Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex001
    • Nov 2004

Testing Your Max

I've been doing a WSB routine for the past 8 weeks and I'm ready to test my max on my lifts. I don't know how to warmup for a max set though. How does everyone else progress with weights?

My best deadlift is 405lbs. Do you hit 405lbs then try a bit more weight? Can anyone give me some pointers on how to set this up?
  • buffness

This is the way I'd do it. Lets say your going for 410lbs

135x8
    225x5
    315x3
    355x1
    375x1
    this is where it gets tricky, if you feel your ready to go(I usually do), I'll go for the PR here, but if you feel like you need some more add another set
    395x1
    Go for PR

It varies, but thats the typical way I do it. To many sets with to many reps will wear me out..

Comment

• Alex001
      • Nov 2004

Thanks,

I know its going to vary but I feel like a 5lb PR after 8 weeks of training is nothing.

I've read that you should aim for a 5% increase so I should try 425lb.

This is the first time I've done a PL routine so I don't know what to expect, but are you guys happy with 5lb PR?

Comment

• =S1K
        Bantamweight Member
        • Jun 2005

425 is a good number to shoot for...but they say to pick a weight that you know you can hit...Hit the 405 and then depending on how it feels, try a 10 to 20 pound jump....

135x5
        225x3
        275x3
        315x3
        365x1
        385x1
        405x1
        425x1

that should give you sufficient warm-up without wearing you out and enough sets for a lil volume as well.
        - Press On !

Comment

• buffness

depending on how long you've been training, 5lbs would be good. The more advanced you get, the harder it is to jump up in weight that quick. I'd be happy with the 5lbs. The point is to put up more weight then previously, but if the set felt good, there is nothing that says you can't go another set with more weight.

Comment

• buffness

Originally posted by =S1K
            .but they say to pick a weight that you know you can hit.
            that about summed up my last post lol

Comment

• Alex001
              • Nov 2004

Thanks for the replies,

=S1K I like the way your weight progression is setup I'll try that.

Comment

• BWS
                • Sep 2005

I did the exact same thing on my first run with WSB and hit 425. S1K's progression is what I did with the exception that I hit 315 for 1 instead of 3.

As far as PR's go, at your level think about it this way: a 5lb PR is nothing if you miss it you feel worse and if you get it you think "it's only 5lbs". Go for a big PR then if you get it you are stoked and if you miss you almost got it and still feel pretty good.

Good luck bro.

Comment

Working...