X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MachMood
    Banned
    • Mar 2010

Carbs on non workout days

I was wondering if I should keep my carbs/cals the same during non workout days. Only working out M/W/F I was wondering if the extra cals will have a negative effect. Below is my diet on workout days, any suggestions for my non workout days?? I am 6'1 195 lbs

Meal 1
    Gainer Shake 570 cals 53g pro 75g carb

Meal 2
    2 pieces whole grain bread 2 cans tuna - 680 40 45

Workout

Meal 3 570 53 75
    Gainer shake

Meal 4 800 40 80
    4oz whole grain pasta 8oz turkey meat

Meal 5 500 40 40
    8oz chicken bread crumbed and baked

Meal 6
    8oz chicken breast with Mrs. Dash 375 40 0

Meal 7
    8oz turkey loaf w/green veggies 400 40 0

Meal 8
    Protein shake( 0 carb)
    Last edited by MachMood; 06-03-2010, 12:19 PM.
  • bbjeff86
    Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1217
    • Jan 2008

It really depends on your goals, body type, etc. If you are trying to stay as lean as possible, and aren't as concerned with seeing the scale rise as fast as possible you could probably drop your calories down a tad on at least a couple of your non lifting days... but those dropped calories could come from carbohydrates or fat depending on what your body prefers/runs best off of.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

• MachMood
      Banned
      • Mar 2010

I wanna get as big as possible as fast as possible and would rather gain alil extra fat then miss out on muscle gain. I used to be skinny fat, tall kind lanky but fat stomach and out of shape. I cut down from 198 to 184, I am now at 195 and look much better and wanna really focus on gaining muscle

Comment

• bbjeff86
        Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1217
        • Jan 2008

I would probably stick with what you are doing and see how it goes then. The only thing I would do/change would be take out the carbohydrates out of the last 2-3 meals... (i'm not sure if the turkey loaf has carbs in it or not)... just replace the natty peanut butter with a table spoon of olive, macadamia nut, or canola oil... basically just being strict with the carb cut-offs on those non lifting days, maybe 100-200 calories less on those days... if you start to get too fat for your liking you can adjust from there... but I think that would be a good starting point and will maximize your growth potential...

Just out of curiosity what is the macro breakdown of that current plan?
        -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
        -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
        198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
        -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
        198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
        -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
        198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

• MachMood
          Banned
          • Mar 2010

So ill keep that same diet every day, as far as the diet itself does it seem up to par?
          I am 6'1 195 lbs

Comment

• Shelby Starnes
            IFBB PRO
            • Feb 2005

I would add a lot more fat to your diet - fish oil, nut butters, olive and macadamia nut oil, whole eggs, red meat, almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc.

Comment

• grit
              Light-heavyweight Member
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Shelby
              I would add a lot more fat to your diet - fish oil, nut butters, olive and macadamia nut oil, whole eggs, red meat, almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc.
              Shelby, not to hijack this thread, but this is kind of along the same lines of what you're saying.

I bought your VLCD ebook and as a fat source you recommend almonds... I was wondering... do you worry about the trace carbs adding up from there? I tend to use almonds a LOT in my diet (around 2-3 servings a day some days).

...because you mention limiting drinking artificially sweetened liquid that uses maltodextrin as a binder... because that'll eventually add up....
              True Protein Discount Code: AWC155

Comment

• Shelby Starnes
                IFBB PRO
                • Feb 2005

On a VLCD you need to watch the quantities as they can add up, but this thread is about gaining weight.

Comment

• MachMood
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2010

Hey thanks a lot guys, I have added 2 scoops natty PB to my night time shake. Also Ive read not to mix fat/carbs, although it is a highly debated topic is it fair to say i should add my fats to the last 3 meals of my day??? I will prob add a handfull of cachews or almonds with 2 meals then the PB in my shake. My main concern is my carbs here, is that enough for a bulk??? It comes out to about 300g.

Comment

• Shelby Starnes
                    IFBB PRO
                    • Feb 2005

Depends on your metabolism but I'm guessing that at 6'1 and 195 yours is not slow.

I would increase the carbs, even doubling it on tough workout days.

Comment

• b_chest31
                      Bantamweight Member
                      • Aug 2004

My input is that it's too many meals, have 6 maybe 7. Also like others stated add fats, especially to your later meals where you don't consume carbs. If you can for breakfast have egg whites/eggs.

Comment

Working...