Q and A with John Meadows (MountainDog1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mountaindog1
    Round Table Expert/IFBB Pro
    • Jan 2010

you are welcome

Originally posted by HELLA SWOLE
    Hi John,

Great thread - thanks for contributing so much! I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

- What is a target level of protein per pound you would desire to attain in a natural client's diet in the 10% BF range whether dieting or gaining? Start at 1.25 and then tweak from there.

- DO you believe in carb cycling? If so, do you vary protein levels on those days as well since some believe that carbs are protein sparing? If so, how much? yes I do.I actually don't change fat and protein at all on those days, which probably sounds weird..haha...

- Do you believe in varying fat levels between days with higher and lower carbs? If so, how much? intra and post training and then another meal after that I prefer low fat higher carb..ideally train in evening....in morning meals most people do better on fat and protein and low carb....

Thanks,
    you are welcome! sorry for shortness...trying to get caught up
    John Meadows
    CSCS, CISSN
    Creator of the Mountain Dog Diet
    www.mountaindogdiet.com

Comment

• HELLA SWOLE
      IM Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by mountaindog1
      Not questionsing your answer here, but just for clarity sake, Is that protein number the grams per pound of BODYWEIGHT, or of LBM you recommend starting at?

Just seems low if it is for bodyweight and not LBM. 200 lbs bodybuilder at ~10% bf would then be taking in 250g protein. Just seems low, but then again, maybe i've been taking in too much "bro science" from reading the boards all the time... lol

Thanks,

Use the discount code "SPD365" for 5% off your orders at www.trueprotein.com; Order 16lbs or more, and you get 10% off!!!

Comment

• mountaindog1
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by HELLA SWOLE
        Not questionsing your answer here, but just for clarity sake, Is that protein number the grams per pound of BODYWEIGHT, or of LBM you recommend starting at?

Just seems low if it is for bodyweight and not LBM. 200 lbs bodybuilder at ~10% bf would then be taking in 250g protein. Just seems low, but then again, maybe i've been taking in too much "bro science" from reading the boards all the time... lol

Thanks,
        Yes that is correct. Most guys that eat 2x bodyweight etc..just get really bloated and have digestive issues. If you are getting 40 or so high quality grams a meal, it'll take oyu far. You can move up from there. I use around 300 grams myself and am at 230lbs. Not saying this is right for everyone...there are lots of other factors too (like how the rest of your diet shapes up ) that plays into this...JM
        John Meadows
        CSCS, CISSN
        www.mountaindogdiet.com

Comment

• allnaturaljon
          • Jul 2006

Hey John, first off thanks to your Meadows Rows and leg training tips I was able to make significant improvements for my last competition compared to the year before.

I noticed that you mentioned supplementing with EAA, but what about BCAA's? Is there one you prefer over the other? I've only ever used BCAA's for cardio/intraworkout during my prep.

Thanks!
          "But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded"
          2 Chronicles 15:7

Comment

• BigLar
            Middleweight Member
            • Mar 2008

Hi John,

I'm two weeks post-op today from my emergency stomach surgery (we exchanged a few emails on this). I've been reading as much as I can about your experience. This was the scariest thing I have gone through medically and your story has been comforting.

You told me that you went too heavy too fast. If you had to do it all over or were in my situation, how would you start training again once the doctor gave the all clear? I plan on working with you once I'm given the OK, but I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for what is ahead.

The doctor warned me about hernias, so this is really concerning. He said that normal people would be able to start training again at around six weeks, but said it would probably be eight weeks for me. I'm sure I can do something at six weeks or sooner, even if it is pink dumbbells.
            Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

Comment

• mountaindog1
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by allnaturaljon
              Hey John, first off thanks to your Meadows Rows and leg training tips I was able to make significant improvements for my last competition compared to the year before.

I noticed that you mentioned supplementing with EAA, but what about BCAA's? Is there one you prefer over the other? I've only ever used BCAA's for cardio/intraworkout during my prep.

Thanks!
              I have used and really liked EAA's. I used to use BCAA's intraworkout, but I use casein hydrolysate and carbs now. BCAA's are good, the Leucine really...but casein hydro is a complete protein that sucks right up into muscle during training and good for protein synthesis. BCAAs, Leucine really is good for insulin spike which is extremely anti-catabolic and also really good, but I use carbs for this instead.

JM
              John Meadows
              CSCS, CISSN
              www.mountaindogdiet.com

Comment

• c.m.
                • Aug 2010

Hi JM
                been searching for some advice on how to get my hamstrings better on stage. my hamstrings and quads are like two bodyparts from 2 different people. There is a reasonable amount of balance, but the detail difference from front to back is staggering. I do all the usual suspects for them in many different combos. tried to get my numbers higher, rep scheme changes, pre exhaust, partials etc.
                I have recently been thinking they are not big enough to have the needed density to really see the development, but I also see plenty of other good bodybuilders with less development have stellar detailed hams.
                I have been researching the idea of ART and graston technique to bring out more details and see if there is a firing deficiency, or see if it can induce hyperplasia, just unsure if people really see tangible results form it.
                thanks for talking shop here.
                I tried to get down to London for the LTT seminar last month, but my school's budget didn't allow this time around. next time for sure
                thanks
                -c

Comment

• ch3v3ll3
                  Light-heavyweight Member
                  • Nov 2010

John, I'm uncertain if you're still checking this, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

During most freeweight curl movements, my forearms seem to take over during the execution of the lift. I suspect this is due to my relatively long arms.

Are there any movements you prefer that seem to take the forearms out of the curling? I'm using HS preacher curls right now that seem to work the best, but I'm looking for other exercises I could rotate in.

Thank you.

Comment

• SideShowDoc
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by mountaindog1
                    What would you consider lower carb? Perhaps just under 20-30 grams or so, maybe coming from some fruit like berries along with the fat and protein and veggies?

Comment

• SideShowDoc
                      • Jan 2012

And why do you particularly prefer evening training? Is it kind of along the lines with what dh Keifer says about carb back loading, being less sensitive to insulin in the evening and using the training to re sensitize ony muscle cells, then getting the majority of your carbs in then? And I guess lower carb and more fat/protein earlier equals to steadier energy and mental focus, and less bloat during the day?

I have always just trained earlier because I feel full by mid day to night after several meals and like training on only a meal or two. Then again I have never tried lower carb first half of the day for an extended period of time.

Comment

• Doberman
                        Advertising Manager / Intense Muscle Competitor
                        • May 2006

I'll talk to John soon and let him know to check on here. He's been busy as many of you know.
                        1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                        2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                        2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                        2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                        2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                        2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

• CmCMack
                          • May 2010

Whats your take on liver tablets, such as beverly international or uni-liver?
                          Some people swear by them, others say its too much iron, etc?
                          I value your opinion on nutrition and training... Just curious to see what you have to say about them!

Comment

• Dorian32
                            • Jun 2012

John, can mountain dog training be done with frequency similar to DC?
                            Tnx, and keep up the good work.

Comment

• mountaindog1
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Dorian32
                              John, can mountain dog training be done with frequency similar to DC?
                              Tnx, and keep up the good work.
                              Yep, as long as your recovery is in order. I trained 7 days a week this year precontest and made the best gains of my life....have many others doing 6 and 7 day routines too doing well..

JM
                              John Meadows
                              CSCS, CISSN
                              www.mountaindogdiet.com

Comment

• mountaindog1
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CmCMack
                                Whats your take on liver tablets, such as beverly international or uni-liver?
                                Some people swear by them, others say its too much iron, etc?
                                I value your opinion on nutrition and training... Just curious to see what you have to say about them!
                                Nothing special....I used to chew them up and eat them my diets were so hard back in the old days..thank God I don't have to do that anymore...

the last thing most bodybuilders need is more iron..

JM
                                John Meadows
                                CSCS, CISSN
                                www.mountaindogdiet.com

Comment

Working...