight Member

Some jimmies shall be rustled in this thread.
ch3v3ll3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
steel1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEboy View Post
When I used to really 'bulk up' in my early 20's, I would drink 1 can of budweiser with my 1 pound of ground beef for lunch. I had read of others doing this as it was supposed to accomplish 2 things. 1 - stimulate appetite, help digestion, 2 - make a large meal just a little easier to get down

Now at 40 years old, with a much more refined palate for quality beer, like a well done brown ale, a solid IPA ... I often continue to have a beer with dinner. It seems to calm my digestion and when I dont really feel like throwing down yet another 70 gram protein meal at 8pm ... seems like a good beer makes it go down easy.

Was just wandering if any of you other DC'ers like to have an occassional brewsky.

Please dont tell me about alcohol being empty calories either. Not even close to being true, not to mention I am quite sure that like carbohydrates, alcohol is protein sparing. Not to mention the whole slew of micro nutrients, minerals, phytonutrients, etc, that is in beer. In particular a wheat beer ... reallly loaded in the phytos.
Once again just to be clear ... I am not talking about pounding down 3 old milwaukee ICE beers a day guys.
I think there are FAR better sources for the above purposes than beer or alcohol....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"
steel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
dakoose
Light-heavyweight Member

I haven't read anything on this in a while, but a while back I read or was told that when the body ingests alcohol, nutrient metabolism gets shut down and the body shifts its focus towards filtering out the alcohol, as the body treats it as a foreign poison and treats clearing out the booze as Priority #1.

So I don't know how accurate this is, but what I extrapolated from that is that any nutrients taken in while drinking, whether it be food eaten with booze or carbs contained within the booze itself, the chances of it being stored as fat are much greater, being that metabolism and other bodily functions are slowed/halted. So on the rare occasion I do drink,

1) I do it far removed from a meal, so not much is being digested (easier to get drunk on an empty stomach is just an added benefit )

2) I drink something with very few carbs (Vermouth, Vodka, or Tequilla...rarely drink Beer)

3) And I don't eat while I drink. (see added benefits for # 1)

****I should add that I don't really enjoy beer, and on the rare occasion that I do drink, the goal is to get kinda drunk, so these rules are easy for me to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dakoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
DCBliever

Alcohol has the 2nd highest thermic effect of food next to protein but ever heRd of the beer shits? Wonder why? A couple beers every now and again isn't going to hurt, lets live a little. If you are prepping best to let the prep guy handle that, I know Alex A used to have his guys do 2 beers post workout supposedly. Moderation.
DCBliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
RageBlanket
Raw SHW 1526 Total

I love beer. Skip does not want me to drink beer. Skip is ripped, I am fat. Ergo, no more beer.

I probably wouldn't drink much if I were "bulking", but I might have the occasional Deviant Dale's or Arrogant Bastard.

What about booze on a Skipload? Hmmmm.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
LG1
Super-heavyweight Member

If you feel like a drink, then have at it. But drinking and bodybuilding don't mix well IMO. How about drinking and driving?!?!

- Success is the best revenge
LG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625

I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no positive benefit to bodybuilding gotten from drinking booze. However, there's far more to life than bodybuilding. Moderation in all things.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
RageBlanket
Raw SHW 1526 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no positive benefit to bodybuilding gotten from drinking booze. However, there's far more to life than bodybuilding. Moderation in all things.
You're right here, it'll be pure empty calories for you ripped folks.

You left powerlifters out, though.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
nexa

One beer in and the world starts to spin.

I had a mimosa on a skipload once and almost fell asleep shopping afterwards.
nexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
0001Delta

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no positive benefit to bodybuilding gotten from drinking booze.
booze aliviates chronic pain like nothing else

I don't drink. Maybe twice a year. I prefer the tasty stuff over beer, because beer tastes like piss and that's why it's served cold. Wine, a fine whisky, I'll drink those if I can't help it, it has to have a nice taste, because I see no point in drinking unless it tastes good.

The only time when I really feel the urge to drink is when inmsonia kicks in and I wish I could chug down a bottle of wine just to sleep like a baby.

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip
0001Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageBlanket View Post
You're right here, it'll be pure empty calories for you ripped folks.

You left powerlifters out, though.
He asked about beer and bodybuilding. Beer is practically required for powerlifting.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #16
RageBlanket
Raw SHW 1526 Total

Quote:
He asked about beer and bodybuilding. Beer is practically required for powerlifting.
PL should be using booze mixed with TeanSkip as PWO!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageBlanket View Post
PL should be using booze mixed with TeanSkip as PWO!
Pretty sure Anadrol, whiskey, and whey is the secret to squatting 1000.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
pearlharbor1207
Bantamweight Member

Maybe a bit off the bodybuilding subject, but a friend of mine got to work out once with "Kaz" and they drank beer throughout the workout... True story, and I'm told that is typically part of his workout regimen. New meaning to pre-intra-post...
pearlharbor1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
0001Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlharbor1207 View Post
Maybe a bit off the bodybuilding subject, but a friend of mine got to work out once with "Kaz" and they drank beer throughout the workout... True story, and I'm told that is typically part of his workout regimen. New meaning to pre-intra-post...
I heard that one too. Supposedly all oldschool strongmen drank a shitload. Reason was most of them was injuried beyond repair and the booze allowed them to train/compete pain free for a while.

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip
0001Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
breck
Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter and Competitive Bodybuilder 1000lb Raw Club

I'm going to start doing my cardio drunk.....or maybe drunk crossfit.
2008 HOA Natural Classic
NPC Mid-Illinois
NPC Midwest Open
NPC Natural Grand Prix
2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
USPA Illinois State
NGA Heart of America
NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM
order - Use Code RHB606
breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
JohnnyBravo
Light-heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breck View Post
I'm going to start doing my cardio drunk.....or maybe drunk crossfit.
BUTbutbubutbutbut it's not PAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO

(I have no idea if it is but I doubt it is)
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
nexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbb View Post
BUTbutbubutbutbut it's not PAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO

(I have no idea if it is but I doubt it is)

My paleo friends drink on their cheat days.

I know because they announce it on facespace and IRL.
nexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
Sflex

a glass of wine during my 1 weekly cheat meal ...thats it results are more improtant to me then booze or going out wasting time at a club, bar, or lounge

out all night- catabolic
drinking- catabolic
spending money that can be better spent on food or "supps"
Sflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
thsfootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sflex View Post
a glass of wine during my 1 weekly cheat meal ...thats it results are more improtant to me then booze or going out wasting time at a club, bar, or lounge

out all night- catabolic
drinking- catabolic
spending money that can be better spent on food or "supps"
Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic
thsfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #25
garciaJJ

Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF-binding protein-1 concentrations in serum of normal subjects after alcohol ingestion: evidence for decreased IGF-1 bioavailability.
Röjdmark S, Rydvald Y, Aquilonius A, Brismar K.
Source
Department of Medicine, Endocrinology Section, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm Söder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Both insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein (IGFBP)-1 are synthesized by the liver. It is well known that chronic alcohol abuse impairs liver function, but less is known about how an acute intake of moderate quantities of alcohol affects hepatic production of IGF-1 and IGFBP-1. The objective of the present investigation was to study this issue by measuring serum levels of IGF-1 and IGFBP-1 in normal subjects before, during and after ingestion of a moderate dose of ethanol.
SUBJECTS AND DESIGN:
Eight healthy subjects were tested on two occasions. On one occasion (experiment A), three 150-ml doses of ordinary drinking-water were given at 08.00, 09.30, and 11.00 h. On another occasion (experiment B), three 150-ml drinks of diluted ethanol were given instead of water. Each drink contained 0.45 g ethanol/kg b.w. Experiments A and B were performed in random order, 1 week apart. Blood samples were collected before, during and after the drinks over a period of 7 h (08.00-15.00 h). One blood sample was also drawn at 08.00 h the following day.
MEASUREMENTS:
Blood glucose and serum concentrations of ethanol, insulin, growth hormone (GH), IGF-1 and IGFBP-1 were determined.
RESULTS:
When alcohol had been ingested, the serum ethanol concentration rose to a peak value of 28.6 +/- 0.9 mmol/l (mean +/- SEM). The serum IGF-1 level declined significantly toward the end of the 7-h period. The serum IGFBP-1 level increased promptly in response to ethanol, and reached a maximum 2.7 times above basal as the ethanol level peaked. Neither IGF-1, nor IGFBP-1 levels changed significantly after water intake. The IGF-1 : IGFBP-1 ratio declined markedly after ethanol (from 15.7 +/- 3.9 to 3.9 +/- 0.6; P < 0.01), but not after water intake. The blood glucose and serum levels of insulin and GH were unaffected by both ethanol and water.
CONCLUSIONS:
Ingestion of moderate amounts of alcohol by healthy individuals results in an acute and profound increase in the serum IGFBP-1 level and a protracted and less powerful decline in the IGF-1 level. The mechanism behind the IGFBP-1 increase is probably a direct effect on the liver, since neither insulin, nor glucose or GH concentrations changed significantly in response to the ethanol challenge.
PMID: 10718829 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10718829

Last edited by garciaJJ; 08-17-2012 at 07:24 PM.
garciaJJ is offline   Reply With Quote