• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Team Hoss
    Bantamweight Member
    • May 2007

Deadlifts=trouble for me.....very upsetting

A little about myself:
    26 yrs old – 5’11” – 193lbs – approx 12% BF; I never lifted much in high school and started lifting, ignorantly of course, when I was 19-20 yrs old. I had cuff surgery a couple of yrs later and got back into the gym upon recovering. I graduated college and work forced me to give up lifting due to limited time. I started back 2.5 years ago and haven't let up since. I’d say, condensed, I’ve been in the gym for about 5-6 yrs. I've experimented with several different routines. In the beginning, I had my own routine that I would tweak according to how my body reacted. Seemed like the first 3-4 years I would be forced to take breaks due to college and work. I would return after a few months layout and have to work back to where I was previously at. Point being, the first several years were full of learning about my body, but not being able to see any long term results/conclusions.

I didn’t bother with legs much until about a year ago. I mean, I would do extensions and curls, but no presses or squats….yet I always wondered why I had trouble adding size and hitting plateaus. I always felt that presses and squats would injure my back – which I’ll explain later. Back…..whooo….never attempted deadlifts….”I don’t plan on bodybuilding, so I don’t need them……hey, why can’t I get bigger/stronger???” What an idiot I was. Besides, my grandfather, my dad, and my brother when he was 26, have all had plates and screws put in their backs. So why would I want to deadlift after almost every man in my family has been under the knife?

Well, about a year ago, I says to myself, “Self, we both know you don’t have any intention of bodybuilding, but you want to be as big/strong as genetically possible, so get in that gym where you love to escape everyday trials and be in your own world, and quit being a pussy! Quit feeling sorry for yourself and attempt a progression of changing/beating genetics and strengthen your back. Beat the odds! Stop using your back as an excuse not to squat and deadlift and start busting ass!”

So that’s what I did…..I started with good mornings and hyperextensions, then moved to light squats and deadlifts and the strength started coming right along. Little did I know that the strength gains would be throughout my body, just because of those two lifts. A year later, I don’t know what I would do without either of them. I look forward to squat days and deadlift days, whereas I used to despise them.

Two and a half months ago, I became as strong as I’ve ever been and that’s when I discovered DC Training. I felt I knew my body very well and started reading everything I could on DC. After 2 weeks of studying, I started DC and have loved every minute of it. I have progressed in all my lifts and have only switched out 2 exercises the past 8 weeks. You ever beat the log book and wonder if you cheated somehow on the lift because of the progress you’ve made? Great isn’t it!?

Well, remember how genetically f-ed up I am in my lower back. The stronger I get, the more prevalent are lower back problems. I’ve had BBers watch my form and I’ve read and studied and everything else to make sure my form is good, but problems continue. Well, Monday, I overdid it. I bumped up my deadlift 10 pounds on my first set due to hitting 9 reps on my last workout. I completed 8 reps, which was great! On rep 6 though, is when I felt it. Something gave and later than night, I could hardly move and trying to sleep was excruciating. I had to lie out of work yesterday because the pain of sitting was unbearable. I am still in pain today, but it’s somewhat tolerable, so I’m back at work. All the aleve and ibuprofen in the world is barely a relieve.

Every once and awhile, I have a spout with my lower back and this is by far the worst ever. I’ve decided that I’ve got to do something or I’m going to end up like the other men in my family. So this is where I’d like some input. Man, do deadlifts and I get along so well, but – I’m wondering if I should get rid of them. Flat BB bench is dangerous for some people, the same could be for DL and I, right? Will my strength and size gains continue is if replace them? Suppose I just knocked the weight back and continued to do them – but then I wouldn’t be recruiting muscle fibers as effectively, would that actually hinder my routine or be wasting time? Suppose I supplemented my routine with them, but then would I be overworking my back? There are several back thickness exercises I can do and I’m sure I would have to rotate DL’s out someday anyways – but suppose I do layoff them and then come back to them later and the ultimate injury occurs!? I don’t want to take that chance.

This is the way I feel: DL’s are King and I don’t want to let them go, but it’s evident that something has to be done……only “What?” is the question. In all honesty, with only personal goals at risk with lifting and not with BBing, I should prolly replace them and not risk injury. I just really, really, don’t want to give them up.
    I work my ass off to kick yours.

My thoughts in that are "If you take the crap, you deserve that crap, stop complaining about it to everyone" - "Feel sorry for me while I chow down this box of oreo's" - DANTE
  • boondocksmuscle
    Super-heavyweight Member
    • Aug 2006

sounds like you need to find a good chiro or go to the doctor. as you already know your back isnt something you fuck with. now as far as exercise selection if your doing DC, which im assuming you are, you dont have to do full deads to develop a great back. barbell rows, db rows, corner rows, rack deads, and cable rows are all possible options. to minimize risk on your lower back i would go with cable rows, db rows and rack deads.

id cruise for a couple weeks to get your back fixed up w/ some chiro/PT.
    Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Remember, if you can’t pick it, grow it, or kill it, you shouldn’t be eating it.- Justin Harris

Bodybuilding is stressful. The joy is seeing how incredibly the body adapts. The smart thing is to keep the machine as healthy as possible along the way, IMO.- Homon[/FONT]

Comment

• dbcb314
      November 2007 Intense Set of the Month
      • Aug 2005

Dump the DL's

Yes DL's can be dangerous for some people. I can't pull conventional for long periods of time because for me, pulling conventional is playing with fire. I have hurt my back constantly (luckily nothing serious yet) and no matter what form adjustments I make it doesn't help. I actually switched to Sumo DL's recently and now I can DL pain free.

Getting hurt constantly isn't gonna make you any stronger or bigger. You need to be healthy to grow... a fucked up lower back ruins too many other things.

You may want to try pulling sumo... but IMO they don't offer the same BB'ing benefits as Conventional pulling does.

Can you rack pull? If not who cares anyway... just stick to rows for back thickness.

Comment

• Team Hoss
        Bantamweight Member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by boondocksmuscle
        sounds like you need to find a good chiro or go to the doctor. as you already know your back isnt something you fuck with. now as far as exercise selection if your doing DC, which im assuming you are, you dont have to do full deads to develop a great back. barbell rows, db rows, corner rows, rack deads, and cable rows are all possible options. to minimize risk on your lower back i would go with cable rows, db rows and rack deads.

id cruise for a couple weeks to get your back fixed up w/ some chiro/PT.
        Thanks for the attention. I'm a bit of a hardass when it comes to docs of all kinds. Like I mentioned, this isn't my first rodeo with lower back probs. If I layoff for a bit, the soreness and uncomfort will subside and I can continue. I am continuing my rack deads - I really love those babys. They don't bother me - nothing bothers me except for the DL's. Right now, I have T-bar rows and rack deads and......to be determined elimitating DL's.

I will miss the indirect hitting of DL's that persuade the rest of the body to grow

My thoughts in that are "If you take the crap, you deserve that crap, stop complaining about it to everyone" - "Feel sorry for me while I chow down this box of oreo's" - DANTE

Comment

• Team Hoss
          Bantamweight Member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by dbcb314
          Dump the DL's

Yes DL's can be dangerous for some people. I can't pull conventional for long periods of time because for me, pulling conventional is playing with fire. I have hurt my back constantly (luckily nothing serious yet) and no matter what form adjustments I make it doesn't help. I actually switched to Sumo DL's recently and now I can DL pain free.

Getting hurt constantly isn't gonna make you any stronger or bigger. You need to be healthy to grow... a fucked up lower back ruins too many other things.

You may want to try pulling sumo... but IMO they don't offer the same BB'ing benefits as Conventional pulling does.

Can you rack pull? If not who cares anyway... just stick to rows for back thickness.
          It's funny you bring that up, I started out pulling conventional, then went to sumo. Then went BACK to conventional. What was great, was that I transitioned back to conventional with the same weights I had been pulling with Sumo. It was a very interesting discovery.

I may try to go back to sumo, but I'm snake bit man....I don't want to lose everything I've gained because of one lift. It's a long road after back surgery. It's prolly something that is inevitable for me anyways, just not right now. I agree that conventional is more beneficial, IMHO. Which may suggest that if sumo is my only option, I might as well just stick to racks and rows.

Comment

• clh5341
            Lightweight Member
            • Aug 2006

This is quite the conundrum. I've always figured that one of the reasons that I've never (up until very recently) had back problems was because I always deadlifted, stretched, and worked abs to keep my core strong. You, likely being genetically predisposed to back problems, might be destroying yourself doing the very thing that seems to help me.

I'd definitely go in to see a chiro. Get a recommendation from somebody you trust. Due to a long term muscle imbalance in my legs from a knee injury, my back has recently started bothering me. I just started seeing a chiro last week, and I can't believe how much better I feel all over. I sleep way better too. It's actually pretty cool. Plus, depending on insurance, it may not cost much. I paid a one time fee of $250 and now I'm covered for life with this guy. He also has a hot little blondie who gives me 45 min deep tissue massages twice a week for free. To me, it's worth it just to have access to the massages, though I feel better all over than I have in a long time. Good luck.
            "The sun shines even on a dog's ass sometimes."- My Dad

Comment

• dbcb314
              November 2007 Intense Set of the Month
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Team Hoss
              It's funny you bring that up, I started out pulling conventional, then went to sumo. Then went BACK to conventional. What was great, was that I transitioned back to conventional with the same weights I had been pulling with Sumo. It was a very interesting discovery.

I may try to go back to sumo, but I'm snake bit man....I don't want to lose everything I've gained because of one lift. It's a long road after back surgery. It's prolly something that is inevitable for me anyways, just not right now. I agree that conventional is more beneficial, IMHO. Which may suggest that if sumo is my only option, I might as well just stick to racks and rows.

Then stick to racks and rows man

rack pulls
              tbar rows
              45* rows
              pendlay rows
              cable rows
              db rows
              various machine rows
              chest supported rows

sooooooooooooooooooooooo many choices for back thickness. And... you only need 3. Pick three, hit it hard, progress each week, and leave the back problems behind is what I would do in your situation.

Comment

• Thot
                Bantamweight Member
                • May 2007

Same problem here. Do what dbcb314 says, there´s no point in fucking your back by doing a movement that you know that hurts.

Rack pulls work well for me.

Comment

• JT1
                  Super-heavyweight Member
                  • Jul 2006

do you have any videos of you DL'in? you could get some great feedback from the guys on here. if not then ive got to agree with DBCB too. lots of good exercises to choose from
                  "The only person that gains from massive steroid use is the dealer" - Lee Priest

"I did shag an older 'milf type' recently - 35-36ish - thats about the oldest! I like how with the older ones there are less games. A bit saggier, but better technique." - Redskull

"I've never been caught wanking." - IronBrendan

"my poop shoot was clogged up tighter than a nun's happy place." - DuckDuckGoose

"my nipples look like torpedo's and I can't get Pink's "Stupid girls" out of my head" - Redskull

Comment

• Team Hoss
                    Bantamweight Member
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by JT1
                    do you have any videos of you DL'in? you could get some great feedback from the guys on here. if not then ive got to agree with DBCB too. lots of good exercises to choose from
                    I don't have any vidoes available and I'm certainly not going to stack the bar to hit it again just for a video.

Man, I'm at the point though, to where my form could be the best anyone has ever seen, and my genetics would still bend me over and jab me in the ass. Like I say, I've had many pros check me out....Lex Luger being one....and they all have said I'm good. (I live in Atlanta-lots of pros here-BBers & wrestlers)

Sux! I feel like dbcb314, there are so many exercises for back thickness, none of course that indirectly benefit the rest of the body, but nevertheless - thickness is the objective. I do have rack deads to look forward to...I mean, I look forward to all of them, but deads and racks are pure brute force, ya know.

:bye2:Check ya later DL's.....

Hello rows!

I believe I will start back with the hyperextensions and good mornings to continue strengthening lower back. This could possibly prevent the inevitable surgery I've been genetically predisposed to.

I also have a deep tissue message set up with a friends therapist.....oh I can't wait!:dance:

Comment

• BigGoals2Bdone
                      • Sep 2006

Could it be you have a "defect" in your back. You said its in your genetics to have a f'ed up back, don't you think there's a possibility of you having a naturally occuring defect in your back??

there are so many parts in the spine, that it could be a possibility, especially when you mention that your brother, father and grandfather all have back problems....

Comment

• exmgq
                        Intense Set of the Month August 2007
                        • Apr 2006

reverse hypers 2xw will help stailize the lumbar region 3sets of 10reps. lots of high rep ab/oblique work added in is benefical as well. i have trained several folks with "bad " backs and all have either become pain free or have it greatly subside. they all pull deads and squat now.

stop pulling for now and incorporate the above suggestions. give it a month or two then start back pulling with light weight.

btw i didnt read all of your original post, it is way too long
                        site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

• Team Hoss
                          Bantamweight Member
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by BigGoals2Bdone
                          Could it be you have a "defect" in your back. You said its in your genetics to have a f'ed up back, don't you think there's a possibility of you having a naturally occuring defect in your back??

there are so many parts in the spine, that it could be a possibility, especially when you mention that your brother, father and grandfather all have back problems....
                          Yeah, I'm thinking defect=pour skeletal structure or weakened discs or lessened integrity throughout my whole f-ing back - point is, something in my back just isn't as strong as it should be - skeletal system wise.

As far as a defect - my spine isn't crooked or poking out. I don't walk funny and it never hurts unless I do something that it can't handle. I may just be progressing too fast for my spine, so to speak.

I remember last year when I started with 135# on the DL's just to take it easy because I was scared. That's grown to over 300# now. I got to that weight fairly quick and have only had 1 other occassions like this one.

It may be that my muscles are too weak and my spine tries to compensate thus causing problems for me. If so, then you have to look at this: If I'm beating the logbook everytime I DL, and I mean by 10# to 3 reps, and my spine continues to hurt, then I'm setting myself up for a major catastrophe with my lower back and then i'll be out of commission for 6 months - no matter if i get stronger. If my muscles couldn't do the work, then I wouldn't even be able to get it off the floor. I feel my spine and muscles aren't jiving.

Okay, so just lessen the weight and build it slowly you say. Here's the problem I see with that, correct me if I'm wrong - if I'm not recruiting the maximum muscle fibers as possible, then what good am I doing? DC is set up on rest-pause and RP is set up to recruit max fibers based on sets going to failure with minimal time between sets. So if I'm not going to failure within a rep range, then I'm just on a long term cruise. OR I could stop DL's and go to something else that I can progress on and continue building back thickness.

Per DC, "What is approved is anything you truly believe in that you can progress on exercise wise (destroy it, own it, make it your bitch)"

So there you go, DL's aren't worth risking my progressing and my goals. I've been delt a nasty hand and I'll deal with it.

I'll gladly accept other points of view. This is just the way I feel about my situation.

Comment

• Team Hoss
                            Bantamweight Member
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by exmgq
                            reverse hypers 2xw will help stailize the lumbar region 3sets of 10reps. lots of high rep ab/oblique work added in is benefical as well. i have trained several folks with "bad " backs and all have either become pain free or have it greatly subside. they all pull deads and squat now.

stop pulling for now and incorporate the above suggestions. give it a month or two then start back pulling with light weight.

btw i didnt read all of your original post, it is way too long
                            I'm considering that, like I mentioned earlier - "I believe I will start back with the hyperextensions and good mornings to continue strengthening lower back. This could possibly prevent the inevitable surgery I've been genetically predisposed to."

Only thing is that I don't want to overtrain my back with added exercises. Not sure that the exercises you mentioned would be overtraining.

Here's the reality - I'm not sure how many more straws will break the camels back. Suppose I only have one more mulligan left? What happens if i push myself that one time and then have to give it up for 6 months?

I suppose that's something I will have to figure out I want to risk on my own. People risk career ending injuries all the time because of ailments and some succeed. Maybe I ought to pony-up and stop being a pussy. To be honest, I never though I'd make it as far as I have with DL's.

Comment

• Team Hoss
                              Bantamweight Member
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by exmgq
                              reverse hypers 2xw
                              ?

Please explain. I think I know what you're saying, but have never heard it called 'reverse.'

Comment

Working...