X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sparky
    Heavyweight Member
    • Aug 2004

Rocky Mtn BB Championships?

What happened at the Rocky? Was it a good show? How was the competition? Was it as deep as last year (unreal last year)?

Romans 1:16-17

:director: for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

100% doing it myself and 100% accountable for what I do. No excuses. -- Sparky

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Judges expect muscle but respect conditioning -- Sparky
  • Ken Skip Hill
    Judge, Jury and Executioner
    Admin
    • Feb 2004

It is laaate so I will wait until Monday to get here about the show.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

• Ken Skip Hill
      Admin
      • Feb 2004

Here is my take:

Pauline is a cutie. That about sums up the Rocky. Okay, just kidding, I guess there was more to the show than Pauline....

Let's see if other agree with me:

The winner of the open mens division was also the winner of the over 40 master division and his conditioning was off the hook. Hard as hell, full as hell and BALANCED conditioning from head to toe, front to back. Now, his legs were thin - he needs more size to balance out size from upper body to lower body and his waist was SLIGHTLY blocky but overall, the guy was DAMNED good. I was impressed. He was a heavyweight.

The middleweight division was probably the best division along with the heavies. The top two were very close. One with SIC wheels and conditioning (from Nebraska, I believe) but a thin chest and color that needed to be better. Posing also needed improvement. Chris Shrank (spelling?) was the most polished guy in the show, I think. All of his loose ends were tied - AWESOME posing, stage presence was flawless, color was good but it was dream tan so could have done with or without it but at least he DID know how to use the dream tan. Shape was great, conditioning was good but he was flat in the lower body and so he could have been tighter and fuller. That is probably my only negative for the guy and make no mistake, his conditioning WAS good - it just could have been better.

The women's bodybuilding was DEEP. The winner had a larger femoral artery than I do and she was in great shape and deserved her win.

Figure provided quite a large field and was deep, as well. I was particularly impressed with the over 40 women - absolutely beautiful. If I ever thought I didn't want to judge figure, I was dead wrong. Now, whether I was good at it is yet to be seen but it was certainly enjoyable.

I have to note that there was a 20 year old girl from Nebraska that will be making a name for herself very soon. Her name is Ali Huston and when she walked out, her back literally fell in the laps of the judges. I was glad I was test judging because I figured that we really weren't gonna know what to do with her. In MY opinion (based on my experience and certainly not as a judge), I thouht she was national level - balanced from head to toe and front to back, conditioned almost too well, hard as nails but she needed to not pose so much because when she did her back looked better than any of the bodybuilding competitors that were on stage and so did her delts and conditioning. She as vascular, as well, and that is a no-no at the state level from what I understand. Nevermind that she was drop dead beautiful, as well. If you hear the name Ali Huston in the future, know that you heard the name here and that we predicted that she would go on to be successful in the sport if she continues to compete.

As for myself, I enjoyed the day sitting on the panel and I THINK I did well but I will have to wait and see. There were a couple calls that I thought "hey, I didn't have that person in the top 5", etc., but I still think I did well for the most part. Let me tell you, though, that EVERY competitor should have the chance to see just how hard it is to judge a show from the judges table. It is a completely different ballgame and gives me a new found respect for the job that the judges do. I have always respected the judges and their decisions but this gave me a completely different perspective.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

• homonunculus
        Super Moderator/Round Table Expert
        Admin
        • Feb 2004

Skip,

Nice report. I have a friend who is an NPC judge and *long* time competitor. She says its absolutely exhausting. Another couple friends judge on occasion and when they do, they're usually not up for doing much after the shows b/c they're so worn out.

BTW, I think you meant saphenous vein not femoral artery wrt that female competitor, unless you were getting *really* frisky with her... LOL

-R
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

• Ken Skip Hill
          Admin
          • Feb 2004

Here is a picture of what I am referring to so tell me if this is not the femoral artery. Apparently, I may be wrong.

Skip
          Attached Files

Comment

• Sammich
            Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
            • Nov 2005

Skip, I wish I had your life.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

• Ken Skip Hill
              Admin
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Skip
              Here is a picture of what I am referring to so tell me if this is not the femoral artery. Apparently, I may be wrong.

Skip
              I am telling you right now that if I, the idiot, end up being right and you, the swollen brain, are wrong I am going to do cart wheels. You know that, right?

Skip

Comment

• Ken Skip Hill
                Admin
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Sammich
                Skip, I wish I had your life.
                I thought you said my "wife". lol I was thinking "bold move, bro".

: )

Skip

Comment

• FatBoy
                  Light-heavyweight Member
                  • Feb 2004

Skip

:eek2:

Comment

• Mr. Banjo
                    Intense Muscle Vet
                    • Jun 2006

Skip
                    :eyebrows:
                    "Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever"
                    "There is surely nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency what should not be done at all"P.Drucker

Comment

• Ken Skip Hill
                      Admin
                      • Feb 2004

Isaac Hinds (LiftStudios.com) was doing the photography and I am SURE he was able to get some badass pictures. I will have to try to hit him up for a few, shortly.

Skip

Comment

• Mr. Banjo
                        Intense Muscle Vet
                        • Jun 2006

It's always interesting to get a look at things from the other side of the fence. Sounds like it was a good experience for you Skip. Hope it works out!

Banjo
                        "Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever"
                        "There is surely nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency what should not be done at all"P.Drucker

Comment

• Ken Skip Hill
                          Admin
                          • Feb 2004

It is definately something I am interested in continuing, for sure.

Skip

Comment

• deadlift0
                            Super-heavyweight Member
                            • Mar 2006

So are u considering this as a side project.

You can use my TrueProtein Discount code:JSG87

yeah, that's where I saw JT... the airport... do try and pay attention, old chap -RedSkull

WOW! If I were a cannibal DC is getting ketchup all over his boobies! -Future

I tell you I want to choke out most of the gym goers I see...- In-Human

Comment

• homonunculus
                              Super Moderator/Round Table Expert
                              Admin
                              • Feb 2004

I am telling you right now that if I, the idiot, end up being right and you, the swollen brain, are wrong I am going to do cart wheels. You know that, right?

Skip
                              I'm torn, Skipper.

On the one hand, I know how much you would enjoy knowing that you called me on something (it would be great fun... You, my friend, are highly entertaining when you're gloating... LOL)

On the other hand, I think you'd like to know the real deal, too...

The femoral artery is the counterpart to the (great) saphenous vein anatomically. The big vein running on the anterior medial thigh is the great saphenous vein.

The femoral artery runs deep to the great saphenous vein (underneath it).

You can see the outline of the greater saphenous vein (like other subcutanous veins sometimes), but you could really only tell how large someone's femoral artery is if you palpate it, which is usually done by pressing around for it up in someone's crotch (e.g., like when getting a femoral pulse).

But hey, maybe you really did mean the femoral artery....(?).. LOL

-R
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Working...