Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Ben and Jay's Sport-Specific Performance Forum

Ben and Jay's Sport-Specific Performance Forum Maximizing sport-specific performance through different training protocols, nutrition and supplementation and injury prevention.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
crod266
Lightweight Member

Off season hockey training

Hey guys I loved the sample in season program you posted on here months ago and I would love if you could post an offseason sample workout also. I tend to do more bodybuilding style training in the offseason. I'm not sure how you feel about that. Thankyou
crod266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
zimmy2

I have a few nhl summer programs.
Let me know if you want them.
zimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
brineal
Intense Muscle Competitor

i would keep much of the work similar in regards to exercise type and order (increasing percentages to 85+ and hitting heavy work for triples, doubles, singles) and increase overall work volume. additionally, you'll be able to incorporate more conditioning and varied conditioning because you no longer have the demands of game performance. you can also increase the amount of accessory work to supplement your core lifts. did you have any specific questions regarding the offseason? it might be interesting to take a look at those NHL programs and see their periodization and conditioning programs

"There is no substitute for strength, and no excuse for the lack of it"

"Two pains in life: pain of hard work and pain of regret"
brineal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
crod266
Lightweight Member

Zimmy- Yes if you wouldnt mind that would be great, thankyou

brineal-Thankyou and yes I do. My problem is what is too much. The reason I ask this is because today i played a pickup game on the ice and i was dead before I even started. My legs felt very heavy and I had no pickup from the drop of the puck. I have this idea in my head that with a very solid diet that I can be the very best overall trained athlete between strengh, stamina, speed, quickness and everything else basically. The problem is that I think I reached my point of too much. I still progress in the gym, but my legs were just not there today which means something is wrong.
Heres what a week for me looks like so critque as you can.

mon-Sprints and speed-Am Chest and arms-pm
tuesday-hockey am boxing-pm
wed-sprints and conditioning-am shoulders and back-pm
thurs-hockey-am boxing-pm
friday-legs-am
sat-45 min of hard cardio on bike
sun-off
crod266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
brineal
Intense Muscle Competitor

see i think that splitting your days like that is more akin to a bodybuilding type program, I would have a balance each day, maybe 4x per week alternating heavy power, light upper body, heavy leg or light power, heavy upper, light legs, heavy power/heavy upper/light legs, light power, light upper, heavy legs... if that makes sense, that way youre not going to be totally blasted in any one area of your body and will still be able to go out and practice without being wrecked. if i were you i would look at undulating periodization and try to familiarize yourself with those techniques because staggering intensities within a week will help you alot when it comes to performing during practices or scrimmages..

"There is no substitute for strength, and no excuse for the lack of it"

"Two pains in life: pain of hard work and pain of regret"
brineal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Knickerbocker24

Been a while since I've been on the board & this is a new forum. Before I post & step on anyone's toes, is it appropriate for others to answer poster's questions? I have a number of programs from my time interning w/ a Division I college hockey program that I'd be happy to share.