Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ick578
    • May 2010

Smith Machine Exercises

I always have trouble deciding which smith machine to use for different exercises (the angled one or the one perpendicular to the ground). Does it make much of a difference which one you use as long as your consistent? If not, which machine is best for which exercises? I'm mainly looking for answers for squats, cg bench, rg bench, and behind head shoulder presses, but I would like to hear opinions about other exercises also. Thanks
  • dunhill225
    Light-heavyweight Member
    • Nov 2006

Squats and pbns use the vertical one. Most exs just use the one that's most comfortable but on exs that compress the spine use the vertical.
    WWW.YouTube.com/thedunhill225

"It is not justice or equal treatment that you grant to men when you abstain equally from praising men's virtues and from condemning men's vices. When your impartial attitude declares, in effect, that neither the good nor the evil may expect anything from you - whom do you betray and whom do you encourage?"
    Ayn Rand

"We smile in the face of some people although our hearts curse them"
    Abu Darda

Comment

• ick578
      • May 2010

Wow that post is a lifesaver dunhill. I've been doing squats with the angled one, and I have been slowly increasing from a lighter weight since I am recovering from a January disc herniation (today is a smith squat day so I'll make sure to use the vertical one). Definitely want to avoid compressing my spine as much as possible. Also, I've been staring at "pbns" for 5 minutes trying to figure out what it stands for but I give up now.

Comment

• ScottMcDonough
        Intense Muscle Vet
        • Nov 2006

I'm guessing he means presses behind the neck.

The angled smith to me is a slightly better feel on the triceps work since you can actively "press towards your feet" and engage the triceps more.
        Use SAM210 for 5% off your entire order at www.trueprotein.com 10% if you order 16 lbs or more! :bb:

Now, if you would kindly drop this little debate before I am forced by the voices in my head to drive to where you live, find you, rape you, eat your heart and then go workout with your blood on my hands.

Comment

• PhoebeusFenix
          Intense Muscle Competitor
          • Nov 2006

Maybe he meant bnsp? behind neck shoulder press?
          2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

• dunhill225
            Light-heavyweight Member
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ick578
            Wow that post is a lifesaver dunhill. I've been doing squats with the angled one, and I have been slowly increasing from a lighter weight since I am recovering from a January disc herniation (today is a smith squat day so I'll make sure to use the vertical one). Definitely want to avoid compressing my spine as much as possible. Also, I've been staring at "pbns" for 5 minutes trying to figure out what it stands for but I give up now.
            Lol the others were right, PRESS BEHIND the NECK.

Oh and to be clear squats and such will still compress your spine but in the vertical smith (with proper form) the presure is straight down, the easiest way for your discs and muscles to do their intended job.
            Peace.

"It is not justice or equal treatment that you grant to men when you abstain equally from praising men's virtues and from condemning men's vices. When your impartial attitude declares, in effect, that neither the good nor the evil may expect anything from you - whom do you betray and whom do you encourage?"
            Ayn Rand

Abu Darda

Comment

• qbkilla
              Bantamweight Member
              • Aug 2009

im going to sound like an idiot, but can someone post a pic of an angled smith machine? i have been in many gyms and can not picture what this would look like. i thought all smith machines went vertical. guess you learn something new every day.

Comment

• qbkilla
                Bantamweight Member
                • Aug 2009

just found a pic online, i guess these machines are not common in maryland I have never seen an angled smith before lol.

Comment

• dunhill225
                  Light-heavyweight Member
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by qbkilla
                  just found a pic online, i guess these machines are not common in maryland I have never seen an angled smith before lol.
                  Shit its hard for me to find a gym that HAS vertical smiths. Often you only find them in the real old school gyms.

Ayn Rand

Abu Darda

Comment

Working...