Curious,Can you do a reverse tricep press on a bench press machine?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jay
    Overanalyze Everything
    • Mar 2005

Curious,Can you do a reverse tricep press on a bench press machine?

As it says in the title,is this possible.I have a smith machine at my gym,but I am curious at to rather or not this is a good exercise option(reverse press on a machine)

The only thing bad about "most" bench press machines is that they move in an upward fashion,rather than a straight fashion like a smith would.But still it seems like if you can do a bench press on these,than a reverse press would be possible.

Any opinions?
  • Egill
    DC Q & A Member
    • Aug 2004

firstly I would think that the handles would need to be in a straight line (like smythe), many of those bench press machines have angled handles. and also it would probably not work unless the handles are in a fixed position (like smythe), i.e. do not move invards during the pushing like many bench press machines do. also I think it would work better if the angle of the machine is somewhere close to flat as opposed to incline. and if the bench press machine moves in a upward fashion (most bp machines do) then it might not feel as good as if it moves in a straight line.

so IMO it depends on the machine whether you can do rev grip bench on a machine or not,... if it works well on some machine for you then I see no reason not to do it,.. just try it out and see how it feels.
    each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
    for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
      Intense Muscle Vet/ISOM winner November 2011
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Jay
      As it says in the title,is this possible.I have a smith machine at my gym,but I am curious at to rather or not this is a good exercise option(reverse press on a machine)

The only thing bad about "most" bench press machines is that they move in an upward fashion,rather than a straight fashion like a smith would.But still it seems like if you can do a bench press on these,than a reverse press would be possible.

Any opinions?
      MAchines vary. Try it and see.
      International Elite Raw Powerlifter
      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

• youi09
        Lightweight Member
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Future
        MAchines vary. Try it and see.
        exactly, there is such an easy answer to 99% of the questions asked on this board.

try it, if u like it, use it! push or pull rest eat sleep get stronger, who cares if ur throwing babies with 10lb ankle straps across a hill, beat the pr next time ...(joking of course)..

its really that simple.

Comment

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
          Intense Muscle Vet/ISOM winner November 2011
          • May 2004

That's what I do...try that is.
          International Elite Raw Powerlifter
          Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

• hyp3r3xt3nsion
            Bantamweight Member
            • Sep 2004

but......why? just do it in the powerrack and start from out of the hole to build even more explosive power as you train it.

Comment

• In-Human
              IM Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004

I agree with Future, give it a go and see what happens, you can do RGBP on Flat Bench, DB, Inclines, Cage, Smythe hell just about anything, I even have done them on Hammer chest machines...
              "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

• Jay
                Overanalyze Everything
                • Mar 2005

I will definantly give it a try.Just wanted to make sure it did not warrant a title of ineffective or dangerous.

And to Hyp.,I wish I had a power rack at my gym,but I do not.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

• stormshadow
                  Bantamweight Member
                  • Feb 2004

I use a seated bench press machine for reverse tricep press. I do one arm at a time.

Comment

Working...