Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Contest Prep Forum

Contest Prep Forum Share, research and learn the best ways to get ripped, peeled and shredded. Remember, "Skin is over-rated". Keep your contest prep journal here, as well.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Superman66

Prep for NPC New York Grand Prix

Guys, I do not post on here much, but I thought that I would share my transformation for the NPC New York Grand Prix. When I was a teen, I was turned onto bodybuilding through Dorian Yates book "Blood and Guts". Dorian always stated that he did not want or need coaches. I figured, why would I ever need a coach. I know my own body, but as time went on and years went by, I was not making progress except on my lifting poundages. I only did DC training "without the cardio" or carb cutoffs. I know, someone will now say well than you can't claim DC training then....so what. It is what it is. But one day when I was sitting at over 250 lbs at 5'8'', I decided to revaluate things at 36 years of age and finally become a bodybuilder. I decided to do the NPC New York Grand Prix.

I know that when I followed this board in the mid 2000s, Troponin (Justin Harris) was someone who posted and I followed his progress through his DVD "Project Superheavyweight" which is a great nutrition and workout DVD by the way. His DVD was actually my intro to DC training. His approach to carb cycling is something that I knew would work for me. I started working with him in the offseason by accident. He planned to compete in the Master Nationals, and I figured that his price would go up after he got his pro card so I tried to lock in a price for a 12 week prep (for a contest in October) early. Instead he sent me an offseason diet and I was intrigued. As soon as I received it, I knew that I had been doing everything wrong. Yeah, I was eating 6 meals a day on my own, but I will just say that I was not eating nearly enough, or really enough carbs. I started working with him in March or April and actually went up 10 lbs to 260 lbs. Look, although I was fat (and I know it, and knew it then), his approach to carb cycling had me really playing with big weights. I was putting on muscle knowing that in June I would start a 16 week prep.

Justin took me from 260 lbs down to 195 lbs in 16 weeks beginning at the end of June or beginning of July and going through Oct 24th, while I believe retaining as much muscle as possible. Also, I know this is not the right forum, and if anyone has questions about supplementation I can post that somewhere else, but I used Cycle for Pennies (very conservative) supplementation amounts. I actually cruised for 2-3 weeks in the middle. The base of everything was the carb rotation. This was my first contest. No need to get crazy.

The day of the contest, I had prepped well, and practiced my posing with the guys at my gym (Universal Fitness in Allentown, PA), but I totally screwed up my tan, and also my shaving, and my suit was way too big. The judges explained this to me. I'm not delusional though, I was not going to be in the top 3-5 guys in the Open LHW no matter how good my tan was. At the end of the day, I needed to come in bigger with better condition. I need to be pushing that 198 lbs limit at weigh ins, but shredded. For my first contest, and for a 36 year old fat guy, now I know what is possible. I plan to do another contest next October, probably the NPC Big Cat Classic in Allentown. I won't miss the little details next time. Not really a fan of the competition itself, although everyone was really cool, but I love the fact that there is an end state to the hard work. I really like the intense focus and discipline needed as well. It reminds me (a middle aged guy) of high school or college sports. Before this, I was competing for who had the best yard in the neighborhood.

Anyway, I decided to share this because someone else might be inspired to do a contest. I would just suggest that you figure out what diet approach works for you on your own and then go with a coach who uses that approach. Again, I thought that I was eating right, and doing cardio right, but I will tell you that I was no where close. I was worried about the minusia and not focused on the things that really count.

Justin was the man. I would not have been able to do this on my own and I really appreciate this board and its members sharing their stories because it provided the impitus for me to try this. I figured that I would do this one time. Now I'm planning my next contest. I wish that I had turned to Justin, or his other coaches earlier.

I will post pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back Double Bi 16 Weeks Out.jpg (719.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Back 1 week out.jpg (556.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Front Double Bi-16 weeks out.jpg (743.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Front Double Bi 1 week out..jpg (714.3 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Superman66; 10-31-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Superman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
Ken "Skip" Hill
Judge, Jury and Executioner

It is good to see Justin back in the sport and congratulations on your successful prep.

I agree that a lot of times people think they have it all figured out but when they go to a good coach they find out otherwise.

It is good to see you around here. Hang out for a bit.

Skip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
Facebook: Skip Hill
Instagram: IntenseMuscle
YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here:
Ken "Skip" Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
Superman66

Thanks Skip. Intensemuscle and a seminar that you did up in Michigan when I lived there, really had an impact on me finding a coach. Best decision I made in a long time.

I may not post much, but I have always been reading and learning from you really knowledgable guys.

If anyone is on the fence like I was. Look at my before pics, and know that you can do the same, or most likely even better. Go get it.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:19 AM   #4
Ken "Skip" Hill
Judge, Jury and Executioner

Where was that seminar? Near Lansing, maybe? I can't remember all of the damn seminars, apparently. lol

Skip

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
Facebook: Skip Hill
Instagram: IntenseMuscle
YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries:

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here:
Ken "Skip" Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:19 AM   #5
Superman66

Yeah, you said that you were on vacation for the holiday or holidays (not sure which) visiting your family or wife's family near Lansing and the admission was for a military charity. You laid out your dieting strategy, which like Justin's (carb rotation) seemed pretty logical. The name of the seminar was something like "How to Get Ripped on Pancakes and Fruit Loops" or something to that effect. You had a good turnout. It was in a gym.

Anyway, for someone making a go of this on my own, the seminar not only laid your diet strategy, but it also taught me that there are pro diet guys out there that do this with so many clients that they know what works and what doesn't. The art is in the adjustment.

Just like most bodybuilders would never turn to Fruit Loops, etc on their own, your diet works. Justin had me eating what I considered, compared to what I ate before, a massive amount of food in my off season prep, there are things you would never do on your own that work. You need a coach to push you in the deep end sometimes. I thought, is this guy crazy, I am really going to be moving up in weight from 250 lbs?, but I followed it exactly and I am so much more knowledgable now thanks to listening to him.

But yeah, that is what I took in from the Lansing seminar.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Joe P.
Intense Muscle Competitor

Well done! Congratulations on your great transformation!

Contest History:
2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

Joe P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
Superman66

Thanks Joe. I appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
bobby light

Cool...I plan to do that show as well, look forward to meeting you and seeing the results.
bobby light is offline   Reply With Quote