Im Stuck on DIPS, Incline Bench and also negative bench...what to do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aLegend
    Lightweight Member
    • Aug 2005

Im Stuck on DIPS, Incline Bench and also negative bench...what to do?

HI guys.
    you can read my problem in the headline!
    Last blast...i decided to cruise cuz i was stuck on DIPS, Incline Bench(barbell), negative bench (barbell)

Then after 2 weeks i came back and started again with weight on incline and decline barbell bench about 10 pounds lower and it went very fine.
    Now in 6th week of blasting im at the weight on which i stopped last blast!
    And what shall i say! Im STUCK AGAIN!!!!

Problem on dips is, that when im doing my 1st rep, i have to go down nearly in slow motion, cuz otherwise i burst through and im hanging on the very bottom with shoulders overstretched. Following reps are fine but the 1st one takes all my power, so that i cant to the 3 RP sets.
    Today i did 6-3-1 !!! and after the 1 i did about 6-8 negatives
    Its all crap cuz i want to keep dips, as it hits my lower tricpec (near the elbow) very hard!
    What about negatives only?

I really dont know what to do! I know I should switch the exercises ....but what shall i do for chest?
    Decline dumbbell bench maybe but what for incline bench?
    We only have 1 machine for chest in gym (sitting bench press) its like flat bench-a no no-....or?

So anyone got any solutions for me?
    and....a cruise is surel not the solution.
    Things on back, legs biceps are very fine!
  • moosy_jas
    • Jan 2006

just a couple of questions ............... how much have u progressed from other training methods and what (exercise/s) has worked good for ur triceps??

I am No DC expert, from old and new observations i think that dips effectivness varies from one body structure to another.............if ur triceps is weak then it is likely that ur dips are not that great........... i had this problem, drop them and do the two bench dips, where u place a plate in ur lap to add resistance if neccesary. . . .once u progress on that u can move on to the parrallel bars dips. . . .

i like to use dumbells for chest movements as that encourages the secondry muscles(triceps) to get into play........ so incline and flat dumbell is more than fine.........

only my opinion

Comment

• aLegend
      Lightweight Member
      • Aug 2005

hmm
      to the triceps problem...
      my weights on narrow bench press continuously go up!
      Every blast I add more weight.

But when it comes to dips....i have problem with these RP sets on dips, cuz like i said the 1st rep i do is so damn heavy, i have to do the movement very slow, otherwise i cant stand the weight and i break through.

Due to this superlow dippin on 1st rep i lose so much power that there isnt enough left for especially the following sets.

I integrated dips again into my routine for about 3 blasts now and my tricps responds great to them (especially the elbow area where the muscle ends, like i said before)
      Weights on dips moved up....but with the weight the problems with the slow movement came up.(today i added 55pounds at bw of 235 pounds)
      Its really bullshit.
      Narrow bench i added 210 pounds for 7-4-3.

I never tried these two bench dips...do they give you the same feeling and do they hit same area then normal dips do?

Curious thing is that my narrow bench goes up but dips do not!

Chest....
      i thought flat bench is a no go on dc?

Comment

• sifu
        Bantamweight Member
        • Mar 2007

Flat barbell bench isnt advised, as it can tear pecs and ruin your shoulders (anyone else feel free to be more technical) but machine presses should be ok,
        BrianB would be able to help as well as Wake and thenatural, they have alot of experience. I find that bench dips are ok but the added weight plates become unmanageable adding 4 45's then trying to get them off when you fail can only lead to disaster IMO. :mullet:
        Knowing is not enough you must apply- Bruce Lee

:Punch:

Comment

• moosy_jas
          • Jan 2006

Flat barbell are a no go unless ur doin high reps, but cant see why flat dumbell will be a problem!! If i remeber correctly DC talked about the inconviniency of some exercises to rest pause. . . . so he goes for straight sets or just do a more convenient exercise.
          As for the other dips (the bench ones) it is more triceps direct, or so i felt, chest and front delts get a great kick as well, it is just a matter of getting used to........but i would not pretend to tell u that one is more effective than the other coz i use and prefer one

have u thought about someone helpin u to get the wieghts around ur waist while u posistion urself at the start of the movement while u do dips, i m assuming u r using a hooked belt?
          Last edited by moosy_jas; 06-12-2007, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• BrianB2368
            Heavyweight Member
            • Feb 2006

you could increase your rep range on dips so that the first rep isnt as heavy so it doesnt take as much out of you. I would recommend lying tricep extensions. there is a video of Jason Wojo doing them if you are interested

and you are also stuck on 2 chest exercises, incline bench and negative (is this decline bench?) bench? What are all your other options for chest and what is your other chest exercise?
            Troponin Nutritionist

I get my supplements where elite athletes get theirs --TrueProtein.com Use the discount code BSB538 to save 5%

sigpic

Comment

• aLegend
              Lightweight Member
              • Aug 2005

Increasing Rep Range could be a solution, but i didn´t take this into concern cuz i got this "heavy weight/low reps" for good gains in my mind....
              anyone in here doing hi-reps on dips? what rep range would you recommend? 25rp?

Jep negative bench is decline benchpress.
              In my current rotation i have:
              - incline barbell
              - decline barbell
              - incline dumbbell

the only options for chest i have left are:
              - decline dumbbell (never tried these)
              - sitting machine press
              - Smith machine incline/decline (but i dont like this smith machine....i think it stresses tendons much more then free weights)

This sitting bench is like lying flat bench presses...just sitting.
              Im not sure if this is ok for DC.
              I never did flat bench since i started DC and ....i dont miss it.

Comment

• aLegend
                Lightweight Member
                • Aug 2005

is this "lying tricep extension" not nearly a skull crusher, just with a rest on bottom?

Comment

• db006
                  Lightweight Member
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by aLegend
                  is this "lying tricep extension" not nearly a skull crusher, just with a rest on bottom?
                  not really a rest, more like a "dead-lift". from what i understand.
                  Troponin Nutritionist

Comment

• Trulyhuge
                    Intense Muscle Vet
                    • Feb 2004

Use a machine press instead of one of your maxed out lifts.
                    Also, maybe on dips up the reps. This may give you a better feel in the triceps and will give your tendons a little break from not going as heavy.

TH
                    For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

Comment

• BrianB2368
                      Heavyweight Member
                      • Feb 2006

15-25 rp would be alright. Even if you increase the rep range, you're not necessarily going "light." so dont worry about that and focuse as going as heavy as you can while still getting that rep range.

you could do a slight incline for chest. ex - so if the bench has holes to change the incline and you have it on 4, put it on 1 or 2.
                      and that machine, like TH said.

you can do the lying tricep extensions from a dead stop like db said, or just do a touch and go without bouncing the weight.
                      Troponin Nutritionist

I get my supplements where elite athletes get theirs --TrueProtein.com Use the discount code BSB538 to save 5%

sigpic

Comment

• aLegend
                        Lightweight Member
                        • Aug 2005

hey guys
                        1st of all big thx for your effort, ill try upping the rep range on dips.
                        Today I had a 2nd try on incline bench and YES i finally did it:-)
                        im glad that i can at least this exercise in my rotation

Comment

Working...