X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubinsteinnyc
    Heavyweight Member
    • Sep 2005

the truth about stretching...

...I am getting certified as a personal trainer at ECITS organization. One of the guys that is teaching the class is a highly acclaimed personal trainer got certificates from ACSM and others...
    today, he was talking about static stretching... and he stated THAT it is dangerous EVEN in between sets... claims that it only adds to the trauma of the worked muscle, tearing it up... i was stunned and speechless... i told him how it adds to the fullness of the muscle, and helps recovery and all... he was just shaking his head... do not flame me, it's just an opinion of a guy who trains the navy, pro football, basketball, baseball teams... comp. fitness figure women

any comments?
    NEMO, NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT...
  • boondocksmuscle
    Super-heavyweight Member
    • Aug 2006

some ppl just dont believe in it...i didnt at first...but after i actually tried it consistently i really like it...but if someone is uneducated then they might take it to far and injure themselves...but that can happen with anything...just my opinion
    Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Remember, if you can’t pick it, grow it, or kill it, you shouldn’t be eating it.- Justin Harris

Bodybuilding is stressful. The joy is seeing how incredibly the body adapts. The smart thing is to keep the machine as healthy as possible along the way, IMO.- Homon[/FONT]

Comment

• mhschiefs97
      Middleweight Member
      • Jun 2005

He was completely against all stretching? I am not big on stretching a body part until it is already finished being worked out and that works awesome for me. I do agree with him that you are just adding to the trauma by stretching a body part in the middle of working it out. There are exceptions though. That is just my opinion though.
      "If people were 1/10th as worried about the rest of their meals as they were about the post workout shake, there would be a hell of a lot more people looking like bodybuilders. "
      -Trop

Comment

• prolangtum
        Light-heavyweight Member
        • Jun 2005

everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe there is some science to what he has to say......but results are results....and for bodybuilders, weighted fascia stretching has proven to work.

Comment

• Phil1369
          • May 2005

Why have all the osteopaths and chiropractors I've dealt with recommended it ?
          They all warn against stretching a cold muscle.

Comment

• Cerberus
            • Feb 2005

Context, context, context. To completely statisfy a good argument, we need more substance to work with. Generalizations are killers. i.e. stretching a cold muscle. (btw, is actually a good method of stretching if applied correctly)

Comment

• homonunculus
              Super Moderator/Round Table Expert
              Admin
              • Feb 2004

Pretty simple - just provide some scientific references and/or evidence (before and after pictures for instance) for these statements:

"static stretching... and he stated THAT it is dangerous EVEN in between sets..."

"for bodybuilders, weighted fascia stretching has proven to work."

-R
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

• horsepower
                Light-heavyweight Member
                • Jan 2007

Perhaps he was referring to an already injured muscle :noidea: --I can imagine how excessive static stretching could exacerbate a problem.
                My Training Journal/Journey...where I log my attempt to obtain a medical waiver, get fit, get strong, and enter the armed forces.

Comment

• prolangtum
                  Light-heavyweight Member
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by homonunculus

"for bodybuilders, weighted fascia stretching has proven to work."

-R
                  scientifiically proven, no....anedoctally yes. Whenever I train DC style I notice hypertrophy in certain areas where I feel the "stretch" when doing the weighted stretches. Quads, chest, and biceps particularly. I know im not alone in this area.

Comment

• Luci

i can feel the stretch in my chest, lats, bis and quads the most but have big difficulties in stretching other body parts and notice a faster growth in the "better stretched" body parts

Comment

• tadams
                      Middleweight Member
                      • Jul 2006

There are a bunch of studies that have come out recently that have said static stretching a muscle group immediately before weightlifting can increase the risk of injury, i guess he could be referring to one of these. I even saw an article written by Charles Poliquin that said the same thing. The problem with a lot of these studies is that they have conflicting results. Lets not forget about all the studies that talk about protein consumption and how almost every one says high protein diets are useless and you can only take in something like .8g/ lb bodyweight.
                      Best Supplements on the Web: www.Trueprotein.com
                      Discount Code: THA222

"By the end I'm gonna be the only one standing"

Comment

• Sentinel
                        Banned by Skip for being a bitch
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by tadams
                        There are a bunch of studies that have come out recently that have said static stretching a muscle group immediately before weightlifting can increase the risk of injury, i guess he could be referring to one of these. I even saw an article written by Charles Poliquin that said the same thing. The problem with a lot of these studies is that they have conflicting results. Lets not forget about all the studies that talk about protein consumption and how almost every one says high protein diets are useless and you can only take in something like .8g/ lb bodyweight.
                        good points there

Comment

• rubinsteinnyc
                          Heavyweight Member
                          • Sep 2005

actually, i asked HIM and other guy who is there for re-cert. (competitive PL and BBer) and i asked him " do you tell your clients to stretch the bodypart they were workin on after they are done?" he said "NO"...

-homonunculus- ill ask him for the scientific data on which he bases his statement.

Comment

• bhman6
                            Roundtable Expert
                            • Sep 2005

maybe he was referring to stretching heavily BEFORE a workout or game, which has been shown to reduce work output
                            CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
                            MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
                            2010 NGA Pro Universe
                            2010 NPC Monster Mash
                            2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
                            2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
                            2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
                            2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
                            2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
                            2008 NPC Ohio State
                            2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

• rubinsteinnyc
                              Heavyweight Member
                              • Sep 2005

nah, def, not... we were even laughing at people stretching BEFORE having the muscle "warm"...
                              and i specifically stated, in between sets and after

Comment

Working...