Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
austin109
Bantamweight Member

Lower Back Pain and Quad Exercises

Hey guys. I've got an old back injury that is interferring with my ability lift heavy in the traditional mass building moves for legs. Doing quad exercises has been challenging to find something that doesn't go and piss it off because after 3-6 weeks it always starts to pop back up. I just want some general feedback on ideas I'm working on to keep it in check enough where I can still make consistent progress. At this point as fast as possible is pretty much out and I'm more worried about consistent growth.

Here's some stuff I've been tinkering with and I'd appreciate any critique or suggestions.

1) Hacks as the only "squat". It takes a lot of pressure off the low back and I can focus on tempo more and reduce weight.

2) Cable Leg Press. It's one where the seat moves rather than the plate so I can control the depth a little better and seems to feel a little better on the back and still beats up quads. Just doesn't go as heavy as some of the other leg presses.

3) Trap Bar Deads. I was trying to do these with the bar upside down where I could get another 3 inches of depth but that got my back pretty good today. I'm considering just doing it from the regular position where it wont stimulate legs as much but it wont put so much strain on the back too.

As for other ideas I'm trying to work on hamstrings, core, and flexibility.

1) Hamstring/Glute kick back machine. I can load this up pretty heavy and work each leg independently. It should help offset any hip deviation thats starting to creep in from not recruiting glues/hams enough recently.

2) Higher volume hamstring RP sets. Heavy would start to see lower back arching as the sets got on. I've reduced weight and upped the rep range to focus on getting everything firing properly rather than solely pursuing weight.

3) Working more trunk stability/lower back with body weight exercises. Strengthening up somewhat without enough weight to piss it off.

I'm getting pretty damn frustrated with this thing. I don't want the surgery. My grandfathers on both sides have hip/knee replacements and lower back fusing surgeries and both swear that they'd live with the pain if they could go back. I'm happy sticking at 220-230 and not powering up to 250+ if it means being able to walk and play with my daughters but I don't want to just quit in the gym to do that.

Any input is very appreciated.
austin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
LG1
Super-heavyweight Member

Lower Back Pain and Quad Exercises

Try the rear foot elevated split squat in the smith machine.

Also the laying hoist leg press is easy on the lower back too.

- Success is the best revenge
LG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 AM   #3
ChubChub
Bantamweight Member

It sounds like any movements that need a core support would be out. So that'll leave things where the core is not supporting and instrumental. So I'm thinking anything machine like.
Vertical leg press, maybe?
I'm guessing with any of the movements, the minute you go heavy, it'll tweak in the back. So as you stated, it might mean a lot of tension with slower cadence and a lighter weight as option for a cycle or two.
ChubChub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Merkel

Vertical hack squat could work
Merkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #5
v1hyp
Intense Muscle Competitor

Are you stretching any after your workouts? Might help some...

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
2002 NPC Western Carolina:
2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..
v1hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
vishus

I had similar issue this past year and found out it was a glute imbalance/immobility issue; took a few weeks to strengthen back up and get stretching done but helped out big time
vishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:48 AM   #7
SAHD
Light-heavyweight Member

Sissy squat and lunges.

Don't laugh - I have hurt my back previously and these are my go to rehab exercises.

Especially lunges after Sissy Squat or lunges after leg extensions (pre-exhaust if you will).

Do your lunges as stepping back for a set of 10 all on one side then swap to the other. Next set do them stepping forward. The back stepping again. Holding Dumbbells to up the weight.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
~William Bernbach
SAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Herts_physique

Probably a silly question but have you seen a really good PT with experience working with bodybuilders? Former pro at our gym was all set for back surgery until a PT said 'give me 3 months to fix you - if it doesn't work you don't pay'. Just a thought...
Herts_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
armoredvan

Super Squats Hip Belt squats are f-ing anamzing for quads. I recommend straddling a barbell. I see pictures of a single dumbbell and that's way too light. Also, heels on a length of 2x4 or 25lb plates.

Do 15-20 rep sets, works great as RP sets too!

I started these at about 17 years old (I'm almost 47 and I use the same belt!).

I distinctly recall my girlfriends mom say "you're legs touch while you walk!"
armoredvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
thundergod
Lightweight Member

Bulgarian split squats are a good idea as mention. The belt squat is another great movement. You need to look into doing the Glute/Ham raise and the Reverse Hyper. The reverse hyper, if done properly, could do wonders for your back. Just go to youtube and search for reverse hyper and the belt squat if you're not familiar with them.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
ursmar

Austin, do you have access to belt squats or something similar? That would allow you to load the weight on your hips instead of your shoulders, which should be easier on your back.

Not a lot of gyms have that, though... I'm not sure if there's a safe way to improvise a belt squat. I'm imagining some horrible accident involving a couple of plyo boxes and a dramatically-overloaded weight belt.
ursmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
732mikee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
Bulgarian split squats are a good idea as mention. The belt squat is another great movement. You need to look into doing the Glute/Ham raise and the Reverse Hyper. The reverse hyper, if done properly, could do wonders for your back. Just go to youtube and search for reverse hyper and the belt squat if you're not familiar with them.
Do you load the reverse hyper? Or is body weight good enough to keep the low back healthy?
732mikee is offline   Reply With Quote