View Full Version : HOW TO CURE SHOULDER PROBLEMS (Trust me this will do it 90% of the time)

Pages : [1] 2

Doggcrapp
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
With a large towel or broomstick I want you to hold it with straight arms for the entire time of what i describe in the following movement--a large "rolled up like a rope" beach towel works good but honestly a longer broomstick (without the bristles) works best in my opinion. Start out with it with a really wide grip (with straight arms) in front of you (on your quads) and with straight arms bring it up and overhead and then down and back to the middle of your back--STRAIGHT ARMS ALL THE WAY--this is going to be very difficult and hard the first couple times out and then will be "old hat" with time----and its going to be painful in a stretching pump kind of way---i want 50 reps each time you do this--one repetition is from in front of your face (all with straight arms) to up overhead and back, and then down all the way to the middle of your back and then back up overhead to in front of your face again (again all with straight arms)--the important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight--do all of this carefully/slowly---dont just whip it over and back---if your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you cant bring your arms over straight and the start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you could just need a longer broomstick too)--again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully--push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back--your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painfull pumpwise--Do this once a day at nite as many times a week as you can---sometimes I have people do it every single day---but every time you do it try to move your grip inward (thats the key)----its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks--also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions--start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up some, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter--really try to push what you can do stretchwise once your warmed up here--trust me this sounds easy but your going to be muttering "fuck you dante" after you get to your 25th revolution--Ive cured too many shoulder problems with this simple movement now its pretty ridiculous, and this and a menthol rub applied liberally daily and before sleep has cured alot of shoulder/bicepital tendonitis in trainees ---Heres a pic attached to this post so you can get an idea (thanks to a trainee of mine who cured his shoulders with this)--but remember the broomstick goes overhead and all the way back to the middle of the back (he just drew the start of the movement when you begin)

Tyson23
01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks DC for this i have a nagging right shoulder that isnt as bad as some of the guys have on this board but it does act up here and there. The question i have is if your doing this wont you be one sore mofo the next day to train shoulders if it happens to be a upperbody day the next day? Just curious to how it affects training cucz i can imagine 50repps like that really hurting especially if you have a bad shoulder.

BenGrowing
01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Another priceless post DC. I definitely better start up some of these, as I've got some pretty inflexible shoulders. Thanks a ton, bro.

kwyckemynd00
01-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks DC, but I don't understand what you mean when you say "all the way back to the hams." The way I'm reading it, you want us to have a near 360degree motion with shoulders and the whole time with arms being the same distance apart on the broom? LOL. If so, this will take a LOOOOONG time for me :D

Any advice on knees? :p

Doggcrapp
01-22-2005, 08:57 PM
arms straight the whole way--and if you cant keep arms straight you have to widen the grip and/or get a longer broomstick (dont be gripping the broomstick with tights fists--let it roll thru your fingers if it has to as you go up and back)--i only hold onto it with my middle and pointer fingers and thumb

KidRok
01-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I am the king of shoulder inflexability! All I can say is ouch! :eek:

Doggcrapp
01-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Thanks DC for this i have a nagging right shoulder that isnt as bad as some of the guys have on this board but it does act up here and there. The question i have is if your doing this wont you be one sore mofo the next day to train shoulders if it happens to be a upperbody day the next day? Just curious to how it affects training cucz i can imagine 50repps like that really hurting especially if you have a bad shoulder.

Id plan ahead tyson and do it around working shoulders--id skip the day before maybe and skip the day after but do it after working shoulders (while still warmed up--maybe when you got home from gym) and then on all the other days

LOL to benj and usmuscle (im increasing usmuscles to 50000 revolutions)

In-Human
01-23-2005, 11:28 AM
I have been doing this for almost 5 months now and when I started I could not reach all the way back to hit my Hams, I have to use a large exercise rubber band for width reasons and now I have no problem with going heavy on chest and shoulder presses again, I help others with lots of shoulder and back related injuries and this one exercise along with a few others for shoulders have fixed almost everyones problems so far to date...

Doggcrapp
01-23-2005, 01:08 PM
guys im really sorry, im on such low carbs come saturdays my brain seriously is shot lately and im making dumb mistakes, I had to edit my post above. If you use a beach towel or something similiar when you get overhead and down it will sag near your butt/ hamstrings ........but with a broomstick it wont go near that-it will go to the middle of your back and then back up again---really really sorry bout that---reread it now it should be clear-----with a broomstick the revolution should be about a half circle ---see the picture up above---that position exactly should be where you start your revolution once your warmed up with a broomstick and it should go overhead and down/back to a point halfway down that guys back, then back to start---is that clearer?

In-Human
01-23-2005, 01:49 PM
I always wanted to tell you that you cannot turn your wrist in order to get the broomstick handle behind you, but I figured you must have triple jointed wrists or something, so I never said a word, but you can blame it on low carbs if you wish...

Syn
01-23-2005, 02:01 PM
guys im really sorry, im on such low carbs come saturdays my brain seriously is shot lately and im making dumb mistakes, I had to edit my post above. If you use a beach towel or something similiar when you get overhead and down it will sag near your butt/ hamstrings ........but with a broomstick it wont go near that-it will go to the middle of your back and then back up again---really really sorry bout that---reread it now it should be clear-----with a broomstick the revolution should be about a half circle ---see the picture up above---that position exactly should be where you start your revolution once your warmed up with a broomstick and it should go overhead and down/back to a point halfway down that guys back, then back to start---is that clearer?

I wondered what the hell you were writing. I'm very flexible (just ask KR :p ) but to the hamstrings? No way without bending backwards! lol

nemo
01-23-2005, 03:16 PM
i have always had trouble with my joints so this really interests me but i am not sure if i am following you 100% on how to do it. is this how far back you want (see drawing) or lower?

Doggcrapp
01-23-2005, 03:28 PM
thats about right--if its a broomstick---youll know once you get past the really tight position overhead

PTAaron
01-25-2005, 09:52 PM
I have a book called Autostretching that we use a lot for patients, and it has a great picture of this stretch in it - I put it on my desk to bring home so I could scan and post it for everyone, but I forgot it... I'll try to remember it for tomorrow night!

frankyforearms
01-26-2005, 08:45 AM
I can do the exercise fine, however my left shoulder keeps clicking once I get past overhead and down my back. I had a partical tear in my rotator cuff 17 months ago but no pain now. Should I keep doing the exercise if there's no pain and will the clicking go away?

PTAaron
01-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Probably not a good thing to do with a partial tear of a rotator cuff muscle. The clicking probably won't go away - but if it doesn't hurt, don't be overly concerned with it. It could be anything from a tendon snapping over another structure to a labrum tear that your humeral head is rolling over - but if it doesn't cause pain it probably isn't a problem.

frankyforearms
01-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks PTAAron. I tore it in september of 2003. I was out for 6 months and I'm slowly working my way back into lifting heavy again. It hasn't caused any pain over the last six months. But when doing that exercise it kept clicking.
Thanks again.

RollinsClone
01-27-2005, 03:03 AM
is there any disadvantage to using a flex band, I've been using a light flex band and it hit my shoulder really well, right where the problem spot is, but whenever I get to the point overhead where it gets really tight my arms stretch the band just enough so I can go over. Compared to using a broom or towel (which wouldn't flex) is this a good option?

* I wonder why I keep being called analytical?* lol

Shawn "Future" Bellon
03-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Awesome Thread!!!

maxmuscle245
03-06-2005, 12:13 AM
gonna give this a go. I have had shoulder pain for many years. wrestling is hard on the body.

sniffy54
03-06-2005, 12:14 AM
i haven't been able to do inclines for the last fours years due to rotator cuff issues.

i've been doing l-flys, and external rotation for the last couple years to fix this, but nothing really helped (i also went to PT).

i did this stretch for seven days straight.

now i can do inclines, no problem. seven freakin days.

it works.

"sniffy54approved"

Doggcrapp
03-06-2005, 02:01 AM
Just a sidenote--I was contacted by the AMA and the NEJM on the shoulder dislocate stretch to become accredited and to recieve their stamp of approval. I told them "Screw off I already have been sniffy54approved" which in my opinion is the bodybuilding version of getting the Nobel prize

PTAaron
03-06-2005, 02:46 AM
:lol:

Egill
03-06-2005, 08:19 PM
this is an awesome post, shouldn't it be a sticky?

eqblues
03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks DC, but I don't understand what you mean when you say "all the way back to the hams." The way I'm reading it, you want us to have a near 360degree motion with shoulders and the whole time with arms being the same distance apart on the broom?

Bump on that.

I really dont understand the part where youre supposed to bring the broomstick all the way to "the middle of your back". How are we to do this with straight arms. Kwyckemynd00, Im with you on this.

Am I just too thick in the head to get this? LoL.

Easto
03-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to throw in my experience.

2 years ago, I was being towed behind a boat tubing. I never fell off or anything, but when I got back on the boat my shoulder started to stuffen up on me. later that night that the pain was so bad, I couldn't even change myself. My arm was basically stuck to my side and if I moved it even a fraction of an inch I would hunch over in pain.

For the next week I basically lived on pain killers, but still the pain was so bad that I was I sweating all day trying to deal with the pain.

By the time I got back to the gym, I went from doing 120lb DB inclines, to not even being able to move 20lb DBs due to the pain. I was out of the gym for a good 6 months losing a lot of what I worked so hard for.

I spent hours at the doctors, Ultrasound, X-ray, and MRI which didn't show any significant damage. There was something wrong in there, but the surgeon didn't see anything he could go in there and fix.

My shoulder has been getting slightly better over time, but I have never been able to to extend my arms straight out the the side, bend my elbow 90 degrees, then rotate my arm. External rotation was out of the question, my should would clink, then lock on me.

After some time I read this thread by DC and I thought..... yah it may help, but I doubt it will do much in my case.

The frist time I tried it I did about 15 "reps". The second time I tried it I did about 10 "reps" and the last time 20. I wasn't too serious, but I wanted to try it out.

About one week later I was totally pain free.. SERIOUSLY. I had a nagging shoulder in jury that was bugging me for years and this is all it took. For the first time since that on day in July I have zero pain and zero discomfort.

Well, there is my 2 cents. This exercise gets a thumbs up from me :D

Sparky
03-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Wow... my right shoulder has been bugging me and I tried this. I already feel a little better.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

bigcity
03-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Yeah i do this and get my shoulders worked on every so offten from a massage therapist and already feel so much better. This stretch is real painfull but becoming alot more toralable

goliath23
03-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Ok I tried this earlier today, I'm pretty sure i did this the right way. the only weird part is that i hear people saying that they couldnt do more than 10 or 15 to start off with. I got over 70 this morning. i tried bringing my hands closer together but as i got to a certain point it just wouldnt go, so i went as narrow as i possibly could so i could actualy get past the top part off the movement. am i just weird because i could have kept going, my shoulders got a little burn but nothing i couldnt handle and I felt it in my shoulder blades. should I just keep going and continue to keep trying to narrow my grip?

jimpaul
03-28-2005, 05:04 AM
Ok I tried this earlier today, I'm pretty sure i did this the right way. the only weird part is that i hear people saying that they couldnt do more than 10 or 15 to start off with. I got over 70 this morning. i tried bringing my hands closer together but as i got to a certain point it just wouldnt go, so i went as narrow as i possibly could so i could actualy get past the top part off the movement. am i just weird because i could have kept going, my shoulders got a little burn but nothing i couldnt handle and I felt it in my shoulder blades. should I just keep going and continue to keep trying to narrow my grip?

I would say to keep it wide as Dante suggested and not narrow the grip. If you got 70 then 100 sounds feasible (sp?).

chunky34
03-28-2005, 08:48 PM
When I do this, I hear a pop about every rep. Is this normal ?

jimpaul
03-28-2005, 09:08 PM
When I do this, I hear a pop about every rep. Is this normal ?

I'm wondering if you have ever had any previous shoulder issues because I'm wondering if it could be due to you either having some sort of rotator cuff issues or instability issues?

Hopefully someone who knows more can kick in!

jim

Moen
03-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Yes to jimpaul and chunky :)
I have both rotator and instability issues on both shoulders and they pop at every overhead rotation (at the moment I go overhead with this stretch) for the first 20-30 reps, after that my shoulders seem somewhat oiled and it stops popping.

Doggcrapp
04-15-2005, 12:12 AM
menthol rub=blood flow to area tissues=repair

Isolate-X
04-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the quick response and I have one more question. The more menthol the better? Flexall 454 Maximum Strength = 16%, while other products have =<10% (ie. Bengay/Icy Hot). Thanks.

Doggcrapp
04-15-2005, 12:55 AM
personal choice on that isolate--i like the 16%---I had tennis elbow going on 8 months and it got to the point I was having trouble pouring a pitcher of water---after finally putting on the rub on the elbow at nite to increase blood flow in the area it healed

Joel H
04-21-2005, 02:17 PM
About 6 or 7 weeks ago I hurt my shoulder, in bed pulling the covers up I think, while half drowsy or asleep, I probably pulled so hard and they were stuck under body weight I woke up with a horriblly sore shoulder! I didn't even train that day either, so it wasn't my training. I'm finally back to bench pressing, but the last workout on my third set I felt pain shoot through my shoulder. Luckily it subsided and I'm fine now, but my shoulder has still never completely recovered. I'll be performing this exercise and let you all know how it goes. I did about 12 just for kicks using my dog leash, the broom wasn't long enough. Felt pretty damn good, but I'm benching later so I didn't want to do too many. I'll try and get my 50 in tonight.

awds
04-25-2005, 01:53 AM
just woundering can impingement cause clicking in the shoulder, when using the pec deck, or machine flies. Or clicking when rowing the shoulders, like how someone would row their shoulders back in shrugs.

Because i have a bad left shoulder, injured it play wrestling with my brother when i was little. but didnt go see a doctor till a couple of years later. I've had mri's/x-ray done, and the only thing the doctors saw was some tendonitis, and some liquid near the acromion i think. i've had over 1yr of pt for rotator cuff/shoulder/back. and i still have this problem. the only thing left is sugrery to see if its a impingement. But thats a last resort, and you guys on here are knowledgeble, so what do you guys think i should do in my situation ?

PTAaron
04-25-2005, 02:08 AM
Impingement itself isn't something that will make things click - all that means is that something is being pinched - generally one of your rotator cuff tendons or the long head of the biceps tendon.
Clicking could be any number of things: could be a tendon rolling over bone, could be rough joint surfaces rolling over each other, could be a labrum tear that clicks when your humerus rolls over it, could be a loose body in the joint. Basic rule with joint noises is this: If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't matter. If it is painful - I would go ahead and get the opinion of another doctor, and possibly another MRI. A tear of a labrum won't always show up on an MRI because of the positioning of the shoulder, and the resolution of the scans. I had a fairly large labrum tear in my shoulder that looked like a very minor one until they went in to repair it and found a large chunk of cartilage from theback of the shoulder was actually flipped around almost to the front... and yes, my shoulder clicked a lot - but it also hurt like hell when it clicked.

PTAaron
04-25-2005, 02:10 AM
I should also add that the movements you are describing as causing the clicking make it sound like maybe it is your AC joint that is the issue - but I guess we'd need to know where you feel the clicking is coming from (inside the joint, top of the joint, front, back, etc)

awds
04-25-2005, 05:19 AM
its really hard to tell where the noise is coming from. But usually the clicking happens alot after chest\back day from throwing movements. But after i've recovered it wont click as easily. But the feeling of dislocation is still there, like the nerves on the left side of my shoulder is shifted, and it always feel alot stiffer(inflammed kind of feeling) then my right shoulder. But it doesnt hurt.

And is it possible for a shoulder to be partially dislocated ? and not come up in a mri/x-ray, cause when i do like lat spreads, i can spread out my left shoulder more, and my left cavicle bone seems lower then my right one.

PTAaron
04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
its really hard to tell where the noise is coming from. But usually the clicking happens alot after chest\back day from throwing movements. But after i've recovered it wont click as easily. But the feeling of dislocation is still there, like the nerves on the left side of my shoulder is shifted, and it always feel alot stiffer(inflammed kind of feeling) then my right shoulder. But it doesnt hurt.

Nerves don't shift...
You didn't mention dislocation before - was that your previous injury? If it was it is likely you have a labrum tear that wasn't diagnosed previously. Labrum is the ring of cartilage that surrounds the shallow hole that the humerus sits in. When you dislocate you are basically forcing a bone to get ripped across that ring and that usually damages things.

And is it possible for a shoulder to be partially dislocated ? and not come up in a mri/x-ray, cause when i do like lat spreads, i can spread out my left shoulder more, and my left cavicle bone seems lower then my right one.

A dislocation will not show up unless it is dislocated at the time the test is performed. It is unlikely you would be able to function normally and lift weights if your shoulder was chronically dislocated.

I would go to a good sports medicine physician and get evaluated. Things may have changed since last time you were checked out.

awds
04-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Nerves don't shift...
You didn't mention dislocation before - was that your previous injury? If it was it is likely you have a labrum tear that wasn't diagnosed previously. Labrum is the ring of cartilage that surrounds the shallow hole that the humerus sits in. When you dislocate you are basically forcing a bone to get ripped across that ring and that usually damages things.

A dislocation will not show up unless it is dislocated at the time the test is performed. It is unlikely you would be able to function normally and lift weights if your shoulder was chronically dislocated.

I would go to a good sports medicine physician and get evaluated. Things may have changed since last time you were checked out.

The injury happened when i was around 10(16 now), i wasn't able to move my arm, but after awhile i was able to move it, but thats when the feeling of dislocation started, i didn't tell my mom cause i was afraid. So fast forward 3 yrs i was doing push ups in school, and i felt something like a dislocation, and my arm would hurt everytime i try to lift it up, i was able to move it again the next day. And thats when i went to the doctor, i had a x-ray done, then a couple months of pt for rotator cuff. Afterwards discomfort was still there so i was referred to a bone specialist i think, i had a mri, and another x-ray done. And he recommended some more pt, but for back\shoulder also. He said some rotator cuff injuries can take up to years to heal. I finished about 9 weeks of pt, and now i'm on my own working out, and i've noticed my shoulders gotten alot stronger, and clicking doesnt happen as often. But i want to get some opinions on, if i'm wasting my time or not on strengthening my shoulder or should i just go get sugrery.

And for the sports medicine physician, do you know any sites i can look one up in my area ? or should i just ask my regular doctor about it.

Alex001
05-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Question.

If someone doesn't have any shoulder problems like me, is this the only exercise I need to do to keep my shoulders healthly? Would I need any other rotator cuff exercises?

I did this yesterday for 30 reps and my shoulders are sore like I just finished doing flat bench presses, is that normal first time trying this?

Shawn "Future" Bellon
06-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Every day

legz
06-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Another success story by listening to Dante...After 3 weeks of these shoulder stretches I can do whatever I want in the gym, shoulder pain free. I (until now) havent been able to do DB presses of any shape or form for over two yrs...
Thanks for the PT clinic Dante!!

REVOLYSSUP
06-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi
My first post.

I have been browsing for a little while now and found some very interesting views on bodybuilding here.

I was referred to the site by someone off bb.com for help with my shoulder injury a couple of weeks ago but I got distracted finding out about the 'DC method'....

Anyway, my injury is a new one and about 2 weeks old. I tried the shoulder exercises but it hurt more so I stopped. My shoulder is most painful when I lift it up at the side and then back. Other than this it gives me twinges here and there (difficult to pinpoint). Just raising to the side doesn't hurt too much, only when pushing back.

Anyway, I had previously been applying 'Deep Heat' and taking Ibuprofen for two weeks. But read elsewhere on this site (on a post by 'Future' I believe) that ice would help. I tried that today and the pain subsided a little.

My question is: What should I do next? Should I continue with ice and rest? How long? My doctor is just going to prescribe more Ibuprofen and he doesn't seem to interested in sports injuries.

Cheers.

Shawn "Future" Bellon
06-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Get another doctor. :) Ibuprofen is ok but really isnt so good long term. I just use In-Human's common sense advice:

HEAT before training. ICE directly after training.

REVOLYSSUP
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Get another doctor. :) Ibuprofen is ok but really isnt so good long term. I just use In-Human's common sense advice:

Is that a way to cure the problem or just to make it tolerable?

Cheers.

Edit: I mean the heat and ice part.

Shawn "Future" Bellon
06-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Well, PTAaron can speak better on this but it CAN help heal the tissue. But yes it also helps the tolerability aspect of training.

RevolutionIsMyN
07-15-2005, 01:26 PM
menthol rub=blood flow to area tissues=repair

Bro, not to diss you or anything but I think its been established fairly clearly that all these medicinal rubs to is trick your nervous system into ignoring the pain/discomfort from the actual source. The oldest trick in the book - the mind just goes "hey, look, now this new sensation feels cool, lets emphasise it" and BOOM, it just forgets about the muscle pain. Nothing "penetrates" the muscle.

Doggcrapp
07-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Bro, not to diss you or anything but I think its been established fairly clearly that all these medicinal rubs to is trick your nervous system into ignoring the pain/discomfort from the actual source. The oldest trick in the book - the mind just goes "hey, look, now this new sensation feels cool, lets emphasise it" and BOOM, it just forgets about the muscle pain. Nothing "penetrates" the muscle.

Really?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1994967&query_hl=10

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=6724430&query_hl=10

"CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Application of MEN analgesic balm to the skin over contracting muscles significantly decreased the pressor response to static muscle contractions. This suggests that topical application of MEN has effects on responses evoked from receptors located in muscles."

prolangtum
07-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Ive been doing these for two days, as I have seemingly tweaked my rotator cuff. I thought initially it was some rear delt soreness, but after attempting my shoulder exercise, and not only having to drop an exercise for the first time, but also not being able to lift my arm directly overhead after, Im guessing it is a RC issue. My ROM is back to normal, but Ill be damned if I dont have some killer soreness. Not like the injury, but DOMS, in that rear delt/shoulder joint area, on both sides now. Is this normal?

Just a note, if this post was confusing, I started the exercise because of injuring my RC. I havent been doing it and than got injured. I think the culprit was DB pullovers, but it was not acute, I felt the pain the next day.

rockdaddy
08-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Really?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1994967&query_hl=10

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=6724430&query_hl=10

"CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Application of MEN analgesic balm to the skin over contracting muscles significantly decreased the pressor response to static muscle contractions. This suggests that topical application of MEN has effects on responses evoked from receptors located in muscles."

thats a big yes on those studies in my book...i know that rub-on creams such as sportscreme really helps my aching shoulders and knees, for warm up AND after workout soreness.

TallMan
08-05-2005, 09:15 AM
hi, I'm new here, someone gave me the link to this thread.

I posted this on dutchbodybuilding.com and people are very sceptic about this exercise
saying it would fuck up your shoulder even more.

I've had an shoulder operation 4 months ago and started training again a month ago,
but I've added weight to fast and since 3 weeks my shoulder hurts again.

If I wanna do this exercise, shouldn't I at least wait till the pain is gone or should
I just start out with it ?

Doggcrapp
08-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Tell those people on dutchbodybuilding that theres 6 pages of people here, pages of people at bb.com and pages of people at promuscle who could care less about their opinion.

Shawn "Future" Bellon
08-05-2005, 03:46 PM
"Hey everyone, I'm from Holland. Isn't the vierd?" or "There's only two things I can't stand: intolerance and the Dutch."

Worthy quotes from Goldmember. :)

steveo
08-08-2005, 04:58 AM
I started this exercise along with some rotator cuff drills with light dumbells about 8 days ago. I am worried as the shoulder does seem to be getting worse. The popping/crunching noises have increased and the point of pain is beginning to spread from the ac joint along my clavicle. Is there a period that you go through pain before you start to reap the benefits or should I stop this exercise straight away.

Doggcrapp
08-08-2005, 01:23 PM
self explanatory

skullsmaher
08-18-2005, 04:54 AM
unfortunately, this type of movement I see would be something I would do if I was TRYING to dislocate my shoulder. I will try to build up the confidence to do this movement. If you can move your shoulder in this range of motion, I dont see why you would be doing them to increase mobility. It seems like you would need to be mobile to do it in the first place. Am I missing something? I got my hopes up when I saw the thread title.

MilkmaN
08-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Seems like a good exercise, I'll try it out for some time and come back with results. Just wish that you could have splitted the original text into a more readable format.

noginn
08-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Just wanting to say a big thank you Dante (Think thats DoggCrapp's name after reading through a bit? :p) for this. I was pointed here like a few others from BB.com

At current I have some form of shoulder impingement injury (or so it feels). After a few days rest and some mentol rub cream the pain has subsided a little so I thought I would try this exericse.

I think my shoulder flexability is really quite bad, maybe one of the reason I injured myself. Although after just having a go at this, doing only 5 reps to get the hang of it. I swear something has happened to my shoulder.. what little pain there was has almost disapeared.

I'm going to do this every night, or every other night, try to improve flexability and prevent future injuries.

Later on it's time for me to mutter "damn you dante" as I attempt 50 reps ;)

MilkmaN
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
unfortunately, this type of movement I see would be something I would do if I was TRYING to dislocate my shoulder. I will try to build up the confidence to do this movement. If you can move your shoulder in this range of motion, I dont see why you would be doing them to increase mobility. It seems like you would need to be mobile to do it in the first place. Am I missing something? I got my hopes up when I saw the thread title.

That was my first thought too. You'll just have to widen your grip and you wont have to to dislocate your shoulder.

ProtoBuilder
08-24-2005, 01:20 PM
by the way, when is dc gonna come up with a great new fangled exercise for low back pain :notworthy

I've been wondering if back bridges would help by increasing flexibility in the spine . . . as you get more limber, you can bridge w/ your feet closer to your hands until you eventually form a "C" shape I s'pose!

hovz
09-04-2005, 04:56 AM
wow been doin this 4 days and my shoulder feels A LOT better.

can someone who knows their shit explain to me how somethign so simple can improve your shoulder in only 4 days? and its amazing how fast ur flexibility increases, ive already moved my hands in 5 to 6 inches on each side.

IronG
09-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Can anyone here tell me if they have a similiar shoulder problem to what i am about to describe?: -My injured shoulder is my left shoulder. I believe it was injured when i was doing very heavy flat dumbell bench presses last March. I continued to lift b/c it didnt seem like that bad of an injury at the time. After it continued to give me trouble (mainly with bench presses) i completely stopped all upper body lifting around the beginning of May and havent done any upper body lifting since then. I have been to 2 different doctors and they havent been able to tell me what is wrong. Although i have been going to physical therapy my shoulder only feels like it has gotten worse. It clicks and pops a lot more now than it did when i was still lifting. Now to the actual description of the injury: My left shoulder feels like it is always kind of hanging and feels like it is out of place. When i reach my arms straight up in the air i feel a stretching sensation in my left shoulder and then it makes a loud click before the stretching sensation stops. The main thing that causes me pain is when i put my left hand on my stomach and push. This causes pretty intense pain in my left shoulder and you can actually see the shoulder stretching and moving backwards. I cannot do this with my right shoulder and in no way can i feel it stretching like i can feel my left shoulder. Also-when i move my left arm across my body my shoulder makes a loud pop and briefly hurts. It is beyond me why the doctors cant tell me what is wrong. They have given me anti-inflammatories and i have been doing pt for 3 months now and nothing has improved since the beginning of may. I really dont know what to do anymore considering physical therapy isnt really helping at all. I am going to give this new stretching exercise a try b/c it might be my last hope. If anyone can identify with my injury please fill me in. It would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

dirtyveteran
09-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Thanks bros, this is also my first post , was refered here by somboyd from AR.
Thanks this is great info and i will start the exercise tomorrow. i really hgope this helps my R shoulder. Dirt bike accident..!!

~DV~

Awesome bros ive been doing these streatches on a daily basis roughly about 25 a day i use a oiece of PVC pipe most the time cause you can cut it to you desired height and sometimes when i chillin in the spa i use one of those pool noodles there made of foam they work good also..

thanks bros im glad i run into this site and thread my should is getting better everyday..!!

IronG
09-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Can anyone here tell me if they have a similiar shoulder problem to what i am about to describe?: -My injured shoulder is my left shoulder. I believe it was injured when i was doing very heavy flat dumbell bench presses last March. I continued to lift b/c it didnt seem like that bad of an injury at the time. After it continued to give me trouble (mainly with bench presses) i completely stopped all upper body lifting around the beginning of May and havent done any upper body lifting since then. I have been to 2 different doctors and they havent been able to tell me what is wrong. Although i have been going to physical therapy my shoulder only feels like it has gotten worse. It clicks and pops a lot more now than it did when i was still lifting. Now to the actual description of the injury: My left shoulder feels like it is always kind of hanging and feels like it is out of place. When i reach my arms straight up in the air i feel a stretching sensation in my left shoulder and then it makes a loud click before the stretching sensation stops. The main thing that causes me pain is when i put my left hand on my stomach and push. This causes pretty intense pain in my left shoulder and you can actually see the shoulder stretching and moving backwards. I cannot do this with my right shoulder and in no way can i feel it stretching like i can feel my left shoulder. Also-when i move my left arm across my body my shoulder makes a loud pop and briefly hurts. It is beyond me why the doctors cant tell me what is wrong. They have given me anti-inflammatories and i have been doing pt for 3 months now and nothing has improved since the beginning of may. I really dont know what to do anymore considering physical therapy isnt really helping at all. I am going to give this new stretching exercise a try b/c it might be my last hope. If anyone can identify with my injury please fill me in. It would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

-i know that this is a repost but im really desperate here for some help. Anyone?

Hammerwall
09-13-2005, 09:44 PM
I know this post is super old, but I just wanted to say thanks to DC for the great advice on the shoulder. I had a problem with the right one for years, and your trick took one week to cure it. I still cannot believe the pain is gone. Simply amazing

Doggcrapp
09-14-2005, 12:08 AM
glad i could help

ScoobyTek
10-17-2005, 09:42 AM
There's pictures of this stretch here:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000629.html

Hoss827
11-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Bro....I've had 6 shoulder dislocations in my left shoulder, one in my right....I just tried this with a pretty long broomstick and as I rolled back, felt a VERY painful crunching/clicking in my shoulder, like it damn near dislocated.....not to be disrespecting you in any way, but this is probably not for everyone.....

chesb
12-06-2005, 01:11 AM
i've had a sharp pain in my shoulder the last couple of days when doing certain movements. I'm gonna give this a shot. I havn't lifted yet since the injury, should i take a few days off to let it heal, or should I keep lifting?

CoolExec
12-07-2005, 05:18 AM
My physiotherapist has been amazed at the results. He suggested my 'graduating' from the broomstick to a thera-band elastic.

I've tried it and it adds a whole new dimension.

What do you think?

Doggcrapp
12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
I say give it a try and let us know how it goes

Big Lee
12-11-2005, 07:28 PM
I do 5 -10 reps of these exactly as described after my upper body extreme stretches and my shoulders no longer click or grind. - awesome! definately worth the price of admission.

jezze
12-15-2005, 06:03 PM
feels absolutely amazing....shoulder bothers me alot...but after this...feels loosened up and ready to go

JWangSDC
12-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Doggcrapp,

My right shoulder (rotator cuff) has been bothering me slightly during flat bench press. I decided it was time for my week off and i stumbled upon this thread during that week. I've been doing these stretches 3X a week and my shoulder felt much better...that is until i came back from my week off.

The pain in my right shoulder was MUCH WORSE and bordering on unbearable. My left rotator cuff is also bothering me now...any thoughts? It's probably me being ignorant but I'm hoping it's just one of those "gets worse before it gets better" type of things.

Note: I normally use 215 for my first set of BB press, but decided to try 195 since it was after me week off, so I highly doubt it was that I went too heavy.

Egill
12-23-2005, 08:46 AM
ditch the flat bench and use some another chest exercise that is better for your shoulders, flat bench is usually much more likely to destroy your rotator cuffs than other chest exercises and has also caused many pec tears, there are many great chest exercises that are generally much safer.

JWangSDC
12-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Are you referring to inlcine BB press/Decline BB press/Incline DB's/Decline DBs? Or some other excercises?

ditch the flat bench and use some another chest exercise that is better for your shoulders, flat bench is usually much more likely to destroy your rotator cuffs than other chest exercises and has also caused many pec tears, there are many great chest exercises that are generally much safer.

Egill
12-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Are you referring to inlcine BB press/Decline BB press/Incline DB's/Decline DBs? Or some other excercises?
I'm referring to flat bench, put a little incline on the bench and it's probably much better for your cuffs (and the chances of ripping a pec are probably much less), so incline and decline bench are fine (well unless it bothers your shoulders), and all DB presses are fine, most machine presses are fine (just try it out and see if the machine feels good) .... dips bother some so keep that in mind.

demasta
12-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Hi All,

Does anbody have an illustration of how this movement is preformed?

DC and PTAaron both posted illustrations on the first and second pages of the thread but I cant seem to see em???

Thanks

Egill
12-29-2005, 02:34 AM
old pictures are deleted to save up some server space,... some pictures posted recently in this thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=13016

demasta
12-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks Egill........I was doing em right.

dzous hamboures
12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Would this be good for me?

I've got a problem with my right Supraspinatus (Chronic tendonitis) It seems to work so long as I keep my shoulder blades shrugged right back (sort of as if I'm setting up to bench) on the "dislocation" part of the exercise.

silee
01-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Dante, Hi, I don't follow you as far as keeping your arms straight and lowering the broom stick to the middle of the back. How is that possible? I mean what is the starting point for that. Is the broom stick on your butt to start with?

Egill
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Dante, Hi, I don't follow you as far as keeping your arms straight and lowering the broom stick to the middle of the back. How is that possible? I mean what is the starting point for that. Is the broom stick on your butt to start with?
you can look at pics from the link in post #196,...... you start with the broom stick in front of you, you can go all the way to the middle of the back by using wide grip and you shouldn't grip the broom stick very hard, pretty much only with your thumb and index finger.

silee
01-18-2006, 10:38 PM
i was working with a broom stick,but it was too short. then by accident i picked up this pole to open sky lights which was really long ok. that did it i was able to get the pole all the way down pass my mid back. So i guess if i keep doing this i should make progress in a week or so.

fullthrottle
02-03-2006, 09:41 PM
is there anything like this for knee problems?

shiggy
02-04-2006, 11:13 AM
When your doing the hard part of the exercise, when your hands are coming from above your head to your back, are you supposed to keep your back straight or is it ok for your chest to pop out a little. Or does it make no difference? Thanks.

Doggcrapp
02-04-2006, 12:44 PM
GETTING SHIGGY WITH IT!!!!!

yea its ok if your chest pops outward---the main thing is slowly moving your grip in over time

rockhard
03-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Just have to say this is great for shoulder problems. Back in my swimming days i had lots of problems with the shoulders until my coach tought me this exercise, it fixed both the pain problem and gave me alot more flexibility so its great :thumb:

Efkan
03-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Hello im sorry but my english isnt that good.
My question was i use kind of a roap and when i try this motion i try to rip the roap apart is this correct? Or should i not try to rip the roap apart and just do the stretching?

And what better to use a roap or something els?

And is it better to do this rite before you go to sleep or doesnt it mather?

Efkan
03-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Can somebody please answer? I have this pain for 6 months now and fysiotherapy isnt working. Im very desperate and i dont want to do this in a wrong way.

BOHICA
03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Hello im sorry but my english isnt that good.
My question was i use kind of a roap and when i try this motion i try to rip the roap apart is this correct? Or should i not try to rip the roap apart and just do the stretching?

And what better to use a roap or something els?

And is it better to do this rite before you go to sleep or doesnt it mather?

Make sure you keep your arms straight the entire time and after you can easily do it move your hands closer and closer together. Those are the main things you want to work on. I currently use a rolled up towel, just because I don't have a pole long enough yet.

I would do it before bed nightly.

Hope that helps and welcome.

Efkan
03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Thank you for answer so no pulling apart the roap or the broomstick?

Egill
03-07-2006, 04:36 PM
no need to try to pull the roap/broomstick/towel apart, just keep your arms straight.

Efkan
03-07-2006, 05:09 PM
no need to try to pull the roap/broomstick/towel apart, just keep your arms straight.

Thank you the exircese feels good!

lefty1014
03-08-2006, 08:45 PM
wow, i searched shoulder pain benching and i found this thread.
the title caught my eye immediately. so im gonna go try it out.

basically i think i hurt my shoulder benching. my shoulder feels find whenever im lifting and doing every other exercise "except" when i hit the bench. i can barely do 120 now before i start feeling the stinging pain in my left shoulder. i am able to lift the bar up, but when i bring it down to push back up, that is when i strat feeling the pain.

hopefully this exercise can help my shoulder. i would hate to have to give up benching.

Egill
03-09-2006, 03:28 AM
hopefully this exercise can help my shoulder. i would hate to have to give up benching.
I know you don't want to hear it but to give up flat benching is one of the best things you can do to keep your shoulders good,....... flat bb bench wrecks many people shoulders (and a pec tear is much more common than on other chest exercises),....... there are tons of other chest exercises that are just as good (if not better) and much safer, stick to inclines/declines, dumbells, machines and maybe dips (dips might give you shoulder problems so keep that in mind).

shiggy
03-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I was wondering what menthol rub do you recommend?

phatkid77
03-14-2006, 06:37 AM
bet im the worst in the league.....will try tonite, but if i have my arms shoulder width apart........i can only get the ABOVE MY HEAD......ZERO rotation....maybe it will be different with broom......lol

Egill
03-14-2006, 07:18 AM
bet im the worst in the league.....will try tonite, but if i have my arms shoulder width apart........i can only get the ABOVE MY HEAD......ZERO rotation....maybe it will be different with broom......lol
uhhh shoulder width,........ are you crazy, lol,......... it's more like double shoulder width,..... it would be very impressive if you could do it with only shoulder width grip.

Spat
03-18-2006, 11:04 PM
I was wondering what menthol rub do you recommend?

I really like Tiger Balm. It soothes really well and seems to last. Another good thing about it is that the odor is pretty mild and not nearly as offensive as something like Icy Hot.

Kent
03-28-2006, 11:34 PM
What's the chances of this working with an AC separation?

dexxl
03-30-2006, 10:02 PM
---Heres a pic attached to this post so you can get an idea (thanks to a trainee of mine who cured his shoulders with this)--but remember the broomstick goes overhead and all the way back to the middle of the back (he just drew the start of the movement when you begin)

where's the picture?!??

Egill
03-30-2006, 10:15 PM
where's the picture?!??
if you had taken the time to read the posts you would have seen my comment on page 8 where I said that old pictures are deleted to save server space and I also linked to other thread that had some pictures.

a1programmer
04-01-2006, 02:59 AM
What's the chances of this working with an AC separation?

I would like to know that as well.

I have an AC separation that has been bothering me for over 2.5 years. The ligament on the AC joint isn't torn, just majorly stretched. I can't move my shoulder in very many positions without it popping terribly.

I've been to 2 orthopedic doctors, a physical therapist, and a chiropractor, and nothing has helped me. I've had an x-ray, an MRI, and have been given lots of stretches to do. Nothing seems to help.

Some days, it hurts all day, the pain is horrible, even when I haven't been doing anything.

As far as in the Gym goes, bench presses, flyes, and any type of shoulder exercises are excruciating. I can't even stand to do standing barbell curls some days.

I stumbled on this thread today, and am going to try this. I am really hoping this will help me out.

Egill
04-01-2006, 05:31 AM
I stumbled on this thread today, and am going to try this. I am really hoping this will help me out.
good luck and keep us updated

a1programmer
04-01-2006, 02:01 PM
good luck and keep us updated

Thanks... I certainly will.

I have a few pics here.

http://www.derricksimpson.com/shoulder1.jpg (with measurement)
http://www.derricksimpson.com/shoulder2.jpg

AshtonUK
04-01-2006, 06:05 PM
i have shoulder laxity and partial tears.....when i do this movement my shoulder pops and clicks a bit...is that normal?

Egill
04-01-2006, 06:54 PM
i have shoulder laxity and partial tears.....when i do this movement my shoulder pops and clicks a bit...is that normal?
I'm not sure,... PTAaron talks a bit about clicking a few pages back in this thread,..... usually clicking is fine as long as it doesn't hurt.

AshtonUK
04-02-2006, 10:40 AM
does this exercise strengthen the rotator cuff muscles or just stretch them?

enigmatix
04-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi

I have joined due to this thread! this has given me hope. I mashed up my shoulder heavy flat benching.

... now lets talk about my problem. My right shoulder hurts if i try and raise my arm straight ahead( like a front raise)... but not to the side (like a lateral raise). it hurts on the ball but the pain seems to be going across my collar bone a bit. .. just where the should and collar bone meet up. Also it hurts ALOT if i try and do a pec dec type of movement while lyeing on my left side and doing the movement with my right arm ...(it hurts in the raise part of th movement - so my if my arm is straight ahead of me while lieing on my right side.. and i raise it so my hand is straight ahead of my ear). IT KILLS RIGHT IN THE JOINT when i do this.

The only excercise this causes me problems on severly is bench press (i caused it doing this) and close grip flat press. Doing incline smiths, shoulder pressing up is fine. Also hurts on front raises.

What part have i injured? like i said 6months is the injury now. it goes bad, recovers - i bench - it goes worse. I took a week off gym and went back to flat heavy bench and it hurts even more now thats why i decided to post.

will this excercise help me.

Egill
04-04-2006, 10:44 PM
enigmatix, flat bench is not recommended since it wreckes many shoulders (and also because of pec tears), drop the flat bench and use some other chest exercises.

people very rarely have problems with close grip flat bench though.

and the shoulder exercise very well might help you, give it a shot and see how it goes.

enigmatix
04-05-2006, 05:59 PM
how close do i have to go on this broomstick

i cant go closer as when im coming up i cant hold the stick in its position as i feel my shoulders are gonna crush.. i have to let my hands slide wider when im just above my head.

im using an elastic style rubber band (large one i got about 6 foot in length)

this allows me to start close then widen as i go up and over then narrow again once its behind my back. This is while keeping arms straight.

Is it ok to use such a band.. or do i have to stick to a broomstick.

Egill
04-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I think you need a larger broomstick or just a big towel so you don't have trouble going over your head,.... I'm not sure about using a rubber band.

a1programmer
04-07-2006, 12:55 AM
I've did these about 5 nights since the 6 that I've known about this exercise? I had horrible pain third night after doing them, and took the fourth night off (I may have did something wrong).

All the other nights, my shoulder has felt excellent after I get finished with the stretch.

I can definitely tell I have gained some flexibility, but I can't tell that the pain is going away, yet while working out.

Egill - Did you get a chance to see my x-rays? What do you think?

Egill - I also notice that you mention that there are a lot of other chest exercises besides bench press. I would have to disagree. I count incline / decline bench press as bench pressing, but you listed those as alternate workouts. Inclines actually hurt my left shoulder more than flat bench presses.

What other chest exercises would you recommend that I try?

Egill
04-07-2006, 07:12 AM
I've did these about 5 nights since the 6 that I've known about this exercise? I had horrible pain third night after doing them, and took the fourth night off (I may have did something wrong).

All the other nights, my shoulder has felt excellent after I get finished with the stretch.

I can definitely tell I have gained some flexibility, but I can't tell that the pain is going away, yet while working out.

Egill - Did you get a chance to see my x-rays? What do you think?

then maybe this isn't for you,..... sorry, I'm not a doctor so I'm just not sure,.... maybe someone like PTAaron can comment on this.

Egill - I also notice that you mention that there are a lot of other chest exercises besides bench press. I would have to disagree. I count incline / decline bench press as bench pressing, but you listed those as alternate workouts. Inclines actually hurt my left shoulder more than flat bench presses.
I said flat bench press, many people have shoulder problems from flat bb bench press,.... incline/decline is usually not a problem but in your case I'd not do the inclines (at least for now) since they hurt your shoulder.

What other chest exercises would you recommend that I try?
try dumbells, they are usually rather easy on the shoulders since there is not much tricep involvement,.... also try some machines presses (take some time to find the best spot, i.e. seat position and such) and smythe incline/decline and simply use what doesn't bother you.

also put a high emphasis on good form, slow negatives while stopping for a split second at the bottom of the movement to eliminate momentum and keep shoulders back/down while chest is high,....... I wouldn't go to heavy / low reps either.

lionel
04-07-2006, 09:12 AM
second that.. flat.. man, i don't what the hell is wrong with it. Almost hurt my shoulder doing flat smith.. damn. To all out there, if you really HAVE to do flat, make sure you have tip-top form and warm up properly!!

a1programmer
04-08-2006, 12:11 AM
im using an elastic style rubber band (large one i got about 6 foot in length)

this allows me to start close then widen as i go up and over then narrow again once its behind my back. This is while keeping arms straight.

Is it ok to use such a band.. or do i have to stick to a broomstick.

Enigmatix,
I'm certainly no expert on this, but I definitely would not use the large band. The main reason beaing that it will let your arms move inward /outward (closer / and farther apart). That basically seems like it defeats the purpose of doing it.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Egill and lionel,
Thanks for the info...

lionel
04-14-2006, 02:44 AM
Just a quick question bout this exercise.. you're supposed to do the motion with stiff/straight arms throughout. Has anybody ever felt a slight discomfort in the elbow joints?

This is especially at the transition near the front to the back where your elbows are extended to their max.. I'm wondering if this is normal and if i'm doing this properly. I don't wanna ignore the pain as it is quite a pain in the ass..

Egill
04-14-2006, 02:56 AM
try not locking your elbows, keep them slightly bent, I think it will be easier on your joints

lionel
04-14-2006, 03:03 AM
egill.. i don't think keeping your elbows bent is the right way to do this exercise.. but to achieve some sorta compromise, i think i have to.. wonder what DC thinks.

Egill
04-14-2006, 03:10 AM
egill.. i don't think keeping your elbows bent is the right way to do this exercise.. but to achieve some sorta compromise, i think i have to.. wonder what DC thinks.
you are not exercising your elbow joint, it's the angle of the joint that goes into your shoulder that controls how much this exercise stretches the shoulder muscles (rotator cuffs),.... and I'm only talking about a slight bend.

lionel
04-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Egill, just finished doing another 50 with a slight bend with hands slightly wider apart.. works like a charm..

To all, do give this variation a go if you have problems like me too..

Seattle909
04-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Honestly I had no idea that a simple stretch like that every night can make my shoulders feel so good. I was unbelieveably inflexible before starting this and I've loosened my shoulder right up in two weeks.

I can finally go back to heavy incline's again!!

lionel
04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Honestly I had no idea that a simple stretch like that every night can make my shoulders feel so good. I was unbelieveably inflexible before starting this and I've loosened my shoulder right up in two weeks.

I can finally go back to heavy incline's again!!

Glad its working so well seattle. I usually do it after my cardio, when my body's all warmed up and i can get into the groove of this lil exercise/stretch easier. Add in some rotator cuff exercises and you're all good to go in a few weeks. Keep those shoulders healthy man!

Seattle909
04-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks Lionel. When would you recommend doing rotator cuff exercises, right after doing shoulders? Or should this be something that I do on a daily basis also?

lionel
04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I used to do them right after shoulders, which was like once a week on average. But after i felt a slight pain in the area near the anterior deltoid/collarbone area while doing TOO heavy flat smith, i started increasing the frequency of the broomstick stretch/rotator cuff exercises to after evening cardio (bout 3-4 times a week).

IF you do not have any niggling should/rotator problems and may have a shortage of time, doing em after shoulders may be the best compromise. If your shoulders have been troubling you (like mine), please feel free to increase the frequency slowly. Try and see what works!

Weaka5hell
04-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Dante, there is no way I can truly say thank you unless you saw my performance on the baseball field and the way my game has changed since this stretch fixed my shoulder, for the most part. When I throw the ball in practice, I can now pop the glove 95% of the time with laser sighted accuracy and my shoulder doesn't bother me nearly as much. This is the first time in a very long time I have increased my velocity on my throws while being in season. I still have labral problems, which will most likely need to be surgically repaired after the season, but this stretch has significantly reduced the pain in my throwing shoulder this spring. So from New York, I thank you.

Doggcrapp
04-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Glad to hear it--I do have to tell you Im a diehard Red Sox fan (massachusetts is my home)...but as long as your not pitching for the yankees, Im glad to help

The Big B
05-02-2006, 01:47 AM
I've been linked to this thread several times in my search for a shoulder pain remedy, and though I've read the whole thread, I have several questions:

Q1: It started on January 27th, a little over 3 months ago now. I hurt my shoulder lifting a 75lbs barbell up and over my head to put on my back for squats, since I have to exercise at home my weight is limited as is my equipment, so getting the barbell on my back isn't proformed in the safest manner. Anyway, as I lifted the barbell right over my head I felt like a pop in my right shoulder. It didn't start hurting until the day after, and I haven't lifted a barbell since. The only time I really feel pain in the shoulder is maybe in the first couple hours after waking up, most likely from laying on it, and during very precise movements. The rest of the day it feels a bit stiff, and maybe has some low throbbing pain from time to time, or just an over all feeling of "not normal but not painful". Could this possibly help me, or should I seek medical attention (which is overpriced and mostly guess work short of the ultra expensive MRI)

Q2: I've given up Flat Bench Pressing, but should I discard all BB Bench Presses, including Incline & Decline? And perhaps try DB Bench Presses? I haven't been able to exercise in quite a while, but chest exercises have always been dear to me.

Q3: If the stretch dislocates, is that really ok for the body? Cause I'm not sure I like the sound of it.

Q4: Let me see if I have the method right, the original post was a bit difficult for me to read:

*My slightly edited version of Dante's Post:

With a large towel or broomstick I want you to hold it with straight arms for the entire time of what I describe in the following movement, a large "rolled up like a rope" beach towel works good but honestly a longer broomstick (without the bristles) works best in my opinion.

Start out with it with a really wide grip (with straight arms) in front of you (on your quads) and with straight arms bring it up and overhead and then down and back to the middle of your back, STRAIGHT ARMS ALL THE WAY, this is going to be very difficult and hard the first couple times out and then will be "old hat" with time, and its going to be painful in a stretching pump kind of way, I want 50 reps each time you do this, one repetition is from in front of your face (all with straight arms) to up overhead and back, and then down all the way to the middle of your back and then back up overhead to in front of your face again (again all with straight arms).

The important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight, do all of this carefully/slowly, don't just whip it over and back, if your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you can't bring your arms over straight and the start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you could just need a longer broomstick too), again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully, push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back, your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painful pump-wise.

Arms straight the whole way, and if you can't keep arms straight you have to widen the grip and/or get a longer broomstick (don't be gripping the broomstick with tights fists, let it roll thru your fingers if it has to as you go up and back), I only hold onto it with my middle and pointer fingers and thumb.

Do this once a day at night as many times a week as you can, sometimes I have people do it every single day, but every time you do it try to move your grip inward (that's the key), its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks, also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions, start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up some, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter, really try to push what you can do stretch-wise once your warmed up here. Remember the broomstick goes overhead and all the way back to the middle of the back.

*Notes:
-Within 1 rep, the towel/broomstick goes over your head twice.
-You may have to grip pretty wide at first to be able to make the complete movement.
-Try not locking your elbows, keep them slightly bent, it will be easier on your joints.

*Pics: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000629.html

Egill
05-02-2006, 04:38 AM
welcome to the board

Q1: Could this possibly help me, or should I seek medical attention (which is overpriced and mostly guess work short of the ultra expensive MRI)
if you don't feel pain while doing the exercise I think it's definitely worth a try,... otherwise I don't know,... is the injury getting any better by time?

Q2: I've given up Flat Bench Pressing, but should I discard all BB Bench Presses, including Incline & Decline? And perhaps try DB Bench Presses? I haven't been able to exercise in quite a while, but chest exercises have always been dear to me.
no certainly not, flat bb bench is what seems to give people problems, incline/declines are much better (at least if you feel comfortable /no pain doing them),... db presses are great at flat/incline/decline and whatever you want and there are also good machines you can choose etc.

Q3: If the stretch dislocates, is that really ok for the body? Cause I'm not sure I like the sound of it.
at least in most cases a pop sound is not a problem unless there is pain with it.

Q4: Let me see if I have the method right, the original post was a bit difficult for me to read:

*My slightly edited version of Dante's Post:
looks fine to me

The Big B
05-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Thank you very much Egill, I do believe it has gotten a little better over time, it hurts lesss when I wake up now, and is usually only trigger by side lateral-like movements or something similar that hit it just right. I'll be giving these stretches a good try later on today, and I'll post with my results as they come in. Thanks again.

joub
05-15-2006, 02:59 AM
i've been reading this thread over and over again and i really still think i'm not doing this movement right at all lol.... i really didn't think i was that dumb but i just can't figure it out

Egill
05-15-2006, 05:01 AM
i've been reading this thread over and over again and i really still think i'm not doing this movement right at all lol.... i really didn't think i was that dumb but i just can't figure it out
have you checked out this thread with some pictures: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=13016

joub
05-15-2006, 03:27 PM
have you checked out this thread with some pictures: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=13016

awesome bro.... thanks a lot

The Big B
05-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I was able to do the stretches for about a week, it seemed to take away the majority of the pain during an action, but increased the overall pain while doing nothing. I would have done the complete 2 weeks to see if it healed, but I had to have gallbladder surgery, and I am currently recovering. So I suppose my results will be delayed from posting.

Egill
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
but I had to have gallbladder surgery
you might have been able to awoid that,.... for anyone interested in a gallbladder flush: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6865 (but too late now of course)

Weaka5hell
05-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Dante, there is no way I can truly say thank you unless you saw my performance on the baseball field and the way my game has changed since this stretch fixed my shoulder, for the most part. When I throw the ball in practice, I can now pop the glove 95% of the time with laser sighted accuracy and my shoulder doesn't bother me nearly as much. This is the first time in a very long time I have increased my velocity on my throws while being in season. I still have labral problems, which will most likely need to be surgically repaired after the season, but this stretch has significantly reduced the pain in my throwing shoulder this spring. So from New York, I thank you.

Update: I am willing to credit this stretch alone to the fact that I will not need a surgical labral reconstruction this summer, which will give me more time to lift and eat without going through rehab. Again, thank you.

mrrexx
06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
DC,

Decided to give your exercise a try because I have a small bump on my left shoulder. I think it is a type I AC separation. I have also had rot cuff problems in the past but working my rear delt areas before every shoulder or chest workout has helped with that.

Anyhow, I have done the exercise only twice and I did about 5 full repititions both times.

The results for the shoulder were very good. My shoulder afterwards felt fine at the main joint, my rot cuffs were fine, and the auth that I get occassionally was non-existant.

The only bad thing I noticed was that I had some discomfort in the collarbone(clavical) area on both sides. Could I be doing something wrong? I am weary of continuing the exercise becuase the colarbone is a sensitive area? Please advise and thanks in advance for the help. Just so you'll know...I was using about a 7ft 2 inch PVC pipe with a wide grip.

P-rock
06-13-2006, 02:22 AM
DC,

Decided to give your exercise a try because I have a small bump on my left shoulder. I think it is a type I AC separation. I have also had rot cuff problems in the past but working my rear delt areas before every shoulder or chest workout has helped with that.

Anyhow, I have done the exercise only twice and I did about 5 full repititions both times.

The results for the shoulder were very good. My shoulder afterwards felt fine at the main joint, my rot cuffs were fine, and the auth that I get occassionally was non-existant.

The only bad thing I noticed was that I had some discomfort in the collarbone(clavical) area on both sides. Could I be doing something wrong? I am weary of continuing the exercise becuase the colarbone is a sensitive area? Please advise and thanks in advance for the help. Just so you'll know...I was using about a 7ft 2 inch PVC pipe with a wide grip.

try using a towel opr sheet first, then working your way up to a stick. a towel or sheet has much more give and will allow you to slowly gain that flexibility back

priest7
06-13-2006, 09:57 PM
my problem is im 17 years old and both shoulders are really fucking up, i cant do any pressing motions or get alot of pains, i d like to try and do this but there is no pictures .. anyone mind taking a picture, i dont understand a few thigns

mister69
06-13-2006, 10:57 PM
hey priest if yuo are having serious pains then i would see a doc

Egill
06-16-2006, 12:12 AM
my problem is im 17 years old and both shoulders are really fucking up, i cant do any pressing motions or get alot of pains, i d like to try and do this but there is no pictures .. anyone mind taking a picture, i dont understand a few thigns
if you would have read the thread you would have noticed a link to pictures like a page back which I posted (and the link works).

0verlord
06-19-2006, 12:44 PM

Your not the only teen out there with fucked shoulders bro. I'm 18 and i have rot tendonitis in both shoulders. All pushing and pulling movements pretty much make my shoulders feel like shit. But DC's shoulder cure really helped my recovery so the pain only flares up when i do any kind of strenuous upper body movement with my arms. I've been taking anti inflams(naproxen) and applying icy hot to the area along with doing dc's stretch as many times a day as possible with a stretch band and recovery keeps getting better. Now to figure out if i should just go back into light upper body movements and push through the little annoying pain or drop any kind of upper body lifting all together.

labrat24
07-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Dante,
someone mentioned this before here - does something similar exist for knee problems? thanks - labrat

Nuttte
07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Anyone cured a supraspinatustendinos with this exercise?

drinu
08-16-2006, 08:44 AM
i have like 2 small bones coming out of my top shoulder exactly situated were the trapezius end so its on top of the shoulder one doesn't hurt but i feel that the 1 on the right hurts alot does any one know what they could be , they told me that it could be artritis in the bone , could it be the case ,

knowledge24
09-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Anybody with a torn labrum doing these exercises?

HK4
09-25-2006, 06:49 PM
IF it hurts, you know the difference between good hurt and bad hurt dont do it.

Ive had some shoulder issues in the past, torn cartridge type issues and can do these without much pain. Its a good hurt personally.

Moen
10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
i have like 2 small bones coming out of my top shoulder exactly situated were the trapezius end so its on top of the shoulder one doesn't hurt but i feel that the 1 on the right hurts alot does any one know what they could be , they told me that it could be artritis in the bone , could it be the case ,

I have this too ! Fuck I look like an alien :(

Somebody knows what this is ?

dellsguy67
10-11-2006, 11:29 PM
i never thought i would have to post in this thread, but here i am.....

i was on my honeymoon last week, and the massage therapist was doing some deep tissue work, and they asked if it was ok to do some stretches w/ my upper back/shoulders.....FYI, if you are asked this, telling them to fuck off is ok.

so ever since then, it has felt like a railroad spike has been driven through each shoulder. iron addict has me doing some individual shoulder work as mandatory practice w/ my workouts, but i am using this too - it hurts like hell, but i can see where it will speed things along. i'm also using menthol, but 12% is the best i could find.

this is good stuff dante

dellsguy67
10-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Update - after the broomstick work, advil, and menthol, i'm in about the worst pain i can imagine today - i did the stuff last night.

i think i need to get an odor free menthol for when i go to work. obviously it won't be as potent, but still, it's better than nothing at all. i also plan to hit the advil for another day or two, but the shoulders hurt for the 1st time ever.

TheUnlikelyHERO
10-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi DC and everyone else,

I've been having some cracking in my right shoulder for the past couple of weeks and I started doing this stretch lightly, as much as possible. However, my problem is that I had surgery on my right shoulder 4 years ago, so for me to do the stretch correctly, and have them "dislocate" could risk tearing everything that my surgery gave me, like all the pins and staples that are in there because I dislocated like 15 times my junior year of high school. Am I still able to do this you think?

2ndShifter
10-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Can someone please post a picture of this stretch? At points in this thread people make reference to a picture of video of this stretch. But I can't find it anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please point me to where I can see what this stretch looks like? It looks like it will be very helpful, and I want to get it exactly right. Thanks!

Sentinel
10-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Can someone please post a picture of this stretch? At points in this thread people make reference to a picture of video of this stretch. But I can't find it anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please point me to where I can see what this stretch looks like? It looks like it will be very helpful, and I want to get it exactly right. Thanks!
yeah dude, i put up a video on youtube. hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6NrxHBUR-4

peace

Sentinel

ps: dont move ur arms as much as me. i did it with a cloth. id normally do this with a broom stick where my grip stays firm. i did this when i dislocated both my shoulders (not right away) and it helped a LOT

2ndShifter
10-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Hey! Thank you very much for the link to that video, Sentinel. I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I didn't have much chance to get on the computer this past week.

But your video was extremely helpful, and I now have a great idea of how to do this stretch/movement. Thanks, again, buddy. You're a big help! : )

drinu
10-23-2006, 08:52 AM
is this good for Bursites too ??

Sentinel
10-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Hey! Thank you very much for the link to that video, Sentinel. I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I didn't have much chance to get on the computer this past week.

But your video was extremely helpful, and I now have a great idea of how to do this stretch/movement. Thanks, again, buddy. You're a big help! : )
you're welcome mon ami

0verlord
10-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Curious, any shoulder surgery people out there use this religously with positive gains? I am about to have my shoulder capsules tightened/torn labrums repaired and i think this is the perfect exercise to get my mobility back although i think its going to be painful as fuck even after im well into therapy.

Sentinel
10-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Curious, any shoulder surgery people out there use this religously with positive gains? I am about to have my shoulder capsules tightened/torn labrums repaired and i think this is the perfect exercise to get my mobility back although i think its going to be painful as fuck even after im well into therapy.
there are a few PL'ers on bb.com who i know use this exercise "religiously"

luquillo78
10-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm starting this excersice today. I've been suffering shoulder pain for 1 month. Not very hard pain, but I can't bench heavy because it gets worse.

Thanks for the post.

priest7
11-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Alright,

I have to start doing this because last year at the end of the year, I got up to my strongest but had to stop due to a shoulder injury and it's reoccuring again in my left shoulder.. swollen tendon maybe, anyhow..

i didnt look at this thread since and there was no pictures before demonstrating, is there anyway you can put some up? im going to go try this soon

Sentinel
11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Alright,

I have to start doing this because last year at the end of the year, I got up to my strongest but had to stop due to a shoulder injury and it's reoccuring again in my left shoulder.. swollen tendon maybe, anyhow..

i didnt look at this thread since and there was no pictures before demonstrating, is there anyway you can put some up? im going to go try this soon
ive put up a video.....u should just click on the previous page and my post is probably the last one out there

mmikey1500
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
i have still some pretty bad inpingement even after i've been doing this exercise for about 3.5 mos. i've also been getting ART, a couple cortisone shots, and 3 mos off from the gym. anything else i can try before i look into surgery?

mike

browndustin
12-04-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm certainly a little late but I'm going to give this a try.

Like an ass, I decided to listen to what everyone says and do heavy benching... I've hated flat bench from the beginning and it only aggravated my shoulder even more. This really pumps blood into the cuffs.

When I understand DC training a little more and start a journal, I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes. This looks really promising.

Maya2805
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Hey guys!!
I guess Im having a slow day today....and I cant blame it on the lack carbs LOL (I just found the link to this thread)...but Ihave a hard time imagining how its done.

Do you have any pictures or clips?

Also having problems with shoulders....damn! I hope it helps!!

Wannt2beHuge
12-07-2006, 04:18 PM
There is no better exercise than this one for shoulders. I have been doing it for many years as part of my Yoga/Stretching routine. The only additional instructions I would add is to inhale as you move arms up and exhale as you move them down. Make it very conscious and slow process. Just to keep arms straight is not enough; try to create the max distance between your shoulders and a towel/broomstick at any point of the movement. Also mind your lower back, it should be straight at all times, do not arch it. For really deep stretch when doing narrowest grip you can pause at the back side at shoulder blades level for as long as you can relaxing your shoulder muscles and pushing the towel away from you. Your whole chest and shoulder areas should go into very deep relaxed stretch. Over time you will feel much less pain and very good sensation in this position.

GETSWOLE09
01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
im a new member and have had left shoulder pain whenever benching and have not been able to incline bench because of this. Hope this exercise helps my shoulder. Also do you do this after or before you wokout you chest or shoulders. Do you do it everyday also.

luquillo78
01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I've been doing it for 3 months already. Shoulder is better but I still can't bench. I can do dips and lateral raises. I'll keep doing it and see what happens.

Crimson Ghost
01-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Nice video Sentinel! Your range of motion is great, once I get overhead it all binds up for me....

Anyway, I have known about this execise for years, ever since Dante came out with it. No clue why I never did these but I will from now on.

For the past year or so I've had pain in my left shoulder. Any chest exercise, shoulder exercise, basically any pressing movement hurts like mad. In the past few months it's gotten so bad that it hurts when I'm at work or just sitting around. The pain radiates from my left scapula, into my left tricep and rear delt, throughout the medial and anterior delts and into my collarbone. I've had RC issues before but this is 100% different. On top of the pain, the clicking and popping from doing most type of everyday movement is really annoying. Some of the clicking and popping isn't the sharp type of snapping sound like cracking your knuckles. It's more like a deep "thud" coming from inside my shoulder.

About a month ago I started taking Motrin/ Ibuprofen/ Aleve daily, thinking it would relieve some inflammation and pain. I never noticed anything from it and I really hate taking anything for that long. I was reading everything I could on shoulder injuries and was convinced I had tendonitis or bursitis in my shoulder. Now I don't think that's it at all because some of the symptoms for those are pain sleeping on the afflicted shoulder and I can sleep on my shoulder all night. After getting fed up with the pain, the clicking and not being able to lift chest/ shoulders and sometimes triceps, I decided to come back to this thread. Why did I wait this long?

On Wednesday night of this week I started doing these stretches. I think I only got through 20 of them and I even had to split them up in sets. When I woke up yesterday my shoulder felt great. I'd say I had about 30% more range of motion, 80% less pain and about 60% less popping and clicking than the previous day. I did the exercises again last night and today I even feel better!

So, unless you have REALLY jacked up shoulders, I think you should give these a try. They work extremely well and surprisingly quick. I will do these several times a week for the rest of my life now.

THANKS DANTE!!!

ausjc
02-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Great exercise, coupled with some internal/external rotations it's great for shoulder rehab.

olb33
02-04-2007, 12:09 PM
yeah dude, i put up a video on youtube. hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6NrxHBUR-4

peace

Sentinel

ps: dont move ur arms as much as me. i did it with a cloth. id normally do this with a broom stick where my grip stays firm. i did this when i dislocated both my shoulders (not right away) and it helped a LOT

wow dude thank you for the video. ive always had bad shoulders ive wanted to try this. but i didnt think i was doing it right

your ROM is great

Cerberus
02-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Everyone should consider reading the following:

Shoulder Savers Series: Parts 1-3

1) http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531
2) http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1055409
3) http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1153915

luquillo78
02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
This is my 4th month since injury. I've been doing this excercise once a week. I started doing light pressings "around" the pain. Basically no flat benching, but I'm now doing dips and shoulder presses heavy again. Last workout started also with very light bench.

My conclusion is that the best thing you peolple with mild tendonitis can do is stop pressing and start this stretches. After 3 months resting start VERY light around the pain and continue with the stretches.

takedown
03-18-2007, 05:26 PM
do u know if these can help me i have a seperated shoulder,im going to pt and also doing shoulder band workouts on my own,i just dont want to hurt it ,it was a type 2 by the way

craig57
03-26-2007, 03:26 AM
some people think it's freaky how flexible my shoulder joint is now, thanks.

priest7
03-28-2007, 10:43 PM
i was wonderng, when i do this exercize my shoulder cracks alot.. and thats the real problem lately with my shoulder, no pain lately.. just alot of cracking and I can't sleep on them cause I wake up with really bad pain through them. it won't hurt my shoulders anymore from cracking will it? i had to stop lifting several times over the past 2 years due to shoulder problems, i need a permanent solution or a temporary that lasts longer then a month -.-

priest7
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
alright, little update from yesterday..

i took a sheet and used electrical tape and made one of these contraptions haha, i did 50 repetitions and by the end of it my shoulders felt great.. nice pump in arms and forearms and traps, and also in shoulders at the end there was no cracking at all barely and when i woke up i had no shoulder pain for the first time in 2 weeks. im going to continue you to do this on a regular basisi

Pink Floyd
03-31-2007, 12:00 AM
I just finished doing 2 sets of 20 reps, and i can already feel improvement(flexibility). I also read every reply in this 13 page thread.

And also learned a lot from these three articles which brought up other informative stuff like: "Feel better for 10 bucks"

Everyone should consider reading the following:

Shoulder Savers Series: Parts 1-3

I had to remove the links because i supposedly need to have 5 posts to be able to post links...

shagnscoob
04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I have a question about this--

Suppose we have a little bit of soreness/pain in our rotator cuff and we are going to take a week or 2 off from upper body lifts. Can we do this stretch while we are resting the RC or should we start immediately? I don't particularly want to exacerbate my RC problem...

Moen
04-13-2007, 03:45 PM
I suffer from the exact same thing as you bro and no matter what doctors or whoever says, if you dont at least stretch it and just leave it alone for 2 weeks it will get stiff and will only get worse, believe me.

I do it daily even when my shoulders are seriously inflamed

Crimson Ghost
04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
The shoulder stretch not only stretches but it pumps a lot of fresh blood into the area. Feels so good!!

dblb20
04-19-2007, 07:10 AM
DC thanks for the tip shoulder has been bothersome for a few weeks now. But this seems to help keep the KNOT out. Thanks again Double B:peace:

kbdub
04-19-2007, 02:55 PM
this feels so good..i have friends with bad shoulders back home. i can't wait to see how it works for them

Colossal
05-23-2007, 06:09 PM
is this good for Bursites too ??

I believe that is good as well because bursitis is an inflamation too on this same way that tendinitis.

tadams
05-25-2007, 07:14 PM
I just tried this for the first time today. I have had some pain in my left shoulder lately and hopefully this will help me out. I could get my arms back but my grip was VERY wide with a beach towel, going to have to work my way up.

YAKFAT
06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
I've been having some problems with my traps and every time I do this my traps feel like they are going to explode. But i was wondering, should we start to up the reps cus the first time i did it i could only do 20, the next time, 50 with a few breaks, the time after that 50 strait thru, so should i stick with fifty or just keep going till my head explodes off of my shoulders?

bigjimmy
07-03-2007, 09:20 PM
This is a great post........ just seen this tip and gotta give it a go! I havent been able to squat for several years becuase of my shoulders are so tight. I've been doing hacks and everything else and the bigger I've gotten the less flexible I've become. Anyone else have problems getting their arms behind them to perform squats and if this movement will help my shoulders.

pumpnirn
08-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Well let me say, i tried this stretch WEDS and THURs i woke up with some soreness and discomfort... friday the discomfort increased and come SAT i was in horrible pain... i didnt know what to do, but when i woke up on SUN i was 100% back to normal with more range in my shoulder and better then ever... i dont know if its suppose to hurt for a little while and tehn improve but it did and i will continue this movement as i benefited doin it for a couple times

rainman777
08-17-2007, 01:19 AM
i have the oposite porblem with my shoulder my ligaments are loose and my shoulder is too flexible and has too much rom. will this help tightin my shoulder up and also will this work all of the smaller muscles around the shoulder also helping to tightin it up.

Mr Mac Mac
08-17-2007, 07:45 AM
i have the oposite porblem with my shoulder my ligaments are loose and my shoulder is too flexible and has too much rom. will this help tightin my shoulder up and also will this work all of the smaller muscles around the shoulder also helping to tightin it up.

This sounds like the same problem that i have. There is no pain if you're just sitting around watching TV or something, but if you were to push down (like as if you were doing a dip) that's when the pain comes on??

JoeyDB30
08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Just signed up to the forum to thank you so much for this DC, after banging my shoulder up last week in a game my shoulder has been absolutely killing me and my movement and strength has been pretty much gone...all I could do was bands and merely a few sets.
I started doing this lightly last night and today at the gym I could actually do some weighted excerises and not just bands..(after warming up with the excersise).

It took me so long to get the results that I have now (hard gainer) so this injury had me terrified that I would be back at scratch..thanks to you I have gotten my motivation back and hopefully within a few weeks I'll be back to the heavier weights :) I do want to add I didnt think it would make such a big impact but even sitting here at work my shoulder no longer feels like its just hanging there and raising it doesnt hurt as much..Im a believer !

Once again thank you !!!!

chewy078
08-31-2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks Dante .. This is my first post .. I have had some shoulder discomfort for about 2 years now in my left shoulder doesnt really stop me from lifting heavy (heavy for me anyway). I just did about 25 of these that was all i could do the first time out and my shoulder feels much better.. Thanks again

Doggcrapp
08-31-2007, 03:02 AM
I love hearing these posts---I know how anxious it can make you when you have a shoulder injury and your thinking "oh god how the heck am I going to train? Will I be able to train anymore?" It sucks

Im glad I could at least get the majority of you back on track here

KENKONG
09-07-2007, 07:12 PM
thanks DC, good stuff. I've done this type of stretch as part of my martial arts training... really keeps the shoulders loose.

OneO
09-25-2007, 01:01 AM
great post, ive got some pretty screwed up shoulders ( I wasnt able to move my right arm for 2 years AT ALL ) due to a fall at work , and this exercise is the ONLY thing that has restored the mobility and allows me to push without that "OMG my shoulder is gonna Implode" feeling . went on vacation for two weeks and didnt stretch but once or twice and my shoulder stiffened right back up . back at it every day agian and i feel great . :horn:

Thanks for the help .

Chris

Makav3li
10-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I was doing dumbell press today, and my left shoulder began to give out, and POP as I was failing. My whole arm was moving forward a little as if failed. I have mild pain in left shoulder almost where it connects with the pec muscle. Is it serious? What can I do for it to heal fast and heal back to normal?

RoaringMad Mac
10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't know if this is exactly what he is talking about but It would be nice to see one of the long time guys like skip do this. It really is an important stretch. I don't know if this young man is just making a joke or what but the precedence is correct

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ifxxbWwzKio"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ifxxbWwzKio" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

RoaringMad Mac
10-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't know if this is exactly what he is talking about but It would be nice to see one of the long time guys like skip do this. It really is an important stretch. I don't know if this young man is just making a joke or what but the precedence is correct

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifxxbWwzKio

Sources
10-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I started having clicking in my right shoulder, immediately looked online for help and I found this. I did the 50 reps, and after that finished, the clicking in my shoulder stopped. I was ecstatic.

However the clicking came back in 10 minutes. Does this mean in a couple weeks the clicking will stop, or do I have no hope?

hooligan pete
10-24-2007, 11:40 PM
I am having difficulty understanding the finish of the movement. Straight arms over head to middle of back.... do you finish like a straight arm version of a Nautilus pullover, or do you bend at the elbows, like an exagerated behind the neck pulldown? also, as an aside, one good way to cure rotator cuff problems is switch to DB presses, 15 to 30 range. Gets those stablizers going again...

coop
10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
First post eva, and if this sh-t works, will post plenty more. Have been plagued with rotator problems for the past three years due to rugby and would love to get back into shoulder and chest exercises which are currently impossible. Will hopefully be thanking you in a few weeks, started them tonight and was surprisingly ok at them. Will keep every1 posted

NWSaint
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Dante!!

Good stuff bruddah'.. i've been dealing with this "slight" bursitis in my
right shoulder with IBU's and ice, and while that has brought temporary
relief, I have this feeling that this stretch is just what I needed.. We'll
see! Anyways, I just started reading about the DC method, though
vaguely familiar with from past readings, & intend to go at it once I get
the true meaning down.. I've been training for just shy of 20 years and
am always open to a variety of methods.. I look forward to hit'n this
hard and with an open mind.. If I have any further questions I'll hit ya
up.. but nice job with the intro being a stretch, that's a good way to
start.

Aloha'

NWSaint.

Popiapang
11-23-2007, 01:18 PM
So does this replace Rotator cuff resistance work? Does DC training typically not include direct resistance work with the RC muscles?

Tight Five
01-08-2008, 02:28 AM
First post eva, and if this sh-t works, will post plenty more. Have been plagued with rotator problems for the past three years due to rugby and would love to get back into shoulder and chest exercises which are currently impossible. Will hopefully be thanking you in a few weeks, started them tonight and was surprisingly ok at them. Will keep every1 posted
Tore my right RC playing Rugby and ruptured my left AC joint (and broke collarbone) in a cycling accident. This type of stuff, plus the extreme chest and shoulder stretches, are great for protecting what I have left in my shoulders

Doggcrapp
02-28-2008, 12:33 AM
To say that this exercise will fix 90 % of shoulder problems is not accurate; I have suffered from shoulder problems for years. First and foremost see your doctor; I did every thing in the book to fix my problem. There are multiple problems with multiple causes that can cause your pain. This shoulder exercise may work for some people but not for all. I am not stating that it does not work, but what I am saying is that is important that you seek professional help... FIST AND FOR MOST THIS EXERSISE IS PERVENTENT MAINTANCE. It is great if you have no problems of the shoulders. You do this exercise then yes I can say that it will prevent shoulder problems. DO NOT DO THIS EXERCISE IF YOU HAVE SHOULDER PROBLEMS. It only inflames the shoulder more. I know I donít write on this site much, for this is my first, but I write this in hope that I may keep others from preventing you from going thru the same things I did. I use this exercise, after healing my shoulder and it work wonderfully. Do your researches and know that it wont get better if you donít let it heel. i write this to help my fellow brother and sister.....

bro 14 pages, too numerous to count emails to me and its all over other boards and all over bodybuilding.com with people that it has helped and your the one guy that has been derogatory.....I would say thats 90% of the time right on the button, and your the other 10%

5luke2
02-28-2008, 12:48 AM
To say that this exercise will fix 90 % of shoulder problems is not accurate; I have suffered from shoulder problems for years. First and foremost see your doctor; I did every thing in the book to fix my problem. There are multiple problems with multiple causes that can cause your pain. This shoulder exercise may work for some people but not for all. I am not stating that it does not work, but what I am saying is that is important that you seek professional help... FIST AND FOR MOST THIS EXERSISE IS PERVENTENT MAINTANCE. It is great if you have no problems of the shoulders. You do this exercise then yes I can say that it will prevent shoulder problems. DO NOT DO THIS EXERCISE IF YOU HAVE SHOULDER PROBLEMS. It only inflames the shoulder more. I know I donít write on this site much, for this is my first, but I write this in hope that I may keep others from preventing you from going thru the same things I did. I use this exercise, after healing my shoulder and it work wonderfully. Do your researches and know that it wont get better if you donít let it heel. i write this to help my fellow brother and sister.....

ive had shoulder problems, pretty serious ones. ive repeatidly seperated my left shoudler and these have helped tremendously. just last week i was able to bench more than i have in my entire life.

my good friend who has thown for sports his whole life started doing these and he finally feels good enough to lift weights again. hes been to countless therapists and PTs and they didnt do shit.

dont hate

mpking71
02-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Well being that you have a PHD in medicine and have a track record of 90 % and so much credibility to your name as an expert, as well as documentation to your claims and the fact that everyone in the world with shoulder problems has utilized this program has a recovery rate of 90 % then I have to say; when will you create a cure for cancer. Iím not saying that this stretching exercise does not work, Iím stating that with the small percentage that comes on this site stating that it has helped them is wonderful, but to make claims that it fixes 90 % of shoulder injury is ridicules. How do you know that this stretching exercise does not fix the 10 % that are out there? This has been out there for quite some time, I know for fact ballet dancers have utilized this for many years as preventive Maintenance. You may not agree with me and that is fine. all have to say is, to each his ownÖ

:flush:

Doggcrapp
02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Well being that you have a PHD in medicine and have a track record of 90 % and so much credibility to your name as an expert, as well as documentation to your claims and the fact that everyone in the world with shoulder problems has utilized this program has a recovery rate of 90 % then I have to say; when will you create a cure for cancer. I’m not saying that this stretching exercise does not work, I’m stating that with the small percentage that comes on this site stating that it has helped them is wonderful, but to make claims that it fixes 90 % of shoulder injury is ridicules. How do you know that this stretching exercise does not fix the 10 % that are out there? This has been out there for quite some time, I know for fact ballet dancers have utilized this for many years as preventive Maintenance. You may not agree with me and that is fine. all have to say is, to each his own…

:flush:

Heres something incredible and novel....and I cant believe Im going to say this because it could be just a groundbreaking development and change the way modern society on earth thinks as a whole...........if you dont agree with it or dont want to do it................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................don't

PS: very sorry your shoulder problems have made you so bitter that some simple advice I threw up there on the board to help some guys has made you so outraged. It honestly could of been a thread that got lost eons ago, someone else made it a sticky on here and the only reason you have ever heard about it is because so many people have read it (71 thousand) and its been cut and pasted all over the place. I should be absolutely ashamed of myself for fixing some guys impingement problems that they thought were rotator cuff tears. How will I ever recover from such shame? To the guys on this board that this movement has been a godsend to you.....I apoligize greatly.....you should of scheduled surgery.

ScottMcDonough
02-29-2008, 12:03 AM
mpking71, why are you here? If the thread was called "Hey guys I think this works for some people with certain shoulders problems but not with others" would that be ok?

Read Luke's post right above you and then figure out why he put this out here to begin with, to HELP people.

eryanb
02-29-2008, 12:36 AM
mpking71, why are you here? If the thread was called "Hey guys I think this works for some people with certain shoulders problems but not with others" would that be ok?

Read Luke's post right above you and then figure out why he put this out here to begin with, to HELP people.

LOL, I was thinking that too. The 90% is obviously just a figure of speech. It's not like Dante was actually trying to claim some kind of statistically significant number.

Most people realize that subconsciously and don't even think about it. mpking71 on the other hand is taking over analysis to a fine art and displaying anal retentive tendencies far in excess of normal.

mpking71
02-29-2008, 01:50 AM
71 thousand; please show me these numbers. I donít write much here but I read on all forums from this one to bodybuilding.com to elifts.com if my statements are so influential then you have nothing to worry about.. Point is you have no definitive point to your conclusion ... only your words.

ScottMcDonough
02-29-2008, 02:03 AM
71 thousand; please show me these numbers.

Views- 71,349
:frusty:

JoeyDB30
03-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Just wanted to say thanks again, I posted here back in August when my shoulder problems accured after a football game and have been doing the excersize ever since on and off.

Its been a few months now and Im finally back to full strength (well even heavier) thanks to your great excersize, I cant thank you enough for bringing back my motivation and strength..I really thought all hope was lost when I got busted up but yes now I am back thanks to you :)

Sorry for my messed up writing but English isnt my first language ;)

THANKS AGAIN DC

Eld
04-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for this if you still read these threads, Dante. I've had recurring shoulder problems in both shoulder since high school, and after merely 2 weeks doing this stretch (had to start with a 6-foot bo), I have no more pain in my shoulders when pressing, and they don't click in and out. So thanks, this has been a lifesaver!

(I was muttering nonsensical expletives at you the first time I did it though...I admit).

Doggcrapp
04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
No problem Eld, glad it helped you out. MPking on the other hand is on a bell tower wanting to shoot me still I think.

bigla2004
04-16-2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/7_steps_to_a_balanced_fighter

Bottom of that page.. dante proves to be wise way before common knowledge once again.. 2-3 sets of 10-12.. NOT DCers ;)

gopostal42
04-21-2008, 12:49 AM
thanks dante, i have the opposite problem of most as i'm overly flexable. as a result, i've had a several shoulder dislocations in both shoulders, and this movement actually seems to help more than anything by breaking apart a lot of scar tissue thats built up and i could actually do some light behind the neck military for the first time since high school. thank ya sir

TheUnlikelyHERO
04-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I need some help from all of you if you don't mind:

Last February (yes, like over a year ago), I strained my shoulder when all of my roommates and I were trying to push/pick-up the front end of my roommates car to get it out of a ditch since it was in the snow and couldn't move. Keep in mind that I had surgery on this shoulder 4 years before this for dislocation and separation.

Anyway, i went to the ER that night and the doctor said it was "just" strained and I should be fine in a few weeks. Somehow I didn't believe her. After taking a few months off from lifting it was still not better. I went to a Sports doctor and he also said it was strained, and that I still showed strong strength there. He gave me the basic RC stretching and strengthening exercises and said I'd be fine.

So I did light lifting and stretching for about 3 months with no avail. I figured maybe I shouldn't be doing anything and that resting it until it got better was the best idea. So I took off last August and haven't lifted since then. My shoulder is slightly better but it still snaps and gets "caught" on itself when I reach overhead, behind my back, etc.

I used to do this stretch everyday right up until the day I hurt it but obviously I had to stop when I hurt it since I didn't have any ROM. That same sports doctor said that this stretch was COMPLETELY counter-productive and VERY unsafe, as well as very dangerous. He even went so far as to say that if I was doing this regularly than it could have been stretching my shoulder muscles/CT/tendons to the point where they were weakened and caused my accident.

Sorry for the long read but I want to do anything I can besides surgery again to heal my shoulder. Obviously taking time off isn't helping, and the basic RC laterals and cable sweeps didn't do anything.

Should I continue to do this again?

0verlord
04-30-2008, 12:32 PM
So I did light lifting and stretching for about 3 months with no avail. I figured maybe I shouldn't be doing anything and that resting it until it got better was the best idea. So I took off last August and haven't lifted since then. My shoulder is slightly better but it still snaps and gets "caught" on itself when I reach overhead, behind my back, etc.

Sorry to say it bro but that "catching" and "snapping" you are feeling probably is your labrum. You said you had prior surgery for a dislocation, did it cause any tear to your labrum that you know of? When you lifted the car, sure you could have strained it, but the location of this popping and snapping is your golden ticket. Is it located in the front of your shoulder? Then its an anterior labrum issue, how about the top? AC joint/tendon issue, or the back? Maybe superior labrum issue? If its even located in your armpit area, if its more the back or front of your shoulder it could very well be muscle or tendon related. Hmm the last thing i can think of is if your trap muscle or neck has any weird sensations. If thats the case then that points to a labrum issue too. I had two bankart lesions for anterior labrum tears and bursitis so i know how ya feel, it blows big time to have shoulder aches and pains, especially being a post op person. Good luck with it, im icing my shoulder as i type this. Overdid it on the pressing last week.

TheUnlikelyHERO
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry to say it bro but that "catching" and "snapping" you are feeling probably is your labrum. You said you had prior surgery for a dislocation, did it cause any tear to your labrum that you know of? When you lifted the car, sure you could have strained it, but the location of this popping and snapping is your golden ticket. Is it located in the front of your shoulder? Then its an anterior labrum issue, how about the top? AC joint/tendon issue, or the back? Maybe superior labrum issue? If its even located in your armpit area, if its more the back or front of your shoulder it could very well be muscle or tendon related. Hmm the last thing i can think of is if your trap muscle or neck has any weird sensations. If thats the case then that points to a labrum issue too. I had two bankart lesions for anterior labrum tears and bursitis so i know how ya feel, it blows big time to have shoulder aches and pains, especially being a post op person. Good luck with it, im icing my shoulder as i type this. Overdid it on the pressing last week.

The pain is mostly always in the back of the shoulder. No weird sensations in trap or neck muscles, just shoulder. It does feel like tendon/joint issue because I've been able to tell ever since I started separating my shoulder back in High school. After surgery my shoulder was 95% okay, I used to lift without putting any limits on my workouts and my shoulder always held up perfectly fine (my right side was just about 5% weaker than my left).

Then this happened with the car and it's back down the shitter. So you believe it's a joint/tendon issue? Does that mean it's impingement?

TXFlySwatter
05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Am I the only one that is having problems with this stretch?
It seems like you need to be douple jointed to be able to do this.
When I get the broom stick over my head and slightly behind it, it just stops.
It seems like the physiology of your shoulder joint would prevent this movement.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

TheUnlikelyHERO
05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Am I the only one that is having problems with this stretch?
It seems like you need to be douple jointed to be able to do this.
When I get the broom stick over my head and slightly behind it, it just stops.
It seems like the physiology of your shoulder joint would prevent this movement.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

You probably have your hands much too inward on the broom. Try holding the broom as far as possible and doing the stretch, it's completely possible. Then you need to slowly inch your way in with your hands.

supermanxx
05-09-2008, 12:44 AM
so before i read this post a while back i always had a nagging pain in my shoulder when i worked out.... i started doing these and now my shoulders feels like a million bucks now i do them every day before i work out no matter wa body part... i feel like its a great way to warm up and stretch out my upper body

Pheedno
05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
I have to say, this has been a true blessing to my training. I've had grade II and III AC - sprains in both shoulders and couple years back and have had chronic shoulder inbalance in my right side ever since. All during last years contest prep I was struggling and have never really been able to pick up my upper body to match my legs because of the ailment. I started doing this stretch about a month ago and am almost back to optimal performance in a lot of upper body movements that have been severely inhibited.

It has also helped a couple of my clients.

Muscle_Mike
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
My injury was on the rear inside of my left shoulder. I first aggravated it from doing bent over rows with 55 pound dumbbells. Something inside of my shoulder tweaked when I was leaning my bodyweight on the bench with my left arm supporting me. I've done this exercise with no problems in my younger years but after a long 3 year layoff it got me.

To avoid flaring up the injury I have since skipped any kind of weightlifting exercise where I stretch my arms behind me like dumbbell and pec dec flyes. Tricep pushdowns also flared up my injury after workouts so I skipped those too. Forget dumbbell rows, I am now doing pulley rows and not leaning my bodyweight onto any shoulder. Flat benching has been no problem unlike others with shoulder injuries who have to avoid it.

It's getting better thanks to avoiding a few exercises and doing reps of this shoulder stretch with a broomstick. I no longer feel pain in my shoulder when I am doing every day things. It's not 100% gone but it's a lot better.

Tight Five
07-04-2008, 03:52 AM
71 thousand; please show me these numbers. I donít write much here but I read on all forums from this one to bodybuilding.com to elifts.com if my statements are so influential then you have nothing to worry about.. Point is you have no definitive point to your conclusion ... only your words.
When I sit down the lounge in front of the TV to do some watching I, like most guys, stick my hands down the front of my pants a la Al Bundy. 100% of the time this is satisfying to me. I have no stats to prove the 100% efficacy apart from my own experience.

Should I undertake some form of PhD study to quantify and qualify the feelings I get or should I just do it because it works and feels OK?

StringerBell
07-09-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm new around here, been lurking for a while. My shoulder has recently acted up and I've been doing the stretch with a hockey stick, which has helped tremendously. I was able to overhead press Monday without any pain, however, horizontal pressing is another story. I did some close-grip bench, was able to work through it, but it was definitely painful. I thought it was kind of strange that the vertical press would be pain free, but the horizontal not so much. Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

-Stringer

NewLifter4DC
07-09-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm new around here, been lurking for a while. My shoulder has recently acted up and I've been doing the stretch with a hockey stick, which has helped tremendously. I was able to overhead press Monday without any pain, however, horizontal pressing is another story. I did some close-grip bench, was able to work through it, but it was definitely painful. I thought it was kind of strange that the vertical press would be pain free, but the horizontal not so much. Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

-Stringer
Stop doing the DC Stretch for now. Do some shoulder prehab exercises:
Facepulls
Overhead Band Pull-aparts
Push-up Plus
Dip Shrugs
Dumbbell Press Plus
Overhead Shrugs

Do 1-2 of these exercises each training session and 2-3 weeks. Do 1-2 sets of each exercise for 15-20 reps.

After that, see if your numbers on the horizontal pressing have improved. If they haven't, then I suggest you go meet a doctor. If they do improve, lay off the broom stretch and continue to do the prehab work.

Are you warming up correctly? Mobility drills, etc?

StringerBell
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks a lot for the reply, man, appreciate it. I've just added in some face pulls and external rotations before training. I'm supposed to train chest/back today, so I should get a good idea of how the shoulder is.

As to the horizontal pressing numbers, I was able to improve my lifts, just some pain in the shoulder. I was thinking this could just be some sort of imbalance with having more horizontal pressing versus pulling, as my triceps movements are both pressing movements.

Just curious as to why I should discontinue the DC stretch?

NewLifter4DC
07-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply, man, appreciate it. I've just added in some face pulls and external rotations before training. I'm supposed to train chest/back today, so I should get a good idea of how the shoulder is.

As to the horizontal pressing numbers, I was able to improve my lifts, just some pain in the shoulder. I was thinking this could just be some sort of imbalance with having more horizontal pressing versus pulling, as my triceps movements are both pressing movements.

Just curious as to why I should discontinue the DC stretch?
..Because the DC Shoulder stretch might be causing the problem. Or it might not. If you take it out of the equation you'll know for sure. Perhaps its a press vs. pull argument.... but if you cut out the DC Stretch and if your shoulders feel better with all the prehab work being done after each workout, you will know what is the real problem.

Good Luck

StringerBell
07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
..Because the DC Shoulder stretch might be causing the problem. Or it might not. If you take it out of the equation you'll know for sure. Perhaps its a press vs. pull argument.... but if you cut out the DC Stretch and if your shoulders feel better with all the prehab work being done after each workout, you will know what is the real problem.

Good Luck

Thanks bro.

Hornydanhorn
07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi everyone, jus joined this. about a year ago i tore my RC hittin the weights and after many scans and tests they decided to operate on me (8 weeks ago i had the op) but when he opened me up he found my shoulder socket worn and damaged which was due to numerous dislocations which i didnt even know i had!! (they reckon it was popping in and out quickly which would explain some shootin pains i had evey so often when i was workin) they ended up repairing my RC and have put metal anchors in my socket which apparently will NOT give me any long term restrictions. does anyone have any help on exercises which i could could now to help tone me back up because ive lost everythin :-( i see a physio 1 a fortnight but all she does is help wiv flexibility. any help would be much appreciated!! cheers
Dan

GedM
08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
I dislocated my left shoulder for the first time a few days ago, whilst loosing control of a heavy dumbbell doing millitery presses.
Is this a recommended exercise as part of my rehabilitation I'll be starting in a few weeks, or should I avoid this in case of redislocation?

Thanks

NewLifter4DC
08-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Do not do this if you have had shoulder dislocations. Bad bad idea.

worldtripper
08-31-2008, 05:41 AM
Thanks for this, my shoulders were very inflexible, but i have been doing this for a week now and noticed improvement.

mthomps5
10-11-2008, 12:55 AM
i have had a screwed up left shoulder for over a year. I have been doing this stretch for about 3 weeks and my shoulder pain is completely gone. A god send is all i can say

Doggcrapp
10-11-2008, 03:30 AM
glad to hear it mthomp--congrats

Doggcrapp
10-11-2008, 03:41 AM
hey i just saw these photos today at the bottom of this guys blog

http://www.blogas.lt/Linas/

this guy is right on the money with those photos

Job well done!!!

ed515
10-14-2008, 10:56 PM
hey i just saw these photos today at the bottom of this guys blog

blogas..lt/Linas/

this guy is right on the money with those photos

Job well done!!!

awesome find. it's way easier to visualize the movement with pics. thanks for all the info.

crazyray
10-22-2008, 11:28 PM
hello everyone, first post here...

about 4 months ago, whether it be from lifting heavy, or playing sports, or whatever else... i started to develope pain in my left shoulder.

i didn't go to my doctor right away, because as far as things went... i had NO pain in daily activity. the only time i had pain is when pressing chest or shoulders. minor in flat, and as my shoulder angle increased, the pain would get worse.

anyway, met up with a buddy of mine who competed NPC in the tri-state in the mid 90s. after moving my arm around in a bunch of different positions, he ruled that i had bad tendonitis of my supraspinatus tendon. he reccomended me to a good friend ART guy.

went to the ART guy, and my left shoulder was really weak when testing it. in addition to supraspinatus tendonitis, my intraspinatus was also really inflamed. did a bunch of active release sessions, shoulder strength came back 100% but there was still pain. still haven't been able to do any kind of chest pressing or shoulder pressing.

so in my searchings of the internet, i stumbled upon this thread. while i am due to have an MRI done sometime next week, in the meantime the last two nights i've been doing this exercise. looking into getting some menthol rub as well.

the reason WHY i believe its only tendonitis and not a partial RC cuff tear is the tightness that comes along with it. even so, if its not a deep tear, i'll get reccomended PT... so i figure i have nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving this a run until i get the MRI done.

it takes alot for me to stay away from the rack to "test" the shoulder, so i'm hoping that just posting in this thread will be a way for me to JUST do the shoulder dislocations...

hopefully it works, the time put into this

-ray

OptimusPrime
10-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi all,

Just joined up after reading this interesting thread. I've had pain in both shoulders (anterior deltoid/rotator cuffs) while doing any kind of benching. Flat bench in particular is a killer, especially at the bottom of the movement. After many physio treatments it turns out I've built up a lot of scar tissue in both shoulders after benching heavy for so many yrs. My symptoms are similar to yours Crazyray - has this stretch helped you out? My front delts are really inflammed after benching for 2-3 days.

I have some ART treatment booked this wk. Will let you know how it goes & will give this exercise a try! Not been able to bench heavy without massive shoulder pain for the last 6-12 months!

Thanks for a great thread!

crazyray
10-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi all,

Just joined up after reading this interesting thread. I've had pain in both shoulders (anterior deltoid/rotator cuffs) while doing any kind of benching. Flat bench in particular is a killer, especially at the bottom of the movement. After many physio treatments it turns out I've built up a lot of scar tissue in both shoulders after benching heavy for so many yrs. My symptoms are similar to yours Crazyray - has this stretch helped you out? My front delts are really inflammed after benching for 2-3 days.

I have some ART treatment booked this wk. Will let you know how it goes & will give this exercise a try! Not been able to bench heavy without massive shoulder pain for the last 6-12 months!

Thanks for a great thread!

ART is good, this stretch is better

the first time you go to ART you will literally hear a saran wrap sound when they are breaking up the scar tissue

as of now, its been 8 or so days

the pain has come down significantly, but i still feel it. the stiffness hasn't gone away as fast. but this is how tendinitis works. firs the pain subsides, then as you get closer to 100% you start to lose the stiffness that comes from inflammation (someone surely correct me if im long)

my best guess is that i have some sort of impingement that is slowly starting to be reset due to the RC shoulder dislocation stretch

ive been doing a bunch of other stretches, and some RC exercises along with scapular retraction.

ScottMcDonough
10-29-2008, 11:43 PM
If you plan on DC training drop the flat bench, your shoulders will thank you.

wrkn4bigmuscles
11-12-2008, 10:35 AM
i started doing these last night before I ran and then again this morning before my workout, my shoulders felt good, little sore from the actual movement I assume because I never worked my shoulders like that. Im keeping this a staple before each workout whether cardio or weights. Thanks DC

haubs09
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Thank you so much for this strech... I had impingment in my shoulder, and out of place shoulder blade for the longest time causing pain, so i went to the docter got that fixed but still felt some pain after wards, but after i did this, its gone.. Thank you so much... Really it means alot me to. Thank you.

zhangmaster12
11-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I would just like to thank you for this. I have a shoulder problem (popping) in my left shoulder, and although its not fixed completely yet, this helps a lot. Also make my shoulder feel much better. Thanks

1st Post!

Google