Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Preventative Measures-health news > DISEASES

DISEASES Asthma, AIDS, Arthritis, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Multiple Sclerosis, etc....got illness? Look Inside-

Old 10-08-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
SuperSport
Heavyweight Member

Add

Attention Deficit Disorder
by Lorraine Day, M.D.

A child is given the diagnosis of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), also called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) when he is considered overactive, cannot pay attention and cannot sit still, ALL VERY subjective symptoms.

ADD is diagnosed four times more frequently in boys because boys mature more slowly than girls and because boys are put in classes at school with girls of the same age, so the boys, being less mature, appear to be hyperactive. Irritability anger and mental confusion may also be present so these children are then labeled as having a "Learning Disability."

However, these symptoms are virtually identical to the symptoms of hypoglycemia, low blood sugar which is caused by the up and down swings of insulin resulting from eating too much refined sugar.

Attention Deficit Disorder and Ritalin have become almost synonymous. Up to 90% of children who are first diagnosed with ADD receive a prescription for Ritalin. At least a dozen other drugs are prescribed for these symptoms as well.

There has been a 500% increase in the use of Ritalin alone since 1991. Short- term use of these medications is associated with a 70 to 80% improvement in symptoms. So naturally, it appears that the drugs have solved the problem.

However, these studies don't show the entire picture. Very few long-term studies have been done evaluating the success of amphetamine-type medication such as Ritalin, for ADD symptoms, and the few studies that do exist do not present a very encouraging picture. For years, it was thought that children outgrew symptoms of ADD so they were treated with drugs, until they "outgrew" the condition.

However, This has been found NOT to be the case. Children do NOT outgrow ADD symptoms. In 1990, an eight-year prospective study of hyperactive children was instituted. More than 80% of the children studied had been treated with medications. Sixty- three percent of the group had received the benefit of psychological services and 35% had special educational accommodations.

At the end of the eight years, 80% continued to have the ADD symptoms, while 60% had advanced to Opposition Defiant Disorder (ODD) and Conduct Disorder (CD) diagnoses. (Barkley R., Fischer M, et al:The adolescent outcome of hyperactive children diagnosed by research criteria: J Am Acad Child Adoles Psychiatry 29 (4):546-556 July 1990.) These two diagnoses are considered to be much worse than the ADD diagnosis. A literature review dating back to 1971 showed little to be encouraged about.

Children with ADD were more likely to fail subjects in school and dropped out of school more frequently. Fewer attended college. And there were NO statistical differences between the long-term results of children treated with medications and those who did not use medications. These studies indicate that there is little evidence of long-term success with the use of medications for hyperactivity.

The adverse reactions (side effects) for Ritalin include nervousness, insomnia, joint pains, fever, anorexia, nausea, dizziness, palpitations, headache, dyskinesia, drowsiness, increased blood pressure and pulse, rapid heart rate, angina, cardiac arrhythmias, abdominal pain, actual psychosis. And there is a major warning in the Physician's Desk Reference regarding drug dependency.

The Physicians Desk Reference of Drug Side Effects notes that, regarding the pharmacology of Ritalin: "The mode of action in man is not completely understood." And this is what you're giving your child! The pharmaceutical manufacturers admit that they don't even know how it works. They're just experimenting -- on your child!

Ritalin has effects similar to other stimulants including amphetamine, methamphetamine and cocaine.

There are 6 million prescriptions for Ritalin filled annually. The U.S. pharmacists distribute five times more Ritalin than the rest of the world combined. No other nation prescribes stimulants for its children in such volume. In fact, the United Nations International Narcotics Control Board has on two recent occasions written to U.S. officials expressing concern about the sixfold increase in Ritalin usage since 1990.

Does Ritalin Cause Cancer? Scientific studies on carcinogenicity were finally released in June 1993 revealing that feeding mice Ritalin, induced liver tumors including very rare and highly malignant cancers. These results were found at dosage levels close to those routinely prescribed for children. Animal tests are very good predictors of human health effects. In fact, the International Agency for Research on Cancer suggests that if a chemical is proven to cause cancer in animals, it should be treated as if it were cancer-causing in humans as well.

But the response by the FDA and the pharmaceutical company that makes Ritalin was predictable. The drug company wrote to 100,000 physicians informing them of the study showing that the drug caused cancer but said "It's not enough of a signal that we think kids should be taken off the drug." They reassured the doctors that Ritalin is believed to be "safe and effective" by the FDA.

Does the public school system have the right to force parents to accept the drugging of their child? They do in America. But the drug's side effects, according to vocal opponents of Ritalin, include: zombie-like behavior, growth suppression, behavior or thought disorders (exactly what it is supposed to treat) seizures; headaches, blurred vision, scalp hair loss, barking like a dog and babbling profanities. It can also result in mood swings, depression, drug dependence and inclination for criminal activity.

Why would anyone give such a drug to any child?

The American Psychiatric Association describes a hyperactive child - the target child for this drug--as follows:

"One who exhibits behavior such as fidgeting, squirming, answering questions before being called on, difficulty playing quietly, engaging in physically dangerous activities such as running into the street without looking, or one who has difficulty following instructions." That sounds like a normal kid to me!

I hope it's clear that drugs do NOT cure anxiety, depression nor supposed hyperactivity. In fact the English word pharmacy comes from the Greek word pharmakeia. Pharmakeia means sorceries and witchcraft. That's what drugs are - sorceries and witchcraft because they only treat symptoms while the underlying disease or condition continues to get worse.

PREVENTION AND TREATMENT

The following steps are ways to help prevent ADD and ADHD and to reverse the factors that cause them:

1) Change the child's diet to all natural whole foods. This means fruit, grains and vegetables full of natural vitamins, minerals and enzymes.

2) Eliminate dairy products and other animal products because these contain hormones, pesticides, antibiotics and the diseasesof the animal itself.

3) Eliminate caffeine, sugar and other sweets, processed food, MSG, aspartame (Nutrasweet) and other sugar substitutes and any foods that contain preservatives, food dyes or other chemicals.

4) Eliminate eating at fast food restaurants as most of these apparently use MSG and preservatives, plus the food in many restaurants often contains less nutrition, but many harmful chemicals.

5) Encourage the child to eat a lot of raw fruit and vegetables because they are full of health-producing enzymes, vitamins and minerals.

6. Drink water, and fresh home-made vegetable and home-made fruit juice. Eliminate soda pop, caffeinated beverages or milk from cows or any other animal. Rice Drean (rice milk) from your health food store is a reasonable substitute.

7. No white bread. Only whole grain bread, either home baked or from a health food store.

8. No white rice. Only whole grain brown rice and other whole grains.

9. No peanut butter: It contains aflatoxin, a fungus that causes cancer. Instead use Almond butter (It spreads like peanut butter and tastes just as good) from your health food store or other store. Also you can make home-made cashew nut butter.

10. Get proper rest. Children need a lot of rest and should go to be early.

11. Get proper exercise daily, outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine.

12. Eliminate TV watching. It is reported that children watch an average of 43 hours of TV per week, that's longer than the average adult work week. While watching, they rapidly become almost hypnotized. It has been shown scientifically that within minutes of beginning to watch TV, the brain changes from the alert brain waves (beta waves) to the hypnotic waves (alpha waves) where the judgment center of the brain is bypassed. So the violence and decadence that the child sees, bypasses the judgment center in the brain and is implanted in the child's brain without any ability on the child's part to decide whether what they are seeing is right or wrong. The violence and decadence are accepted by the brain without any moral judgment being applied to it. It then becomes part of the child's permanent subconscious. What goes into a child's mind is just as important as what goes into his or her mouth!

13. Trust in God and teach your child to trust in God. Study the Bible and pray with your child every day. Read Bible stories to your child. Children (and adults) become like those they admire. If they learn about Jesus, they will admire Him and want to be like Him. This has the most calming influence of all.

For more information on the harmful effects to the brain and nervous system from the problems of modern life, watch my video "Turn on the Light."
www.drday.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SuperSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
american idol
Heavyweight Member

A couple of things...

I heard this, not sure if it's true or not, maybe you can enlighten me. Is adderall a form of ritilin? If so, I was severly misled.

Great advice on reversing the effects of ADD/ADHD. I've heard them all before, unfortunately when it was too late. My son eats absolutely nothing healthy & loves chicken nuggets way too much. The child would rather starve than eat a vegetable. So, I've been giving him a multi vitamin hoping he'd get some nutrition that way.

Trying to come up with kid friendly healthy food is not easy & I welcome any suggestions anyone would have on this.

MOD @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

american idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
SuperSport
Heavyweight Member

I am not sure about the adderall/ritilin......

I will check around this weekend and see what I find....

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Old 10-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
Sachet
Lightweight Member

Another article making the TV connection~

Toddler TV habits tied to attention deficit

Last Updated: May 2004

By Michael Conlon

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The more television children watch between the ages of 1 and 3, the greater their risk of having attention problems at age 7, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

They found that each hour of television that preschoolers watched per day increased the risk of attention problems such as attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder by almost 10 percent later on.

The study, published in the April issue of Pediatrics, the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, adds inattention to the list of harmful effects of excessive television viewing that also includes obesity and violent behavior.

Frederick Zimmerman of the University of Washington in Seattle, one of the authors, said it was impossible to say what a "safe" level of TV viewing would be for children between the ages of 1 and 3.

"Each hour has an additional risk," he said in an interview. "You might say there's no safe level since there's a small but increased risk" with each hour.

"Things are a trade-off. Some parents might want to take that risk. We didn't find a safe level in that sense."

The data from 2,500 children covered by the study found that they watched an average of 2.2 hours per day at age 1 and 3.6 hours per day at age 3. But some watched 12 hours or more.

The ages are significant because brain development continues through those years, the study said.

"This study suggests that there is a significant and important association between early exposure to television and subsequent attentional problems," said Dimitri Christakis, a physician at Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center in Seattle who headed the study.

"We know from national estimates that children watch an average of two to three hours of television a day in the 1- to 3-year-old age group, and that as many as 30 percent of all children have a television in their bedroom," he said.

"There is a tremendous and growing reliance on television for a variety of reasons. However parents should be advised to limit their young child's television viewing," Christakis said.

In the United States between 3 percent and 5 percent of children are diagnosed with attention deficit disorder, which is marked by reduced ability to concentrate, difficulty in organizing and impulsive behavior. The symptoms do not typically show up until children are older, around age 7.

STUDY LIMITED

The authors said the study had some limitations.

The television viewing data came from the parents and may not be completely accurate. Also, there is no way to know whether the children already had attention problems early on that attracted them to TV viewing, though symptoms don't appear that early, it said.

It was also possible the parents who allowed excessive TV viewing were themselves distracted and neglectful, creating a household that fostered attention problems in the children. Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder has a high heritability level, the study said.

And the study did not look at what kinds of programs the children watched.

"Despite these limitations our results have some important implications if replicated in future studies," it said. "First we (have) added inattention to the previously studied deleterious consequences of excessive television viewing ... (and) our findings suggested that preventive action can be taken."

If you're listed here ~~>

Sachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
Sachet
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by american idol
My son eats absolutely nothing healthy & loves chicken nuggets way too much. The child would rather starve than eat a vegetable. So, I've been giving him a multi vitamin hoping he'd get some nutrition that way.

Trying to come up with kid friendly healthy food is not easy & I welcome any suggestions anyone would have on this.
This is going to be a challenge.. isn't it?! *lmao!*
You obviously are ready to take in on though.. he's a kid.. if you don't formally annouce it, chances are he'll hardly notice the slow change.
I think the best approach would be to wean him slowly from junk {if it's not in the house, he can't eat it} while nonchallantly introducing healthier snacks.
The time to introduce these snacks is when he's hungry since everything tends to taste better when we're hungry.
For instance, put baby carrots, cucumber slices on the counter around a small bowl of ranch dip or sliced apples with natty peanut butter as a dip while you're cooking dinner & he looks for something to much on.
It'll catch on.

At dinner, put out a small bowl of salad {romaine lettuce mixed with baby spinache leaves} before anything else. Make it interesting with cherry tomatoes, sprinkle on some real bacon bits or sunflower seeds.
If he goes to the grocery store, let him choose a salad dressing.

Make him shakes in the blender. My favorite is:
3 heaping tbls of fat free vanilla yogurt
1 banana
handful of mixed frozen berries {strawberries, raspberries, blackrasp, blueberries}
Sprinkle of Whey protein

The multi vitamin is good thinkin too!

Old 10-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #6
Sachet
Lightweight Member

I just thought of something else because I have a nephew who wouldn't eat grapes unless you peeled them first *lol* which was rather distructive as far as the antioxidents were concerned.

Use the 'let's do an experiment' approach.
We washed the grapes together & I asked him if he every tried a frozen grape.
After he looked at me as though I was a total loon, we decided to do an experiment & froze a small tray of them {I'd had them before & they are *YuMmY*}
And we never had to peel another grape & he outgrew it, so we don't hafta freeze them anymore either

Old 10-15-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
american idol
Heavyweight Member

Thanks sachet. very good tips.

the salad thing ain't gonna fly, I know that. But, the grapes & the shakes just may work.

Thinking out loud now....I'm wondering if I can make some kind of a shake with veggies in it, maybe like a V-8 kinda thing?

MOD @

american idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:39 PM   #8
SuperSport
Heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by american idol
Thanks sachet. very good tips.

the salad thing ain't gonna fly, I know that. But, the grapes & the shakes just may work.

Thinking out loud now....I'm wondering if I can make some kind of a shake with veggies in it, maybe like a V-8 kinda thing?
You certainly can....you can juice with fruits too.

However, I would not recommend v-8 juice, it is loaded with sodium. There is a low salt variety, but I am sure it is not as good as using fresh veggies/fruits.

Try organic if you can....

Old 10-15-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
SuperSport
Heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachet
I just thought of something else because I have a nephew who wouldn't eat grapes unless you peeled them first *lol* which was rather distructive as far as the antioxidents were concerned.

Use the 'let's do an experiment' approach.
We washed the grapes together & I asked him if he every tried a frozen grape.
After he looked at me as though I was a total loon, we decided to do an experiment & froze a small tray of them {I'd had them before & they are *YuMmY*}
And we never had to peel another grape & he outgrew it, so we don't hafta freeze them anymore either

Yes, the frozen grapes are indeed yummy!!!

My desert on occasion :p

Old 10-18-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
Sachet
Lightweight Member

Do you have a juicer Idol?
Will your son eat soups, because you can make the broth from veggies liquified in your juicer.
If you can get him to eat a small bowl of soup before dinner, that would be an excellent start.. ya know?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #11
Sachet
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport
Yes, the frozen grapes are indeed yummy!!!

My desert on occasion :p

I have them in the freezer all the time mMmm!
Red are my favorite~
Plus, they're good ammo.. they fly across the room faster than unfrozen ones.
Ask Fancy.. I've beaned her a few times when it was necessary *LMAO!*
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #12
fotinorod

Post Goodluck

Hi

I am Lucy, I have found your website while searching for some info at Google. Your site has helped me in a big way.

G'night
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
falcon43
Lightweight Member

Although I am no expert, I am the oldest of 13 children and the father of 2, I have some opinions and advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport View Post
PREVENTION AND TREATMENT

The following steps are ways to help prevent ADD and ADHD and to reverse the factors that cause them:

1) Change the child's diet to all natural whole foods. This means fruit, grains and vegetables full of natural vitamins, minerals and enzymes.
I could not agree more. Make sure that everyone in the house is eating a well balanced meal. You are setting a good example while also eating well for yourself.

2) Eliminate dairy products and other animal products because these contain hormones, pesticides, antibiotics and the diseasesof the animal itself. I think this is someting that needs to be judged on a case by case basis. My family drank copious quanities of milk or water. They were your only options on a daily basis. Soda was only something that you had on a special occasion.
3) Eliminate caffeine, sugar and other sweets, processed food, MSG, aspartame (Nutrasweet) and other sugar substitutes and any foods that contain preservatives, food dyes or other chemicals. I couldn't agree more. Some examples: Breakfast was eggs, oatmeal, cream of wheat, cheerios, rice crispies, puffed rice and wheat. There was no sugared cereals in the house.

4) Eliminate eating at fast food restaurants as most of these apparently use MSG and preservatives, plus the food in many restaurants often contains less nutrition, but many harmful chemicals. This was only done rarely. We would do this as a treat maybe 2 times a year.

5) Encourage the child to eat a lot of raw fruit and vegetables because they are full of health-producing enzymes, vitamins and minerals. Yes, make sure these are part of the meals also, not just snacks.

6. Drink water, and fresh home-made vegetable and home-made fruit juice. Eliminate soda pop, caffeinated beverages or milk from cows or any other animal. Rice Drean (rice milk) from your health food store is a reasonable substitute. Water, water and more water. Soon the child will develop a taste for it and will desire it more than most other options. Milk is a personal option, we had success with it but I do understand it is not for everyone.

7. No white bread. Only whole grain bread, either home baked or from a health food store. For us it was a variety, white bread was not excluded but was not the only option.

8. No white rice. Only whole grain brown rice and other whole grains.

9. No peanut butter: It contains aflatoxin, a fungus that causes cancer. Instead use Almond butter (It spreads like peanut butter and tastes just as good) from your health food store or other store. Also you can make home-made cashew nut butter.

10. Get proper rest. Children need a lot of rest and should go to be early. This one is very important. You will also learn that each child has different requirements. Take the time to learn what is needed for the individual child.

11. Get proper exercise daily, outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine. This is one that is so overlooked today. We were told to "get out and blow the stink off yourself" right after coming home from school. The thought behind this was that you had been couped up in school all day and you needed to expend some energy outside while you still had the sun. During the summer we were outside playing by 8:30-9:00 in the morning. You would be playing ball or riding your bike or whatever. You came home for lunch and then you were back out. You came home for dinner and then you were out for a few more. I don't think that this can be overlooked. How many overweight children do you see out there. When I grew up (60's and 70's) there were very few.

12. Eliminate TV watching. It is reported that children watch an average of 43 hours of TV per week, that's longer than the average adult work week. While watching, they rapidly become almost hypnotized. It has been shown scientifically that within minutes of beginning to watch TV, the brain changes from the alert brain waves (beta waves) to the hypnotic waves (alpha waves) where the judgment center of the brain is bypassed. So the violence and decadence that the child sees, bypasses the judgment center in the brain and is implanted in the child's brain without any ability on the child's part to decide whether what they are seeing is right or wrong. The violence and decadence are accepted by the brain without any moral judgment being applied to it. It then becomes part of the child's permanent subconscious. What goes into a child's mind is just as important as what goes into his or her mouth! this is a big yes! Between TV and video games children spend way too much time sitting around with nothing on thier minds. Try and occupy thier minds with board games or books. Good reading skills are so important as your child will use this basic skill for the rest of thier lives.

13. Trust in God and teach your child to trust in God. Study the Bible and pray with your child every day. Read Bible stories to your child. Children (and adults) become like those they admire. If they learn about Jesus, they will admire Him and want to be like Him. This has the most calming influence of all.
Also children should be taught patience and how to be calm. Too many children are just given med's. If the child is not taught to be calm how do they know how to behave. Most of those that are diagnosed with ADD just have not been taught to be calm. This does a disservice to the children that actually have ADD. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #14
Sachet
Lightweight Member

Excellent additional advice Falcon.
Thanks for that!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #15
huskerfoos
Bantamweight Member

Hello guys. I can relate to some of what you all are saying. My youngest son has ADHD. I can't relate TV to him though, up until he was after 4, he couldn't sit long enough to watch more than 5-10 minutes top. I hate having my son on medications, BUT, we went about diagnosing a different way other than the norm. We let our Dr observe him, and he questioned us about it. BUt, my wife has done more research on the medications than anyone I now, hell, she knew more than the Dr did and he has had his kids on some for ew a few years now. Logan, our youngest takes Focalin (sp?), and I tell you, that has made a big difference in his classroom work, it works. Focalin, we, well, she, has found out has a lot less side effects than Rit, or Aderall. We tried the diet change, but with no effects at all. My kids do watch TV more now, but they are both pretty active, and will play oustide all day if we let them, which is good, but, it's so damn hot outside.

I have read sokme things from people saying they have given their kids caffeine and it working. Whether that is safer or not, I don't know. I guess that would depend on what the caffeine was in.

I have read numerous times that it is a genetic thing, but I don't know. I have wanted to try his medication once to see if it had any calming effect on me, but haven't. I am just not to the point to where I am not able to focus, though, I might could have used it in school.
huskerfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
yotixon

Post i yotixon

Hello

Not bad at all!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #17
muscledbeagle

Book

If you guys have not picked it up, "Driven to Distraction" is an excellent resource for ADD/ADHD.
Driven To Distraction : Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood by Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey

They are in the Boston area and have been working in this arena for a long time.

Marty
Old 01-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #18
huskerfoos
Bantamweight Member

Reading is not my thing, but I try to pick up on things that relate to my sons problem with ADHD. I know my wife would read it, but not me. I have learned over the last several months, that video games work well with him, or vice versa. Seems like the action in those are fast enough for him. He can pla the hell out of the playstation and Wii.

We have been having some troubles lately with his medications though, the Focalin he was on (18mg) gave him headaches and the more he took it, the sooner it wore off. Then we got him on 27mg and he was too out of it, we didn't like the effect that had on him. He is now on a 2.5 mg chewable, the works well immedialtely, but wears off by lunch, so it has started affecting his schooling.

It's not a very fun thing to watch a child who literally can not control himself.
huskerfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
deadlift1979

Last edited by deadlift1979; 01-28-2012 at 04:27 AM.
deadlift1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #20
Jsull36

i was diagnosed with adhd when i was a kid, now the symptoms are gone. curious isnt it?
Jsull36 is offline   Reply With Quote