X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Genetix
    Bantamweight Member
    • Feb 2006

Genetix: Road to Redemption

I have just finished competing in my first Team Universe event on the 14th and 15th of ths month. I finished 13th out of 17 competitors in the ligh-heavyweight class and weighed in at 194lbs. I am currently prepping for the 2007 Team Universe and have been training since the 16th in a quest to come in bigger and harder than my first outing.
    My current bodyweight is 215lbs as of the 25th and I plan on it only going up! I have been implementing various training and dietary strategies in a quest to do so. I will be providing my workouts and nutrition/supplements for the time being for review and critique from any who feel the need to do so. I am also using this as a tool to better myself as a competitor both inside and outside of the gym. This will be a full year's worth of training as I prepare for my next NPC event.

-Matt Cena
    www.mattcena.com
  • Genetix
    Bantamweight Member
    • Feb 2006

I am currently in the first phase of my off season training. My bodyweight, as mentioned before, has increased from 194lbs to 215lbs in 11 days. This is a 21lb increase and by no means am I believing that it is all muscle but it is a start in the right direction for the type of physique I plan on presenting on stage next year.
    Phase I: My Phase I training approach is BFT style. I will be completing my second week of BFT workouts this Friday and will backlog that information for this training journal. I know one thing, I respond very well to no time off after a contest and this type of training. My strength levels have increased and I am recovering at a rather remarkable rate.
    Diet: I will be nailing my diet within the next few days as I phase out any cheat foods. I am currently consuming 8 meals per day. By meals I mean a sitting where either food or an MRP is consumed. I have four whole food meals and 4 MRP's, not counting protein shakes as meals.

Well that is all the info for now and I will post the workouts from thus far later on during the week as I do not have that information in front of me at this time. I thank all who have taken interest into my unique traing and dietary approach, promising that this will be a productive year.

-Matt Cena
    www.mattcena.com

Comment

• IronBrendan
      Super-heavyweight Member
      • Jun 2005

Good to see you posting your journal over here bro. Welcome to the journals section. We have a great one ehre at IM.
      "Intensity is finite, volume is finite, weights are infinite." - DC

"Everyone seems to think having a strict diet is hardcore. Wrong! It’s so easy. There is no strain or effort. You just follow the damn diet! Hardcore is stuffing your face to the point where you feel like you’re going to pop and then going to get a milkshake." --Dave "Fuckin'" Tate

Get 5% OFF at trueprotein.com with Discount Code: BTR777

Formerly El_Animal

Comment

• RedSkull
        TEAMSKIP.net web designer
        • Jul 2006

Looking foward to reading your updates.
        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

• jplahm
          Light-heavyweight Member
          • Sep 2005

Hey Matt,
          Glad to see you startin a journal here!!I look forward to following your progress!
          Jeff

Comment

• back2frontjact
            Super-heavyweight Member
            • Jul 2005

^^ditto to that, Matt!!!

Julie

Comment

• Genetix
              Bantamweight Member
              • Feb 2006

Monday
              Chest and Calves
              BodyMasters Pec Fly machine
              50lbs x 15 for warmup
              -into some basic chest stretching and mentaly preparing myself for the torture that awaits me in the form of my sets
              200lbs x 10+8*, 140lbs x 1+6, 100lbs x 2+8
              *these are full forced reps providing just enough momentum to keep me from doing a negative
              200lb stack+25lb plate x 8+8, 140x1+8, 100 x 2+8
              Flat Barbell bench Presses
              315lbs x 4+8, 225lbs x 2+8, 135lbs x 1+6
              Smith Machine Flat Presses
              315lbs x 9+8, 225lbs x 2+8, 135lbs x 4+6
              Calves
              Seated Calf Raises
              200lbs x 4+3, 145lbs x 6+3, 100lbs x 2+3, 45lbs x 10
              Standing Calf raises
              570lbsx 8, 405lbs x 8, 300lbs x 8, 210lbs x 8, 105lbs x 8
              -for calves I had to spot myself so it was a little more difficult to get the forced reps on seated, standing were done to 8 for each drop during the set
              www.mattcena.com

Comment

• Genetix
                Bantamweight Member
                • Feb 2006

Wednesday
                Shoulders and Triceps
                Shoulders
                Dumbell Seated Side Lateral Raises
                20lb dumbells x 20 for wu
                35lb dumbells x 8+8, 20lb x 6+8, 15lb x 6+8
                35lb dumbells x 10+8, 20lb x 4+8, 15lb x 3+8
                Bodymasters Shoulder Press
                250lb stack+** 8+8, 170lbs x 2+6, 90lbs x 2+8
                ** training partner added manual resistance by pulling down on machine
                Triceps
                Tricep Straight Bar Pressdowns
                210lbs x 4+6, 170lbs x 1+4, 80lbs x 6+4
                Lying Incline Overhead Rope Extensions
                125lbs x 9+8, 95lbs x 1+8, 45lbs x 2+8

I still need to get a better feel for my drops so that I may complete around 6-8 reps prior to any forced but the workouts are brutally assaulting me and I feel great. The bodyweight is going up and my strength sems to be following. This is my second week of the workout program and I plan on at least 3 more weeks before any changes are to be made.

Tommorow is Back and Biceps, until then ..............................

-Matt Cena
                www.mattcena.com

Comment

• IronBrendan
                  Super-heavyweight Member
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Genetix
                  ...but the workouts are brutally assaulting me and I feel great. ...
                  LOL you masochist. That's a lot of forced reps bro. I wish I had a workout partner
                  "Intensity is finite, volume is finite, weights are infinite." - DC

"Everyone seems to think having a strict diet is hardcore. Wrong! It’s so easy. There is no strain or effort. You just follow the damn diet! Hardcore is stuffing your face to the point where you feel like you’re going to pop and then going to get a milkshake." --Dave "Fuckin'" Tate

Get 5% OFF at trueprotein.com with Discount Code: BTR777

Formerly El_Animal

Comment

• RedSkull
                    TEAMSKIP.net web designer
                    • Jul 2006

Looks good. 315 x 4 is a nice bench.
                    PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

• jplahm
                      Light-heavyweight Member
                      • Sep 2005

Awesome #'s Matt!!!

Comment

• Genetix
                        Bantamweight Member
                        • Feb 2006

Thursday
                        Back And Biceps
                        I started today with 3 sets of 10 leg raises for my abdominals. This past year I really didn't train my abs as often as I should have and they are now going to be a focal point of my training. I also desperately need to bring my calves up so they were hammered with 1 intense set at the end of the workout.
                        Back
                        Cable Pullovers
                        60lbs x 10 for wu
                        100lbs x 8+8, 70lbs x 2+8, 40lbs x 4+8
                        100lbs x 6+8, 50lbs x 6+6, 30lbs x 15+15
                        -these were performed over a flat bench using a cable attached to a seated row stack. the gym I train at does not have pullover machine and using dumbells for BFT I do not believe would be safe .
                        Seated Cable Rows
                        180lbs x 7+3
                        -the goal of this set was a strict 10 reps. Keeping this in mind and recalling a Flex Magazine article form the late 80's early 90's "The Knee In The Back That Made Gaspari" we took a Joe Gold approach. After getting set into position for a seated row, a training partner pushes his leg and knee into your back allowing you to become perpendicular with no rearward lean. this really helps to isolate the back and keeps all the tension in the lats as opposed to cheating the stack up and swaying with momentum.
                        Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns
                        200lbs x8+8, 140lbs x 6+8, 90lbs x 6+8
                        200lbs x 6+2EFRS, 140lbs x 4+2EFRS, 90lbs x+2EFRS
                        -EFRS or extreme forced reps, the spotter on this set provided just enough assistance on the bar to keep it from going back up but provides no assistance in the actual lowering of the bar. these reps took quite sometime and I was completely torched afterwards. It's a good thing that ws the end of the Back portion of the workout.
                        Biceps
                        High Cable Curls
                        75lbs x 8+4, 45lbs x6+4, 25lbs x4+4
                        75lbs x15+6, 45lbs x#+6, 25lbs x 10+20
                        -these were done in a crossover station like perfoming a front double biceps using the high attachments. some people call these hercules curls or many other names.
                        Standing Calf Raises
                        bwx15 for 2 warmup sets
                        570lb stack+(2)45lb plates x8, 550lbs x6, 405lbs x 6, 300lbs x 6 105lbs x8, bodyweight x 20 rapid reps

That was todays thrashing.

Notes: I can tell why I am supposed to have a days rest between shoulders/triceps and back/biceps days. i got some good stretching in between sets and felt like nothing was left behind when I finally exited the gym. This style of training is just as hard on the mind as it is the body, which I fell will truly be beneficial during my in between session where a mre conventional workout will be implemented. All poundages still need to be better calibrated as week 2 is nearing completion. i will be taking tommorow off and traing legs on Saturday. Until then.........................

-Matt Cena
                        www.mattcena.com

Comment

• MauiBuilt
                          Bantamweight Member
                          • Apr 2005

Hey Matt, whats BFT style training??
                          "Home Grown"

Comment

• Genetix
                            Bantamweight Member
                            • Feb 2006

BFT Style or Beyond Failure Training is a training philosophy/methodologoy created by the late Trevor SMith. It focuses primarily on 1)pre exhuasting the working muscle group 2)forced repetitions with drop sets. There is complete details about the program on the net.
                            If you think you may want more information let me know and I will send you the links.

-Matt Cena
                            www.mattcena.com

Comment

• Genetix
                              Bantamweight Member
                              • Feb 2006

Thanks Jeff, the numbers should continue to rise as this is the start of the program. I can't wait.
                              I am already noticing increased poundages as well as vascularity has increased throughout my body. I have been receiving many warnings already from those who do not agree with the philosophy. These have ranged from, naturals shouldn't follow it because they can't recover to training like that will only lead to any injury and nothng more. I have been receiving what I have put in as the bodyweight is now at 218lbs and my recovery has not suffered so I am full speed ahead with the program.
                              Thanks for the support to all those checking in. Take care and train hard!

-Matt Cena
                              www.mattcena.com

Comment

Working...