Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Contest Prep Forum

Contest Prep Forum Share, research and learn the best ways to get ripped, peeled and shredded. Remember, "Skin is over-rated". Keep your contest prep journal here, as well.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
chris250
Intense Muscle Competitor

Chris250 contest prep journal 2013

After a two yearís being off stage, I had built myself up to over 275lbs. I had the plans this year (2013) to compete in a late fall show. I decided that the Battle of Champions would be that show. I started off with a Palumbo (keto) type of diet, at 15 weeks out. I tried to keep my fats higher than normal, to hold on to more size. I was holding on to size well, but the fat lose was slow. At this point I was doing cardio 20 mins 4 x a week. At 12 weeks out I increased my cardio to 25 mins 4 x a week. Slightly lowered fats, and kept more in check on my Saturday cheat meals. Still, losing fat was a slow process. At 10 weeks out, again I increased cardio to 30 mins 5 x a week. I felt very behind schedule. Something just wasnít kicking in right. I was getting leaner, but it was slower than normal. So at 8 weeks out I called up my friend who trained me in 2009 Jim Magnone and talked to him. He agreed, I was behind my normal schedule, and told me that overall my calories was to high. He said lower them to 2200 cals per day, to start. Protein was at 300 grams per day (split into 6 meals) rest of calories coming from fats. So it came out to around 300 grams protein, 110-120 grams of fats per day. Cardio was kept at 30 mins 5 x a week. Saturday was still a carb up day, but I kept it in check the first 2 weeks. This started at 8 weeks out (see pics below). The first week, (at 8 weeks) I starting weight was 248lbs, at the end of the week, I was 238lbs. A lot of water weight was dropped, but I could see I was getting leaner to. After a slight weekend carb up, my weight the following Monday was 242lbs. This week (7 weeks) I slightly lowered my calories to 2100. I just took this from my fat intake. My days at work are long, and getting threw some days was tough. But, even though with the very low calories, I was having some great workouts. Somehow each day, I can pull threw and get the mental energy to push threw a intense workout. By 6 weeks out, my weight was down to the lower 230 range. I finally started to look close to where I needed to be. I didnít quite feel so behind schedule now. The first 2 was hell, but now I felt pretty damn close to being on track. So at 5 weeks out, I again to slightly lower my calories again to 2000. Doesnít seem like much for a 230 bodybuilder, but for some reason, I felt like my muscle mass was holding on really well. I didnít feel like I have lost anything. Even being flat most of the time, I felt like compared to the past, my muscles have kept a rounder full look. Workouts ,this past week was tough to get threw. But I still had some really good ones. This takes us up to now 4 weeks out. As of today I sitting right at 230lbs(see pics below). I feel good, with my conditioning now. Its, been a long 4 weeks, and I have suffered more than I normally would. Not so much cause the diet is tough. But, because of how physical my job can be at times. So the combination of low cals, long days at work, and training intense for a show. Can really put a mental toll on you. But, what I have learned the most about this prep is that I need to mentally get my mind into the game faster. What I mean by that, is that the first 7 weeks (15 weeks to 8 weeks). I just donít feel like now, I had my mind made totally up to do this show. It wasnít until 8 weeks out, when I really decided that I wanted to do this show. I think just not being totally commenting myself to doing this show, was sitting myself up to failure. It wasnít until I had my back against the wall, did I really get the ball moving. Anyway, next week Iíll update you with pics, and let you know how my week of training went.

Here are some 9 week out pictures from the Battle of Champions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9wksfrontbi.jpg (26.8 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 9wkschest.jpg (26.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 9wksrearback.jpg (26.8 KB, 157 views)

1994 ST.LOUIS TEEN HEAVYWEIGHT AND OVERALL CHAMPIOIN...

1997 SOUTHERN USA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

2006 CONTINENTAL USA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

2006 MIDWEST IRONMAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

2007 MIDWEST OPEN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

2007 MR.IOWA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION & OVERALL

SPONSORED BODYBUILDER OF OPTIMUM NUTRITION AND AMERICAN BODYBUILDING PRODUCTS
chris250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
chris250

Here are the 8 week out pictures. It was at this point, that I really decided I was going to do the show. Up until this point, I hadn't really decided to do the show. I was kinda just going threw the motions of the diet. I was training hard, and doing cardio, ect. But the mindset for doing a show, wasn't where it needed to be. I put it into overdrive at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7032.JPG (175.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7028.JPG (157.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7037.JPG (148.3 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by chris250; 12-10-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
chris250

A month of torture

I’m going to get back to my final month of prep, before going back to my previous story, about my life. We last left it at 4 weeks out. I felt like at this point I had caught up for the most part. I still felt, I had a bit to go to be totally shredded, but it was possible now. From week 4 to 3, I felt my metabolism really moving along. I was still eating very low calories, and my carbs was close to zero. By Wednesday, I felt pretty flat, and somewhat depleted. I decided to add in a protein/fat day. I didn’t go to crazy with the fats, just enough to try to get some fullness back, and still continue to burn the fat. By the weekend, I was down to 224lbs from about 230lbs from the previous Monday. This weekend, I did a carb up, of about 500-600 grams, but kept it clean for the most part. My weight climbed up to about 228lbs on the next Monday. So now, its 3 weeks out, and getting tighter, leaner. I did the same diet as the previous week. High protein (300 grams per day), low carbs (less than 50 per day), low fat (less than 30 per day). My calories now was around 1700 to 1800 per day. For some reason, I seem to keep some level of fullness doing this diet. The pro/fat day on Wednesday, seem to help some, and carbing up, on Saturdays seem to keep my metabolism running strong. Now, at 2 weeks out, I felt good where I was. I did my normal Saturday carb up. I ate around 500-600 grams of carbs (mostly clean again). Sunday, I went back to a pro/fat day. Weight on Monday, was right at 226-228lbs. Slowly, I was getting leaner and tighter. Still felt like I had a way to go, for striated glutes. But, everything else, looked very good at this point. Fullness, surprisingly was still pretty good. This was the first week, where I seen a level of hardness I never had before. Timmy LeMatty, (my training partner) took of video of me during the weekend training chest, and I never seen my skin have that thin onion peel look. New veins, new striations all was covering my chest, delts and arms. It was the first time, I ever seen myself look this good. I started to really get excited a bout how I was going to look on show day. So now, I want to go into detail day by day the final 2 weeks.

Monday – wt. 224

Diet – High Pro/no carbs/no fats

Foods – egg whites, ground turkey breast, tilapia, dill pickles (sodium)

cardio – 45 mins, some on the stepmill (I hate the stepmill)

Tues – wt. 222

Diet – same as Monday

Foods – same as Monday

cardio – 60 mins (splite into 2 sessions) part on stepmill

Weds – wt. 210 (was up all night pissing the whole night away)

Diet – High Pro/low carbs/moderate fats

Foods – added in whole eggs, red meat, also added in one carb up meal 150-200 grams of jasmine rice

cardio – 45 mins, some of the stepmill (did I say I hate the stepmill)

Thurs – wt. 212 (the extra carbs and fats seem to stabilized me a little)

Diet – High Pro/no carbs/no fats

Diet – Same as Monday/Tuesday

Food – Same as Monday/Tuesday

cardio – 30 mins (I felt like crap this day, no energy)

Notes – This was a horrible day, no energy at all, super flat, but getting tighter. We kept on pushing through cause I was looking better.

Friday – wt. 212 (surprisingly I held my weight)

Diet – First 5 meals – High Pro/No carbs/No fat

Last 2 meals of the day – Started weekend carb up early. Took in around 150 grams of clean carbs the final 2 meals of the night.

I did potatoes and jasmine rice.

Foods – First 5 meals – High Pro/No carbs/No fats, last two meals carb up meals (rice/potatoes)

cardio – 30 mins (still low energy)

Notes – We started carb up early, to see how I would look Saturday morning. To give us an idea on how much food I would need to carb up on.

Saturday – wt. 216 (weighed in after 2 meals 10am)

Diet – First 4 meals – Moderate Pro/higher carbs/lower fat. Last 2 meals high pro/no carbs/no fats

Foods – For carb up meals, potatoes, rice. For last two meals, my normal proteins (ground turkey breast, egg whites)

Cardio – none

Notes – Looked very good this morning, somewhat flat, eve with carbs in me. But, conditioning was good. Striations starting to show in glutes. Confidence was now very high.

Sunday – wt. 222

Diet - high pro/no carbs/lower fats

Foods – had some whole eggs, and one red meat meal. But, most meals was just straight protein.

Cardio – 35 mins (felt ok, did some stepmill)

Notes – Looked full and hard, not as grainy as the day before. But fullness made my look pretty impressive. Held some water in lower back, and lower abs, glutes.

Water – first day of water increase. 1 /12 gallons

Sodium – Very high, salt everything, eat dill pickles

Monday – wt. 221lbs

Diet – high pro/no carbs/no fats

Foods – Ground turkey breast, egg whites, tuna, tilapia

Cardio – 45 mins (pushed hard this day) some stepmill

Notes – Looked better than Sunday, not as good as Saturday look.

Water – 1 1/2 gallons

Sodium - Very high, salt everything. Eat dill pickles for extra sodium

Tuesday – wt. 219lbs

Diet – same as Monday

Foods – same as Monday

Cardio – 35 mins (starting to feel low energy, pretty bad day at work) Very zombie like

Notes – Looked ok, kinda flat, nothing was popping on me. Kind of concerned, but Timmy assured me that I was on track, and just flat.

Water – Increased to 2 gallons

Sodium – same, very high

Wednesday – wt. 212lbs

Diet – high pro/no carbs/no fats. Last meal pro/carbs

Foods – same as Monday, first 5 meals. Last meal was a red meal and jasmine rice meal.

Cardio – 25 mins (starting to back off now, low intensity)

Notes – Again, the same water drop as previous weeks. So again, I felt like I needed to add calories (in fats/carbs) to keep a certain level of fullness. I felt if I got to flat, there would be no way to carb me up full enough to have enough glycogen to push threw prejudging. Me being flat on stage is not a good thing. I look to lanky and drawn. I don’t carry enough muscle to be flat on stage.

Water – 2 gallons

Sodium – same , very high

Thursday – wt. 214lbs

Diet – High pro/no carbs/no fats. Last two meals start carb up.

Foods – First 4 meals, high pro/no carbs/moderate fats. Last two meals, started to slowly add in carbs. Added in about 200 grams of carbs from Jasmine rice.

Cardio – slow 25 mins

Notes – That evening I started to add in some carbs to get some level of fullness going. I knew (knowing my body well enough) that if I held off any longer, that I would go past the point of no return, and nothing would be able to fill me out in time.

Water – 2 1/2 gallons-

Sodium- same very high

Friday – wt. 212lbs

Diet – Carb load with some added fats at each meal. (natty peanut butter, mac nut oil) lower protein 4oz. each meal

Foods – protein sources (ground turkey breast, lean ground beef), carbs (jasmine rice), fats (natty peanut buotter, mac nut

Cardio – None, just some light posing

Notes – Each meal that day was either 4oz. ground turkey breast, w/ jasmine rice and 1tbsp natty peanut butter or 1tbsp mac nut oil. Carb count started out light with each meal being 50-60 grams of carbs. After weigh in’s continued to carb up with heavier carb meals. Around 100 per meal. Weighed in at 218lbs at 6 pm. So we could’ve actually gone much heavier on the carb up that Friday.

Water – 3 gallons, until 12 am

Sodium – high until about 5-6 pm, then quit adding any salt or condiments to food.

Sat – wt. 218lbs (5 am) Showtime – Pre judging

Diet – Continued to carb load heavy. All the way to pre judging

Foods – same as Friday evening (turkey, jasmine rice, mac nut oil, Natty P.B.) Also started to do some rice cakes with natty peanut butter.

Notes – We had a hard time filling me up all the way. I felt like we could’ve brought me in fuller. I’m not sure if it would’ve hurt my conditioning, with extra fullness ? My guess, would be no, as I felt it would’ve made the muscles have more pop to them. The muscles probably could’ve pushed harder, had I been fuller. Still for pre judging, we both felt happy with my performance.

Sat – wt.219 (3pm) Evening show

Diet/Notes – After pre judging we went to Village Inn, and I had eggs, small steak, and potatoes. I only drank, maybe 4oz. of Diet Coke at lunch. Then turned it off again. Continued to carb up heavy, with rice, potatoes, rice cakes, mac nut oil and natty P.B. I felt for the night show, we had a even harder time keeping me full. I felt my morning look was just slightly better. But, overall it was my best performance, in 20 years of this sport.

Final Results – I won the master division, 35-39 (there was no overall, I was disappointed on that). In the open heavyweight, I got 2nd place to a very good national level heavyweight. He had more fullness, rounder muscle bellies, and was very complete. I was still happy, and I felt like I held my own with him. We will meet again, next year at Master Nationals 2014.

My thoughts – Need to start carb load earlier. Probably Weds evening or no later than Thurs morning. Probably, could’ve left water in longer. To the morning, instead of midnight shut down. Need to stay leaner in the offseason, to help keep skin tight. Keep diet very clean this offseason, and only

put on solid lean weight. (at least try to stay with in 20lbs of contest weight).

Next show – Master Nationals 2014 over 40 heavyweights

Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
chris250

6 week out pictures. Starting to catch up now. Felt a lot better at this point. But, still had a lot of work to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7060.JPG (163.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7067.JPG (163.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7062.JPG (149.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by chris250; 12-10-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
chris250

4 week out pictures. Now starting to see changes everyday. Weight during week was in the lower to mid 220 range. After carb up I was 230lbs. The diet was killing me, but I continued to get leaner and harder everyday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7118.JPG (162.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7122.JPG (171.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7127.JPG (151.8 KB, 68 views)

Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
chris250

2 week out pictures. Weight was starting to hit the lower 220lbs range. After Saturday carb load I was up to 228lbs. Starting to see some good stations, and skin was getting thinner and thinner. Vascularity was very prominent all over, after carb load. I was getting very excited to see how I was going to end up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7184.JPG (152.4 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7186.JPG (163.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7188.JPG (162.8 KB, 144 views)

Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Rachell377

Hmm its a very nice sharing and workable discussion i will try to follow thanks for sharing....
Rachell377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
trucelt
IM Moderator and Intense Muscle Competitor

Hey Chris good to see your still battling it out up on stage. ....
'15-USPA Metro
'15-USPA State
'15-AAU HI
'14-AAU HI
'14-USPA Metro
'14-WABDL Sonny's
'14-USPA State
'14-HI Strongman
'13-USPA
'13-WABDL Sonny's
'13-USPA State
'13-AAU HI
'11-USPA Metro
'10-NPC Stingrey
'09-NPC Islands
'09-NPC Stingrey
'09-ABA Islands
'02-ABA Islands
'02-ABA IronWorks
'01-NPC Paradise Cup
'01-ABA Olympia
'01-ABA Islands
'00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
'00-INBF Musclefest
'98-NGA Ill
'98-INBF Ohio
trucelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
jplahm
Light-heavyweight Member

Good stuff Chris...glad to see you here!been a while....
jplahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
breck
Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter and Competitive Bodybuilder 1000lb Raw Club

Back is looking sick.

I did the show in Davenport you did in 2011.
2008 HOA Natural Classic
NPC Mid-Illinois
NPC Midwest Open
NPC Natural Grand Prix
2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
USPA Illinois State
NGA Heart of America
NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
order - Use Code RHB606
breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
chris250

Here is a some pictures from a couple days out. Weight was around 218lbs now. Very depleted. I was feeling pretty drained at this point. Energy the last week, was none. I was like a zombie. But, I survived and got into my best conditioning to date.

Next year, the goal is to be this lean, but carry more fullness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66777_10201731644926915_180515910_n.jpg (61.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 1094_10201731654767161_848906484_n.jpg (56.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 1375811_10201731636926715_1095755714_n.jpg (75.7 KB, 126 views)

Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
chris250

Here is Friday morning before the show. I was about 216lbs here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontbi1day.jpg (61.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg backbi1day.jpg (69.9 KB, 156 views)

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
Rachell377

Hmmmmm Perfect plan to build muscles.
Rachell377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
merkin

This was one of the best and most detailed breakdowns I've seen for a contest prep (great motivator for 40+ guys). Cool of you to put it out here.

Are you following a DC training schedule?
merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #15
varn01

Some great in depth detail there; that will help a lot of people to have an insight to what's involved the last few days,.
varn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #16
Dranziel

I know this is an old tread but I have some questions for you
Do you always eat low carb even in the offseason?
If not, do you just stop eat carbs the 1st day of your diet or do you reduce carbs slowly?
How did you carb up the last day(s) before the competition day?
Thanks in advance!
Dranziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #17
trucelt
IM Moderator and Intense Muscle Competitor

Chris passed away earler this year.
'15-USPA Metro
'15-USPA State
'15-AAU HI
'14-AAU HI
'14-USPA Metro
'14-WABDL Sonny's