X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crod266
    Lightweight Member
    • Dec 2008

How often do you guys cook

Hey im wondering how often most of you guys cook things like beef, chicken and fish. The reason im asking is because i cook for about 3-4 days in advance because of lack of time I cant cook constantly. THe problem with this is that i cant get my clean food down the hatch anymore. The worst is with the chicken, tastes great the whole first day but by the 3rd day its very dry and i end up eating less because it doesnt taste good and getting less protein. Any help would be great
  • teckno05
    Light-heavyweight Member
    • Apr 2006

Coming from a person who knows nothing about cooking, all i can think of is if you've tried preparing and storing the meats in some kind of marinade or something to that effect. that would probably help with the "toughness". as for taste, id say use some kind of sauce. Same thing happens to me with hamburgers after a few days they're inedible without BBQ sauce

Comment

• Heckman
      • Feb 2004

I only prepare what food I need for that given day up till my 3pm meal. I used to cook up a few days in advance, but I have it down to where it only takes me about about 30-40 minutes to prepare the days food...The only thing I cook later on is dinner..plus my schedule allows alot of flexibilty on how I do things.
      Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

• darkguitars2000
        Light-heavyweight Member
        • Dec 2008

I've found what works best is using one meat source for the week, and cooking all of it at one time (or at least the first few days worth), and putting it in one big container (or different ones if I season in differently) and then just scoop some out to go with the carbs I make that day.
        TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

• darkguitars2000
          Light-heavyweight Member
          • Dec 2008

Have you tried shredding your chicken up? (I'd do this with my fingers) but shred it up like people do when they make pork bbq, and then put some sauce on it. (Walden Farms makes calorie free stuff, I think).
          TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

• steel1970
            Intense Muscle Competitor
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Heckman
            I only prepare what food I need for that given day up till my 3pm meal. I used to cook up a few days in advance, but I have it down to where it only takes me about about 30-40 minutes to prepare the days food...The only thing I cook later on is dinner..plus my schedule allows alot of flexibilty on how I do things.
            This is a better way if you have the time....I usually cook my meals about half an hour prior to needing to eat, granted that I am home. These days it seems as if all I have is time, so I like doing it this way. Everything is fresh, and I don't have to worry about dry as chicken....lol. If I know I am not gonna be home much, I cook a few meals (the same thing for all) and throw them in containers for each meal....
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

• crod266
              Lightweight Member
              • Dec 2008

thanks guys all good ideas, its getting to the point where ill put 10oz chicken in a bowl and eat like 6 before i wana puke. Now heckman i wanted to ask, how do you condense time so much. It takes me so long plus my chicken takes about an hour in the oven

Comment

• steel1970
                Intense Muscle Competitor
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by crod266
                thanks guys all good ideas, its getting to the point where ill put 10oz chicken in a bowl and eat like 6 before i wana puke. Now heckman i wanted to ask, how do you condense time so much. It takes me so long plus my chicken takes about an hour in the oven
                Try cutting the chicken up in small pieces and cooking it in a fry pan with some Pam or olive/canola oil....I throw some veggies on top and cover when the chicken is almost done...this tastes good and then I can add some rice for my carbs....
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

• Heckman
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by crod266
                  I get up at 2:30am,hit the gym at 3:15..after workout and shooting the shit, I'm home at 4:45-5:00am, done cooking by 5:30 -5:45..
                  I cook my chicken cubed in a pan on the stove, little butter spray, garlic salt, cook for a few minutes, turn and bingo...in the container, and the next batch goes on the fire...it only take about 4 minutes per side to cook..while thats cooking I microwave my brocolli..I even cook my wifes food in the same time period.
                  Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

• phoenix13
                    OG Mod of all Mods
                    • Mar 2007

During the work week, I cook 2 days worth of meat at a time WHILE I am cooking breakfast which I make fresh each morning upon rising while my coffee is brewing. I'm already in the kitchen at the stove, so it doesn't take that much more time. This way I only have to make the extra meals every other day. On Sundays you can prep Monday's food (and maybe Tuesday also if that keeps it fresh enough for your liking), then you only have to do the EOD a.m. cooking 2 times a week.
                    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

• BryanB
                      Light-heavyweight Member
                      • Jan 2010

I usually buy the big family packs of chicken breasts from Sams Club. Each pack is 6-7lbs and lasts me 3-4 days for my at work meals. Evening meals are usually some sort of fish or shakes
                      Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

• gbirch
                        • May 2009

I cook 3-4 days in advance as well because of time as well. For the chicken I cube it after I cook it and store in the with whatever rice I'm having with it. The moisture from the rice keeps it from drying out, but it does still taste a bit rubbery, especially if you nuke it for too long.

For dinners (beef) I usually cook up a big stew pot full of whatever I'm eating and freeze it in a separate container by the pound as well. Beef isn't too bad to cook up at night when I have time, but while I'm microwaving that up, I'm usually cooking up whatever the wife and kids are having.

Comment

• steve302
                          Bantamweight Member
                          • Jul 2007

I cook, portion, then freeze about 3 weeks worth of lean meats. Usually a variey of chicken, lean ground beef, and topround steak. (about 30-35 lbs total raw)

Then I just add carbs and fats as needed.

Comment

• Jared Ragsdale
                            TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer
                            • Apr 2006

God do I hate left overs.. When I'm dieting - and hungry - anything tastes good.. But when I'm trying to eat healthy when I could be eating some pizza hut or mcdonalds, then I have to have food that tastes good.

I make everything that I'll eat at work when I get up in the morning. Usually I just have 2 lbs of hamburgers and I make them into 8 patties. That gives me 50g of protein per 2 patties and 4 total meals. Add 3 shakes to that and I've got a full day's worth of food..

I takes me less than 5 mins to prep and about 20 mins to cook. Throw all 8 burgers on the grill or griddle if it's cold outside - and they're done in about 20 mins after flipping.
                            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                            www.316fit.com
                            Email: [email protected]

Comment

• zalex999
                              Lightweight Member
                              • Oct 2010

For chicken, a tip:

On Sunday evenings ill take two big pans and layer in a bunch of chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise (to make them thinner) then chop up an onion, and a bunch of garlic cloves.

On this side, mix up Dijon mustard, black pepper, and some water, put all this in the pan with the chicken and let it bake.

Once its done, transfer the mix to a couple big Tupperware, juices and all, then in the morning weigh your portions of protein per meal into individual containers, add either cauliflower or potatoes/rice (depending if its a p+c or p+f+veggies meal) to the mixture to let em soak up some juice.

Moist chicken, that a chimpanzee could make and tastes stupid good!

*Edit* Fade before you say anything, i know this is about 10000% too much work for you hehe

Comment

Working...