• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Getnbigger
    Intense Muscle Competitor
    • Dec 2010

DC Training and legs growing too big

Fellow lifters,

I'm new to this forum and can not explain how impressed I am with all of the great information. I have been doing DC's 2-day split for about 6 months or so and am loving the intensity and growth. I am 26 years old 6'2 and up to 233 lbs; training seriously for about 5 years.

I am running into a bit of an issue that leads me to a DC question I can't seem to find an answer for. I have searched and I apoligize if this question has been answered 1000 times.

My legs tend to grow considerably faster than my upper body. Due to this issue in my old high volume training style I only trained legs once ever 2-3 weeks with hopes of catching my upper body up.

During the past 6 months I have been doing the DC 2 day split and my weight has increased about 25 lbs and unfortunately a larger portion the weight is in my legs, quads specifically. The workout I am currently following is
    Day 1
    Chest
    Back thickness
    Shoulders
    Back Width
    Triceps

Day 2
    Biceps/Forearms
    Hamstrings
    Calfs
    Quads
    Inner leg

My fear is that my upper body will never catch up to my lower body continuing DC's 2 day split. Does anyone else ever have this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • steel1970
    • Jan 2008

Post some pics so we can take a look at your "problem"...lol
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

• Getnbigger
      • Dec 2010

Big legs are entirely relative I understand that. I realize my legs are not near as large as the majority of the members on the board. I just measured and my left leg measures 28.5", and my left arm at the bicep measures just over 16.5".

I just took a pic of my legs however it will not allow me load on the site. It says invalid file, am I doing something wrong? Is it better if I run it through a picture site with a link?

Comment

• homonunculus
        Super Moderator/Round Table Expert
        Admin
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Getnbigger
        Fellow lifters,

I'm new to this forum and can not explain how impressed I am with all of the great information. I have been doing DC's 2-day split for about 6 months or so and am loving the intensity and growth. I am 26 years old 6'2 and up to 233 lbs; training seriously for about 5 years.

I am running into a bit of an issue that leads me to a DC question I can't seem to find an answer for. I have searched and I apoligize if this question has been answered 1000 times.

My legs tend to grow considerably faster than my upper body. Due to this issue in my old high volume training style I only trained legs once ever 2-3 weeks with hopes of catching my upper body up.

During the past 6 months I have been doing the DC 2 day split and my weight has increased about 25 lbs and unfortunately a larger portion the weight is in my legs, quads specifically. The workout I am currently following is
        Day 1
        Chest
        Back thickness
        Shoulders
        Back Width
        Triceps

Day 2
        Biceps/Forearms
        Hamstrings
        Calfs
        Quads
        Inner leg

My fear is that my upper body will never catch up to my lower body continuing DC's 2 day split. Does anyone else ever have this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        Ditto on the pics and why are you ordering the exercises in this way?...

Have you also altered other things to make DC training into Getnbigger training?

At 6'2" and 233 your legs are not too big if you are someone who should really being doing DC training. In actuality, your legs can NEVER be too big if you're really someone who has goals that match DC training. The problem is that your upper body doesn't match your legs.

I guess you could say that at 6'2" if you're up around may be 330-350 offseason or in the upper 290's on stage, you might have a situation where your legs are "too big" but even then, you *would* probably be happy to have some ridiculously gigantic legs (and just be a supersized Tom Platz )

GB, the answer you've been seeking has been put forth probably a 1000 times on this board, but just not applied to the context of your situation. At your height and that weight, you're looking for balance before size. DC training is about size until your really, truly advanced, and then it's about bringing up body parts. The threads are for example about making arms bigger when only weighing 170 at 5'9" that suggest, "get bigger first" are the ones the apply to your situation.

(You might prove me wrong and be 230 at 4% and ALL legs, so the pics really are helpful.)

-Scott
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

• Getnbigger
          • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=homonunculus;835776]Have you also altered other things to make DC training into Getnbigger training?

No sir, I don't mean to make you think I am altering the training. I posted in an incorrect order.

GB, the answer you've been seeking has been put forth probably a 1000 times on this board, but just not applied to the context of your situation. At your height and that weight, you're looking for balance before size. DC training is about size until your really, truly advanced, and then it's about bringing up body parts. The threads are for example about making arms bigger when only weighing 170 at 5'9" that suggest, "get bigger first" are the ones the apply to your situation.

This is a perfect response. My concern is that I was not staying balanced, which is not the goal of DC at all. I hadn't thought about this. After thinking about this answer, who cares if my legs are getting bigger, at least I am growing. Thank you for the quick answer.

I have taken pics, howeve they are too big of kb and I am trying to figure out how to shrink them in order to post.

Thanks

Comment

• dropshot001
            Banned
            • Dec 2007

if you put the pictures into microsoft paint you can do a size reduction (like make the pic size 1/3 of the size) and then resave it....then the overall size of the file should be small enough to be able to upload it.

Comment

• homonunculus
              Super Moderator/Round Table Expert
              Admin
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Getnbigger
              This is a perfect response. My concern is that I was not staying balanced, which is not the goal of DC at all. I hadn't thought about this. After thinking about this answer, who cares if my legs are getting bigger, at least I am growing. Thank you for the quick answer.
              You're welcome.

Well, I wouldn't say that staying balanced is not the goal of DC at all. as I said in my previous post, "DC training is about size until your really, truly advanced, and then it's about bringing up body parts."

Now, if you have a situation where you're not growing / getting stronger on the upper body really at all (really stagnant there) and your legs are just blowing up, you might need to look at things, but as long as you're growing over all, you're good for a while. Until you starting getting body parts that are national / world class on a physique that is otherwise a couple levels below it, just keep on going.

-Scott
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

• Deepsquat3
                Lightweight Member
                • Apr 2007

unless they are 38 inches ..they are not too big ..and what the heck ...it would be great to have just one body part were people go WTF! ?
                A girl walks up to me and says" My God you're good looking!"
                ME " I know"
                Her"WHAT!"
                Me " I know I am good looking"
                Her" You're also and asshole"
                ME " I know that too!"

Comment

• stack3d
                  • Jan 2010

I have the problem at 6'2+ 225lbs. I am lanking just like you and find it hard to put size on my upper body. My legs are bigger then my upper body so it sucks when it comes to being symetrical for bodybuilding but most guys are the opposite so don't be too hard on yourself. Your upper body will catch up eventually and putting on any muscle is good.

I have not seen any pics but I find that you have to be careful in stating that you are putting muscle on your legs when they could infact be fat. I am not saying that is the case but my legs got huge (my term of huge) when I was bulking and thought it was all muscle but when I started trimming down I realized that I am not that out of proporation. Just keep hammering away at the log book and you should be okay.

Good luck with bb. I amd guessing you compete from your avatar.

Comment

• Getnbigger
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by stack3d
                    I have the problem at 6'2+ 225lbs. I am lanking just like you and find it hard to put size on my upper body. My legs are bigger then my upper body so it sucks when it comes to being symetrical for bodybuilding but most guys are the opposite so don't be too hard on yourself. Your upper body will catch up eventually and putting on any muscle is good.

I have not seen any pics but I find that you have to be careful in stating that you are putting muscle on your legs when they could infact be fat. I am not saying that is the case but my legs got huge (my term of huge) when I was bulking and thought it was all muscle but when I started trimming down I realized that I am not that out of proporation. Just keep hammering away at the log book and you should be okay.

Good luck with bb. I amd guessing you compete from your avatar.

Stackd,
                    I do hold more bodyfat in my lower body than my upper body. I am going to just continue eating and working to beat the log book and not be concerned with my lower body/upper body proportions until I have gained considerably more size . I do compete, however am not near the level I would like to be and plan to grown during the next 6 months. My weight at my last show was 192 at 6'2. I hope to compete next at 200 lbs even if the additional 8 lbs is all in my legs. Thank you for the comment.

Comment

• kroxic
                      Light-heavyweight Member
                      • Jul 2007

Buy bigger pants.

Problem solved.
                      2008 DC Journal
                      Use the code ECH436 at the checkout www.TrueProtein.com and save

Comment

• mwo55
                        Light-heavyweight Member
                        • Jul 2008

What a shitty problem!

I have issues with certain bodyparts being too big as well :-)
                        http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=40405

http://www.youtube.com/user/sampson5507

"Light is boring" -Dusty Hanshaw

"BEAT THE DAMN LOGBOOK"- Dante

Comment

• Deepsquat3
                          Lightweight Member
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kroxic
                          Buy bigger pants.

Problem solved.
                          Damn right brother
                          A girl walks up to me and says" My God you're good looking!"
                          ME " I know"
                          Her"WHAT!"
                          Me " I know I am good looking"
                          Her" You're also and asshole"
                          ME " I know that too!"

Comment

• Pech
                            • Nov 2009

28.5" leg circumference is not "big." There are pics of Homon & Henry's legs somewhere in the forum. Those are big freakin' legs. The problem is that your perception and perspective are skewed.

Just keep plugging away.

Comment

Working...