X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asim
    Light-heavyweight Member
    • Jun 2004

You know what kinda pisses me off

You know what kind of gets to me. People being classed in a certain group because of what they weigh.

I'm seeing it all the time. Its like a generalised statement. Like all guys over 200lbs being called meatheads. Like every guy who weighs a buck 60 must have the exact same story, the struggling teen who does a bulker/cutter bs crap and follows a new routine every month, looking up the new secrets in flex and thinks pounding down the junk food is gonna make them big.

I'm here to say generalised statements like that get to me. Its like ok all good and well I know that most guys 150-180 are gonna be those striving to be and are probably struggling and inexperienced. But not everyone is cut from the same cloth.

Its not always as simple as people make it out to be. I dont want to come out sounding like I'm bitching, whining, complaining or even look like an idiot. But for some of us its not jus as simple as once you've learned what it takes just apply it. I'm a guy who went from 240 to 140 and at 140 still holding enough fat not to see veins or seperation or even abs after that kind of fat loss. 5 years and I dont know how much muscle gain and even more fat loss later the progress shows. I firmly believe I've gained 35-40lbs of muscle yet still lie in that 160-170 range cause of the increased fat loss. So being in that buck 60, buck 70 range I'd be classed as an inexperienced guy afraid of gaining fat and having trouble gaining muscle right? Sometimes when you make big changes mental factors still stay the same and stop you from reaching your full potential.

I'm sorry if it sounds like a bitch or a rant, even a cry for which it most certainly is not. I just wanted to voice my thoughts and say that not everyone can be judged by what they weigh. A 200+lb guy may be intelligent, spit out well articulated sentences and be extremely well mannered/well spoken. And 160lb guy may not be just another wannabe.

Asim
  • Doggcrapp
    Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert
    • Feb 2004

I suppose this is directed to me and you have a valid point. I use "a buck 70" in reference to a generalization of the typical "know it all" young bodybuilder on bb.com that truly doesnt know it all. It is what it is, a generalization of a certain group.

I apoligize to anyone who is in that weight area when I say "a buck 70" --again its a generalized notion-- kind of like when I see urban white kids trying to be all ghetto and black and I think "ok snoop trevor trev"

Hey Ive referred to myself as "big daddy smooth" many a time in the offseason when I let myself get too heavy, so I guess it goes both ways.

Derik Farnsworth is a freind, Deriks about 170lbs and I sure as heck dont think of Derik at all when I talk about "a buck 70 guys"---I think of a highly advanced bodybuilder who would embarrass alot of guys onstage in the abs and thighs pose. So asim I apoligize to you if i struck a nerve--I didnt mean to encompass everyone in those statements--I felt it was a given who I was talking about
    IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

• Khan
      Light-heavyweight Member
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by asim
      You know what kind of gets to me. People being classed in a certain group because of what they weigh.

I'm seeing it all the time. Its like a generalised statement. Like all guys over 200lbs being called meatheads. Like every guy who weighs a buck 60 must have the exact same story, the struggling teen who does a bulker/cutter bs crap and follows a new routine every month, looking up the new secrets in flex and thinks pounding down the junk food is gonna make them big.

I'm here to say generalised statements like that get to me. Its like ok all good and well I know that most guys 150-180 are gonna be those striving to be and are probably struggling and inexperienced. But not everyone is cut from the same cloth.

Its not always as simple as people make it out to be. I dont want to come out sounding like I'm bitching, whining, complaining or even look like an idiot. But for some of us its not jus as simple as once you've learned what it takes just apply it. I'm a guy who went from 240 to 140 and at 140 still holding enough fat not to see veins or seperation or even abs after that kind of fat loss. 5 years and I dont know how much muscle gain and even more fat loss later the progress shows. I firmly believe I've gained 35-40lbs of muscle yet still lie in that 160-170 range cause of the increased fat loss. So being in that buck 60, buck 70 range I'd be classed as an inexperienced guy afraid of gaining fat and having trouble gaining muscle right? Sometimes when you make big changes mental factors still stay the same and stop you from reaching your full potential.

I'm sorry if it sounds like a bitch or a rant, even a cry for which it most certainly is not. I just wanted to voice my thoughts and say that not everyone can be judged by what they weigh. A 200+lb guy may be intelligent, spit out well articulated sentences and be extremely well mannered/well spoken. And 160lb guy may not be just another wannabe.

Asim
      Asim, you've been around this board A LONG time.

We know you're cool. The buck 50 thing is mostly for the real newbs that come along thinking they're the high and mighty BBer.
      5'8'', 215 lbs.

Raw powerlifter.

Comment

• craig57

lol it could be worse. im not even good enough for the 170 category yet.

Comment

• Sammich
          Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
          • Nov 2005

Derik Farnsworth may weigh a buck 70, but I think it's also important to remember he's like two and a half feet tall, also. :peep:
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

• teckno05
            Light-heavyweight Member
            • Apr 2006

im fine cuz i acualy never get mentioned! IM A BUCK 40! lol and im proud to say im in the learning stage

hell from everyones posts i dont think most people even reach that...

Comment

• asim
              Light-heavyweight Member
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Doggcrapp
              I suppose this is directed to me and you have a valid point. I use "a buck 70" in reference to a generalization of the typical "know it all" young bodybuilder on bb.com that truly doesnt know it all. It is what it is, a generalization of a certain group.

I apoligize to anyone who is in that weight area when I say "a buck 70" --again its a generalized notion-- kind of like when I see urban white kids trying to be all ghetto and black and I think "ok snoop trevor trev"

Hey Ive referred to myself as "big daddy smooth" many a time in the offseason when I let myself get too heavy, so I guess it goes both ways.

Derik Farnsworth is a freind, Deriks about 170lbs and I sure as heck dont think of Derik at all when I talk about "a buck 70 guys"---I think of a highly advanced bodybuilder who would embarrass alot of guys onstage in the abs and thighs pose. So asim I apoligize to you if i struck a nerve--I didnt mean to encompass everyone in those statements--I felt it was a given who I was talking about
              Thank You Dante. I realise where you are coming from in all this aswell. The years in this and having seen what you've seen. And I guess to a certain degree the majority are as you and others have stated bb.com kinda guys.

I just had to get it off my chest just like when you have your moments and write your long ass posts like "Paying Your Dues" hehe.

Comment

• sus
                Lightweight Member
                • Jan 2006

u need 2 chill out boss,if u gaining mass be happy,u lost all that fat be happy,
                i know it hard to be happy in scottland but try mate if not move down south.
                im 215lb and 12% body fat and i am not a meat head,so why worry about weight????

Comment

• AnyOldIron
                  Light-heavyweight Member
                  • Jan 2006

Asim: everyone started somewhere. I so much wanted to be a buck 70 when I was fat, lol. it's not what you weigh now as where you're going and how far you have come.

me, I'm 210 aiming for 220 at a reasonable bodyfat but as Badman well knows (and Sniffy mocks), I'm far from a meathead, I'm a bit of a nerd who is at college for computer programming and who paints lil 28mm figurines in his spare time.

(I also like fluffy kittens, long walks on the beach, writing poetry..)
                  liftism.com - the board of all boards

Comment

• Sammich
                    Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by AnyOldIron
                    (I also like fluffy kittens, long walks on the beach, writing poetry..)
                    :jump:
                    Attached Files
                    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                    kind of a douche

Comment

• blown
                      Bantamweight Member
                      • Nov 2004

A buck 70 basically means these kids who do bench and biceps and now think they are bad mother fvckers b/c their biceps and pecs are slightly larger than the average 19yo kid.

Comment

• sniffy54
                        Light-heavyweight Member
                        • Nov 2004

if you're 5'0" and weigh a buck 170, i'll listen to you.

Comment

• asim
                          Light-heavyweight Member
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sniffy54
                          if you're 5'0" and weigh a buck 170, i'll listen to you.
                          Thank god I'm not 5'0. Being too short can be a bit of a curse, no offence to anyone who is short. I feel 5'6 is a nice height for a natural bodybuilder as you could be 200lb on stage and look good. I'm getting close to 5'6 as I'm shrinking for some reason :loco: I think its the heavy squats compressing my body.

It's all good. I feel we all have an understanding here.

I like this place and I respect the opinions of most, especially those who know what they are talking about. Sometimes you gotta walk a mile in the other guys shoes and see what it is really like to be him. The guys who are extremely big seem to get classed in a stereotype at times aswell, people take one look and judge them yet they have no idea of the type of person they are.

Comment

• teckno05
                            Light-heavyweight Member
                            • Apr 2006

<- 5'11 .. shit.. lol its gonna take awhile for me to fill out
                            + long arms to begin with.. OH WELL!

Comment

• front2backjact
                              Lightweight Member
                              • Jul 2005

I think attitude has much more to do with these stereotypes than anything. It pisses me off when I'm doing rack chins and a Buck-seventy guy who has achived nothing tells me that how much better regular chins are, and how he does sets of 30...
                              But on the flip side, there are some pretty huge guys around that are so arrogant, grunt and screem while warming up in order to let everyone know how hardcore they are, and tell people to get off their machines, while dealing drugs to noobs in the parking lot. These guys that call themselves bodybuilders, make me ashamed to be associated with BB.
                              If all the gym rats around were as classy as people on the board, a lot of the stigmas could be removed from BB.

Comment

Working...