Q and A with John Meadows (MountainDog1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha_omega
    • Dec 2012

Hey John,

I'm still a little hung up on the preworkout carb/fat ratio. I recently listened to your bio-jacked podcast with Kiefer and I tried the whole oatmeal with peanut butter thing and I even added a little coconut oil for some quick(er) acting fat. I felt like i was struggling with the whole hypo/hyperglycemia thing and I was sweating a ton after my first set and more or less felt like shit. I usually go carbless until I start my training and then eat some high glycemic carbs (like some fat free candy or something) and then slam some protein after. I know my whole pre/intro/post workout nutrition is way off.. but I'm kind of a broke ass right now so i'm trying to slowly piece some bits of this together.

thanks for your help

Comment

• blastandcruise
      Bantamweight Member
      • Jul 2010

John, awesome of you to take the time to answer all of these questions. Not sure if you still are or not but if so here are two I've been wondering about:

1. With the gda from tp the article on your page seems to state that these agents prime the body to be ready to manage these carbs. Would it be beneficial then to take your dose a bit before the meal as opposed to with the meal so that the machinery is already at work when the carbs arrive?

2. After years of rough stupid dieting with basically no carbs my metabolism is shot. I got to the point where I had to do extensive cardio just to maintain my bodyweight. I'm in te process of attempting to recharge my metabolism. Are there any supplements that would help with this? If I understand it correctly the respiratory exchange ratio is the point where your body changes from utilizing fats as an energy source to carbs. The higher heart rate that this happens at the better my body is at utilizing and burning fats. Is there anything training wise or supplement wise that can assist in this RER change?

Thanks

Comment

• tacoman
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mountaindog1
        Yep, as long as your recovery is in order. I trained 7 days a week this year precontest and made the best gains of my life....have many others doing 6 and 7 day routines too doing well..

JM
        So in your case what did your split look like?

Comment

• pr1971
          • Feb 2013

Hey John great to have such a great resource on here. I have a question. I had a metal implant placed in my left shoulder 3 yrs ago and I can train pretty well now. I used to have a 455 flat bench at 215 no shirt I know this will never happen again.More important to look like I can do that at 41 with my injuries than to actually do it I guess. I just read all 11 pgs of this thread and think your chest training ideas will help me alot. I learned that inclining over 30 degrees hurts the shoulder so I stay there,only will machine flat bench now and declines are painless for me. My question is what color mini bands are used for declines and do they work well with inclines too. Thank you sir!

Comment

• Cronos
            • Nov 2012

Hi, Mr. Meadows! First let me say how much I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread! I have become a fan of yours lately, as I really appreciate and respect your much needed, fresh approach to a more healthy bodybuilding nutritional approach. I have always personally struggled and tried to keep a foot in both a bodybuilding oriented diet as well as a diet structured for optimal health, which can be a challenge at times. Having said all of that, let me please ask your advice on a couple things.

I read your response in this thread on daily protein requirements being 1.25g/lb as a good starting point. Is that per LEAN lbm, or just per pound?

What would be your starting point recommendation for carbs in grams for someone who tends to "swell up" fast when raising total daily carbs? I was maintaining very well at a low bodyfat on around 150g/day, then increased that amount to 300g/day in an attempt to gain muscle, and within 1-2 weeks I'd gained 14 pounds! But also looked much fuller/puffier. I would be more than willing to post the before and after carb increase pics.

Your recommendation for overall caloric goals for gaining lean lbm?

Thank you so much in advance, and I just wanted to let you know that I went out yesterday and got some organic free range beef, free range organic butter, and free range organic whole milk!

Comment

Working...