View Full Version : LH's Powerbuilding Routine (Modified)

boondocksmuscle
02-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Ok, in a couple weeks I'm gonna start LH's powerbuilding routine. I'm gonna stick to it the way it's laid out for at least 3-4 weeks. After that though I was thinking about using some rest pausing for some of my accessory work. Let me know what you think. If it's junk I'll trash it and just stick w/ the way LH outlined it. Thanks guys.

Mondays

Bench Press - 3 sets x 5-7 reps

Incline Bench Press- 3 sets x 6-8 reps

Flat Bench Db Presses or Flyes- 3 sets x 10 reps

If I'm gonna do deads on Wednesday I'll pick 1 back width exercise and then do something like hypers, rev hypers, or pull throughs. The back width exercise is the one I would rest pause. If no deads on Wednesday I'll pick a back width exercise (rest paused) and something like DB rows, barbell rows, or corner rows for back thickness.

Abs

Wednesday

Squats- 3-4 sets x 5-7 and 3-5 reps schemes work best

Deadlifts- 3 sets x 3-5

Leg Curls- 3 sets x 8-10 (probably rotate RDL's and DB leg curls in here too)

Leg Ext- 3 sets x 8-10 (Might rest pause- 15-20rp)

Bicep work- 1 exercise 15-20rp

Abs

Fridays

Close Grip Bench- 15-20rp

Front Presses- 15-20rp

PJR's or Skulls- 1 straight set 15-20 reps

Side Laterals- 1 straight set 15-20 reps

Abs

Liftin'heavy
02-26-2008, 02:31 AM
No routine should be set in stone. Everyone is different and should attack muscle groups with the exercises that they feel gives them the best results. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Sentinel
02-26-2008, 03:35 AM
glute ham raises....i LOVE glute ham raises

DuckDuckGoose
02-26-2008, 06:50 AM
boon , good luck with the new routine bro .

l.h.'s powerbuilding routine = huge numbers and lots of poon .

5luke2
02-26-2008, 10:44 AM
lots of poon = huge numbers

its s vicious circle that LH can relate too

iron05
02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
To behonest with you, bro, i don't see how that exactly falls under the category of "powerbuilding" with doing deads once a week and not too many rows/pulls

boondocksmuscle
02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
No routine should be set in stone. Everyone is different and should attack muscle groups with the exercises that they feel gives them the best results. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Thanks LH

glute ham raises....i LOVE glute ham raises

I'm trying to work out a way to do those. My gym doesn't have the actual machine so I'll have to make do with what I can. Hopefully I can make them work though.

boon , good luck with the new routine bro .

l.h.'s powerbuilding routine = huge numbers and lots of poon .

:peace:

lots of poon = huge numbers

its s vicious circle that LH can relate too

I think he planned it like that lol

To behonest with you, bro, i don't see how that exactly falls under the category of "powerbuilding" with doing deads once a week and not too many rows/pulls

I'm only gonna deadlift once every two or three weeks. Like I'll deadlift week 1, no deads on weeks 2 and 3, then pull again on week 4. On the weeks I don't pull on wednesday I'll pick from rack deads, barbell rows, DB rows, corner rows, goodmornings etc. If I am pulling on Wednesday I'll do hypers, rev hypers, or pull throughs.

DuckDuckGoose
02-26-2008, 12:50 PM
sounds pretty solid boon .

greystreet posted up a pic some time ago with a guy doing glute ham raises on a swiss ball . ive only experimented with these once or twice . there very challenging for me , cause i suck at g.h.r's . but it is one method to do them if you dont have the actual machine . i'll see if i can find the pic .

boondocksmuscle
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I remember seeing that one now that you mention it. Looks like a good way to hurt myself lol. Those might actually be the most feasible for me though. Thanks for the reminder DDG.

Adam2433
02-26-2008, 01:34 PM

most people only pull once every 2-4 weeks.

iron05
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
I personally know a couple Louis' guys who would definitely disagree with that sentiment.

boondocksmuscle
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Well I'm not one of Louis' boys so it doesn't really matter lol

DuckDuckGoose
02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
I remember seeing that one now that you mention it. Looks like a good way to hurt myself lol. Those might actually be the most feasible for me though. Thanks for the reminder DDG.

hey boon , if you find that you cant do the ghr's , then just stick with 45 degree back raises , pullthroughs , shit like that . its not written in stone that you have to do glute ham raises . dont get me wrong , ghr's are more manly than peanut butter and beer , but shit , if you cant do them , work around them . you got a lot of options in the powerlifting / powerbuilding world .

and adam is right , you dont have to deadlifts every week .

boondocksmuscle
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Actually I found something I can do the with today. The leg ext machine and the seated leg curl machine at my gym both have a bar that runs across the back that is the perfect height to lock my heels into and we have an old bench pad that I can lay down to put my knees on. I grabbed one of the neck pads for the barbells and slipped that on the bar over my heels and I was ready to go! I did a couple sets of those today instead of sumo leg press and holy shit. I've never felt anything like that in my hamstrings. I had to assist myself a ton to get back up but I did them.

DuckDuckGoose
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
dude , thats awesome !!! glad you figured out a way to do them .

first time i tried ghr's , i did one on my own before i had to assist myself .

boondocksmuscle
02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
dude , thats awesome !!! glad you figured out a way to do them .

first time i tried ghr's , i did one on my own before i had to assist myself .

I made it down to the floor with no assistance. Does that count? lol

boondocksmuscle
02-26-2008, 06:52 PM
One more thing I've been looking at. I figured I'd do some GPP at least twice a week. I'm gonna make a sled out of an old tire or something.

I read something about the best time to do some sled dragging is the day after squats. Anyone agree w/ it or does it really matter when I do it as long as I do it?

Liftin'heavy
02-27-2008, 02:31 AM
I personally know a couple Louis' guys who would definitely disagree with that sentiment.

I was one of Lou's guys and we never pulled every week. And by squatting heavy and pulling heavy on the same day, week after week you're gonna turn to shit. This has been my experience with the 3 day routine I posted and why I suggest you don't do it.

idk
02-27-2008, 03:53 AM
BD: theres a GHR setup that i like. what i do is get into a smith machine. it has to have a beam running across the top. what i do is drop the bar all the way to the bottom and put a good 250lbs of weight on it. get one of those foam neck protector things thats always lying around and put it around the middle. next get one of those blue foam mat thingies and put that on the floor. get a mini band and choke it around the beam on top of the smith machine. put your heels under the bar, put the band either around your head or hold it around your neck and that should assist you at the bottom.

just in case you can't picture it, heres DBCB doing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8QR3XP4x3M

boondocksmuscle
02-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks IDK. I'll have to get my hands on some bands and give that a shot.

DuckDuckGoose
02-28-2008, 08:39 PM
i just ordered some bands . cant wait till they get here .

you going to keep a log of this new routine boonster ?

boondocksmuscle
02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
U know it man. It'll be in the journal I already have goin :thumb:

Google